Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
Owl_
Addict
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
About boox quality

I was thinking to buy an Onyx Boox, and I have a question: if an onyx boox get frozen or broken, can I restore it to its factory status? Or must I send it for repair or throw it away?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1,2,3, Kindle DX, Onyx M96, Onyx i86 Plus, Onyx Boox Max
Yes in most cases that seems to be possible. I got a reflash firmware from the ERS in the past. Doesn't mean every frozen situation can be handled that way.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Suspended
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I was thinking to buy an Onyx Boox, and I have a question: if an onyx boox get frozen or broken, can I restore it to its factory status? Or must I send it for repair or throw it away?
It's just like any other device.
Some things you can fix yourself, for other defects there are service centers and some things are not repairable.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:50 PM   #4
Owl_
Addict
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It's just like any other device.
Some things you can fix yourself, for other defects there are service centers and some things are not repairable.
I mean matched with kindle and kobo, has it the same stability?

I read that run Android, can I install the KOReader app?
Old 05-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Suspended
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
I mean matched with kindle and kobo, has it the same stability?
I have Kindle, Kobo and Tolino - they are turned off in a basement shelf (only Tolino Epos 2 is still in use by these brands).
In direct use there are:
- Likebook P6 + SD - reading device for travel
- Boox Poke 3 - reading device for on the go
- Likebook Ares Note + SD - for notes and comments in pdf (on the go)
- Likebook Alita Note + SD - for handwritten comments in scores and music notes (inside)
- Boox Note Air + keyboard - as replacement for my laptop (it's also in the basement)
I am satisfied with the quality of these devices.
Quote:
I read that run Android, can I install the KOReader app?
Of course, it is possible.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 AM   #6
Owl_
Addict

Old 05-08-2021, 06:17 AM   #7
Renate
Connoisseur
Renate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, Kobo Aura2, Poke3
Quote:
Can I restore it to its factory status? Or must I send it for repair or throw it away?
I have no knowledge of any models of Onyx Boox except the Poke 3.
If you make a full 32 GB backup of the Poke 3 you can always restore it.
(Although you might have to pop the back off.)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
Owl_
Addict

Would you suggest me to wait the coming model or to buy now the Poke 3?
Old 05-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
Renate
Connoisseur
Renate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the partyRenate brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, Kobo Aura2, Poke3
Quote:
Would you suggest me to wait the coming model or to buy now the Poke 3?
Sorry, I don't know about any upcoming model.

As an ex B&N Glow2 user I am impressed by the processing speed of the Poke3 but not looking forward to changing the annoying aspects of the Poke3 software.

When all is said and done, using my own ereader app on the Glow2 is identical to using it on the Poke3
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
Owl_
Addict

I search an ereader with great hardware performance, and the onyx boox brand seems good. The poke 3 seems the right choise.

I do not mind a 6 inch and low resolution screen. My hub point is the powerfull hardware performance, that in some case can be better with a simple screen or others old features

Which of both old and new model would you choose?

Any opinion is welcome
Old 05-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
What do you want to do with your Reader besides KOReader? KOReader runs very well on your Kobo Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Which of both old and new model would you choose?

Any opinion is welcome
All depends on what you will be reading and with what reading app.

Personally, I like the Nova line of models the best. Great portability, yet big enough for note taking and for reading PDFs when in landscape mode.

Personally, I quite like my Nova 3 Color. But, if you don't need colour, the Nova 3 would be a good choice.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
Owl_
Addict

I am switching between ereader and phone apps to read text on several apps, surf on the web, and other

The reading performance of an Onyx should be excellent, even with a massive ebook full of links.
I am worried about the hardware performances: how does it handle a web browser for example? Can I instal 4-5 apps without crashing issues?
Old 05-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
My Onyx Boox Note 2 runs the android arm .apk version very well. These newer Onyx devices running Android 9 and with faster CPUs and decent memory, make for lively ereaders. Web browsing on a black and white eink device has its limitations, but has been usable for a number of sites I have tried. That is using the stock browser. I haven't tried adding another.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I have a good number of apps installed on my various Boox ereaders. No significant issues for those apps that I use once I have them optimized for my device.

As for other apps, that would all depend on the specific app. Some apps don't work well on eink devices.

Although I don't do a lot of browsing on the internet, it is fairly pleasant to do so on the newer Boox models. Just make sure that you have the device in A2 mode to make scrolling smoother.

Although the stock browser is fine, you might want to try einkbro which is a relatively new browser and which was specifically developed for eink screens. I have now installed it on all my eink devices. Works quite well. You can find it to download from a number of places, including the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote