Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
mexmax
mexmax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
italics converting to bold in Calibre

Hi There. I'm new to Calibre and this forum. Thank you ahead for any help you can give! I'm having an issue converting a docx file to mobi using Calibre (Mac). All italicized words are becoming bold. I like my words to be bold, but only when I say so! (that's a joke). Any ideas?
mexmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmax View Post
Hi There. I'm new to Calibre and this forum. Thank you ahead for any help you can give! I'm having an issue converting a docx file to mobi using Calibre (Mac). All italicized words are becoming bold. I like my words to be bold, but only when I say so! (that's a joke). Any ideas?
Which word processor are you using to create the DOCX?

Try converting your DOCX to EPUB, if its okay then: Why are you converting to MOBI, there maybe be better alternatives, but I'll let others speak to that.

How are you making the text bold in your word processor, inline (select text and Ctrl+B or click a button) or by applying a Style.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
mexmax
mexmax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm converting to .mobi by exporting out of Pages. I'm using .mobi rather than .ePub because it is my understanding that that is the current best format for sending to Kindle devices (please correct me if I'm wrong). I am creating the italics in Pages inline rather than using styles. Those italicized words are ending up bold in the converted .mobi doc. Thanks!
mexmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The MOBI format is ancient, the preferred format for most Kindles is KF8 (aka AZW3), see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_formats

Quote:
KF8 - (Also called AZW3) It is basically ePub compiled with the PDB wrapper and with Amazon DRM. This format is supported by all Amazon readers from the Kindle Keyboard 3 onwards.
That explains why i suggested you try converting to EPUB. If the bold converts correctly to EPUB the problem is in converting to MOBI, but if it converts to italics the problem is converting Pages implementation of DOCX.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-21-2021 at 02:16 AM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
but if it converts to italics the problem is converting Pages implementation of DOCX. BR
I've tried, working with a couple of authors, to get Pages output to work well, and each time it is a PITA. Both times I had to use the dynamite approach to get rid of all formatting and start over in Writer. I don't know any Pages detail, just my experience.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmax View Post
Convert to ePub instead. You can convert from DOCX to ePub using Calibre. No need for the rubbish that is Pages. and then you cal load the eBook into the editor and see the code. Do yourself a huge favor and forget Pages exists. It's a horrible program.

Then once the ePub is done, you can use that as the source as your Kindle eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2021 at 04:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, I always convert docx to epub in Calibre, then use the ePub for any other format except PDF.
PDFs are exported from a differently formatted version in LO Writer. We always load/save in ODT with Writer, only doing an EXTRA Save As in docx for Calibre, because otherwise Writer is converting the file every time you edit.

Up to 2013 we used MS Word, then LO Writer only. Then November 2016 switched from Windows to Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote