Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
GLCompany
GLCompany began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
Move from Windows to Imac .... how?

Hi,
I moved from Windows 10 to Imac and want to take my Calibre Library with me. So far I didn't succeed.
In Windows I made changes in the folder and they would instantly work in Calibre program. In Mac I tried the same but Calibre program doesn't recognize the changes.
Using the tool to export or import through a usb stick doesn't work either because Windows doesn't recognize a Mac made usb stick.
Who helps me out ??

11 August 20178 : Thanks everybody, it worked

Last edited by GLCompany; 08-11-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Solved
GLCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:11 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
You can format the USB stick on Windows and the iMac will recognize it. Normally, all USB sticks come pre-formated so that both machines will recognize it. I simply copied my Calibre library from my windows box to my Mac back when I moved from Windows to Mac. I don't remember any issues.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
Elenax
Elenax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes pwalker8 is right fat32 format will not work with mac you have to empty your usb stick and format it as NTFS this way when you move files mac can easily recognize the file system and you are good to go..
Elenax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenax View Post
Yes pwalker8 is right fat32 format will not work with mac you have to empty your usb stick and format it as NTFS this way when you move files mac can easily recognize the file system and you are good to go..
FAT32 works fine on Mac, as it has full read-write support for it. NTFS on the other hand, har read-only support on Mac.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
FAT32 works fine on Mac, as it has full read-write support for it. NTFS on the other hand, har read-only support on Mac.
Correct, though there are some 3rd party tools that allow read & write with NTFS formatted drives.

Also, Windows (WinXP, sp3 onward) and macOS (10.6.5 onward) support exFAT for both read and write. This format allows for larger files (>2gb) than FAT32. This isn't usually an issue for ebooks, though some comics and various PDF documents can pose issues. Problems can arise if you use a FAT32 formatted drive when copying folders containing large files.

I generally use exFAT for the various Flash Drives and portable HDs that I move back and forth between Windows PCs and Macs. The only issues I've encountered seem to be the result of some shortcommings in the MacOS Disk Utility's formatting of exFAT drives. I now always format on a Windows PC and no longer have any issues.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert