Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I must say, I don't really see the difference you are trying to draw. That's just the way corporations work.
Then I can only say, go in peace, and,
Quote:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
According to this post on Nate's Blog this report is basically useless.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 AM   #18
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't really see your point. Woolworth transformed itself into the Foot Locker. That really doesn't sound like suits ignoring change to me.
Sometimes when you have made a mistake or misinterpreted something, particularly when it is obvious, it is a good idea to politely acknowledge this and perhaps even thank the relevant person for pointing out your error. We are all only human.

Just a suggestion.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Sometimes when you have made a mistake or misinterpreted something, particularly when it is obvious, it is a good idea to politely acknowledge this and perhaps even thank the relevant person for pointing out your error. We are all only human.

Just a suggestion.
What mistake are you talking about? That I misunderstood that he was talking about the execs rather that the suit making division? If so, yes you have a point. I should have acknowledged that. My bad.

Do you mean the other point about rebranding and spinning off foot locker? I really don't understand why he thinks that's different or significant. It really does happen all the time in the business world.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
At one time (at least some) corporate heads took pride in the number of employees they hired and how well they treated them. Now they brag about how much they've reduced their workforce and enhanced their corporate bottom line. (Often right before going under, selling off the pieces to vultures and sucking out the marrow from the bones.)
That's certainly true enough, but as far as I can tell that certainly is not the case here. They simply rebranded one of their divisions. It seems to be quite successful and employees quite a few people.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #21
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
What mistake are you talking about? That I misunderstood that he was talking about the execs rather that the suit making division? If so, yes you have a point. I should have acknowledged that. My bad.

Do you mean the other point about rebranding and spinning off foot locker? I really don't understand why he thinks that's different or significant. It really does happen all the time in the business world.
The former, which you have now rectified. Thank you. I don't know enough about the latter to have formed any opinion.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
That's certainly true enough, but as far as I can tell that certainly is not the case here. They simply rebranded one of their divisions. It seems to be quite successful and employees quite a few people.
No, they didn't simply "rebrand" one of their divisions. As far as I can tell, Foot Locker was not rebranded at all. What they did was create a new company and siphoned off the money-making divisions from the old company. In other words, they were preparing to let Woolworth's (proper) founder, while they built a life-boat to watch it sink. They didn't fix (or attempt to fix) the problems with Woolworth's, they gave up on it. This kept the suits happy, but the employees and (probably) the investors in the original F.W. Woolworth Company were screwed.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No, they didn't simply "rebrand" one of their divisions. As far as I can tell, Foot Locker was not rebranded at all. What they did was create a new company and siphoned off the money-making divisions from the old company. In other words, they were preparing to let Woolworth's (proper) founder, while they built a life-boat to watch it sink. They didn't fix (or attempt to fix) the problems with Woolworth's, they gave up on it. This kept the suits happy, but the employees and (probably) the investors in the original F.W. Woolworth Company were screwed.
Hum, that's not what the linked article said. It said the company first renamed themselves Venator Group, and then Foot Locker, Inc. The department store had a pretty long run, from 1879 to 1997. Not many companies last that long.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #24
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've sacrificed too many IQ points to Forbes' writers in the past. Those links don't get clicked anymore.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote