Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #31
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
One of my favorites. Wheel of Time series, book 1 "The Eye Of The World". The cover is from the original printing of the book 1. http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-Whee...0144353&sr=1-2
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #32
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Close, but that is not the series. It is much newer than that and the moon on the cover is 3x that size. And the author is not Jordan, that much I know.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Two recommendations,

Silverlock - John Myers Myers, Fictionwise e-book

The Princess Bride - William Golding
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #34
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
www.webscription.net

So,

Whenever, I can I point towards Baen, because:
1) I usually like their books
2) They are DRM-free
3) They have lots of free books to sample
4) The books you buy are among the most reasonably-priced on the net

I'm sure that I missed some, but here are some of the Baen Free Library fantasies. You can read a few chapters online and/or download them.

Go to: http://www.baen.com/library/
then click on "The Books" on the left

Alternate History
============
1632 My rating: 5/5
1812: The Rivers of War
An Oblique Approach 5/5 (here are several more to this series free and others paid.)

Urban Fantasy
===========
Bedlam Boyz
Beyond World's End
Born to Run

Fantasy
==========
Demon Blade
Fiddler Fair
Fire In the Mist
Great Kings' War
The Lark and the Wren
The Lion of Farside 4/5
Old Nathan
Pyramid Scheme
The Sea Hag
Sheepfarmer's Daughter 5/5
Sisters of Glass
Sleipnir
Sympathy for the Devil
The War God's Own 5/5
Werehunter
Wizard's Bane
Wizardry Compiled
Wolf Time
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #35
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Haven't read the whole thread, but The Eye of the Word series by Robert Jordan is fabulous...
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #36
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would like to second Elantris, reading it right now, it is very good.

Thanks for recommending.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I don't know the English titles (don't even know if they're been translated, but I suppose so). But I really enjoyed reading the dwarfs saga in Markus Heitz's three novels (he's German).

;-)
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now that they are eBooks, I can highly recommend The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #39
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Silverlock - John Myers Myers, Fictionwise e-book
Wow, that's an old one. I'd forgotten about that book.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #40
Melissa
Melissa began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I was thinking of reading George R R Matin's Song of fire and ice series... why didn't you like it that much?? I've heard its quite dark?? If it is going to depress me, then i'll give it a miss...

other good fantasy books not mentioned yet are:
Black Magician trilogy - Trudi Canavan
Cast series by Michelle Sagara
Rangers Apprentice series - John Flanagan (Aussie author, more for young adult)
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #41
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I was thinking of reading George R R Matin's Song of fire and ice series... why didn't you like it that much?? I've heard its quite dark?? If it is going to depress me, then i'll give it a miss...
George R R Martin has a habit of making you love the main characters, then killing them off. I'll wait till the entire series is finished, and then I'll read it from first to last tome. Only once.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #42
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
Have you given Robin Hobb's "Farseer" trilogy a try?
I have. Oh my. It is incredibly slow paced and dull. There is nothing interesting about the world, the protagonist (who is a whiner) and the other characters (totally predictable cardboard cutouts).

Another reason to completely disregard reviews and judge books on their own merit. Many-many books (even award winners) are way overrated and herd mentality prevails. Someone starts to hype it, good reviews all over the place and people start reading with the preconception that they will like it. And many will like it no matter what, after all the reviews are good, it cannot be bad. YES IT CAN. And even if they do not like it, people do not dare to go against common opinion.

Well yes, maybe there is a message in these books but I just do not have the patience to get to it. If the first 100 pages are boring, good-bye.

Moving onto something more interesting... Robin Hobb is moving onto my DO NOT TOUCH list.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Another reason to completely disregard reviews and judge books on their own merit. Many-many books (even award winners) are way overrated and herd mentality prevails. Someone starts to hype it, good reviews all over the place and people start reading with the preconception that they will like it. And many will like it no matter what, after all the reviews are good, it cannot be bad. YES IT CAN. And even if they do not like it, people do not dare to go against common opinion.
I absolutely agree with you.
American Gods, Perdido Street station, Catch 22, The Name of the Rose received negative reviews from me and IMO over-hyped.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #44
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Catch 22 - I actually enjoyed due to its dark humor.

All of the others I have to agree, I started all, but could not finish any of them.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #45
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I'll recommand the Second Sons trilogy from Jennifer Fallon, but as I loved The Assassin's Apprentice (without being influenced by any critic, thanks, I'm 44 and able to make my own opinion ), I'm not sure who will appreciate these as I did (to each his own, as I said in another thread ! )
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote