Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2024, 06:57 AM   #46
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
The Forma hasn't corrupted since I downgraded the firmware. Coincidence or fix? Who knows I hope it hangs on long enough for either Kobo to release something decent with their impending new models, or I cave and return to Kindle.

Haha, David my soldering skills with a normal iron are passable on a good day. I dread to think of the mess I'd make with surface mount kit!

It would be even better if there were other reasonably priced options in the UK. The competition is scarce here though and I don't fancy paying import duty and other fees for something from abroad.
Can I ask what version of the firmware you downgraded too please?

After reading through this thread I have downgraded to 4.35 and disconnected wifi.

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-14-2024 at 08:04 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:21 AM   #47
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I know its been a while since I had the malformed problem but its happened twice now since then. I'm beginning to think i'll lose my Forma because of this .Its only about three years old but I know the device has been around longer than that.
Do you go back to the home-screen before connecting? There's a known bug current firmware where having a kepub open doesn't always close the database properly before USB export. There's other circumstances it can happen under though.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 09:26 AM   #48
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Do you go back to the home-screen before connecting? There's a known bug current firmware where having a kepub open doesn't always close the database properly before USB export. There's other circumstances it can happen under though.
Yes I’m always on the Home Screen when I connect and I think I only use epubs. At least I convert to epubs and that’s what I send. I was on Firmware 4.38. I also wondered if this had anything to do with windows 11? My new pc which I got in November is W11, my problem started in December. I’m now using a W10 pc to resend all my books as I had to factory reset last night.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:37 AM   #49
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Since I started to turn off my Forma before connecting it, I've never had any corruption.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:44 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes I’m always on the Home Screen when I connect and I think I only use epubs. At least I convert to epubs and that’s what I send. I was on Firmware 4.38. I also wondered if this had anything to do with windows 11? My new pc which I got in November is W11, my problem started in December. I’m now using a W10 pc to resend all my books as I had to factory reset last night.
Are you using Kobo Utilities (calibre plugin) to keep a recent backup of the Kobo database?

It's not an issue with Windows 11. I read ePub and I go back to the home screen before connecting to my calibre library. I use my laptop (running Windows 11) to connect.

Some say the best thing to do is go to the home screen and then do a reboot. Use NickelMenu for that as it's easier then holding the power button until it reboots.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-14-2024 at 09:46 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 09:46 AM   #51
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, rebooting before connect should help. If you use NickelMenu

Code:
menu_item : main : Reboot Device : power : reboot
As JSWolf says use KU to keep backups too.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:26 PM   #52
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you using Kobo Utilities (calibre plugin) to keep a recent backup of the Kobo database?

It's not an issue with Windows 11. I read ePub and I go back to the home screen before connecting to my calibre library. I use my laptop (running Windows 11) to connect.

Some say the best thing to do is go to the home screen and then do a reboot. Use NickelMenu for that as it's easier then holding the power button until it reboots.
I don’t know how to create a back up using Kobo Utilties and I also don’t use NikelMenu.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #53
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
I don’t know how to create a back up using Kobo Utilties and I also don’t use NikelMenu.
KoboUtilities > Customize Plugin > Devices tab

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-02-14 15_39_18-Customize Kobo Utilities.png
Views:	51
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	206398

If it then corrupts, just unzip your latest clean backup and copy the files back onto the .kobo subfolder on device.

Quote:
The issue is with the device firmware, not your computer's OS.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-14-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:01 PM   #54
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Attachment 206398

If it then corrupts, just unzip your latest clean backup and copy the files back onto the .kobo subfolder on device.

The issue is with the device firmware, not your computer's OS.
Thank you both for the screenshot and the assurance that is not a pc problem
Old 02-15-2024, 05:46 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Attachment 206398

Also reboot after ejecting the Kobo once you've restored the database.

Another thing Kobo Utilities does is it allows you to keep tracks of your reading positions. So if you do have to ever restore the database, you can restore your reading positions from the last time you plugged in your Kobo to calibre.

NickelMenu makes some thing a lot easier to do such as a reboot and a second connection to the computer to update the metadata without having to unplug the USB cable and replug the cable.

Code:
menu_item : library : USB : nickel_misc : force_usb_connection

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2024 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:07 AM   #56
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Since I started to turn off my Forma before connecting it, I've never had any corruption.
Same here. The other day, I accidentally opened a book instead of removing it. I immediately closed the book, went back to the home page, and removed/deleted it, but forgot to restart my Elipsa before connecting. I immediately got the database malformed error. I hadn't even turned a page!
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:10 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth here's my current NickelMenu configuration (also attached on NM_config.txt.

Code:
#
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #
# menu_item : main    : Dump Syslog        : cmd_spawn      : logread > /mnt/onboard/.adds/syslog.log
# menu_item : main    : Free Memory        : cmd_output     : 500  : free -m
# menu_item : main    : Kernel Version     : cmd_output     : 500  : uname -a
# menu_item : main    : Telnet             : cmd_spawn      : quiet: /bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
#      chain_success  : cmd_spawn          : quiet: /usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
#      chain_success  : dbg_toast          : Started Telnet server on port 1023.
#
menu_item : main    : Dark Mode          : nickel_setting : toggle : dark_mode
#menu_item : main     : Invert & Reboot    : nickel_setting : toggle : invert
#    chain_success    : power              : reboot
#
# menu_item : main    : dropbox            : nickel_open : library : dropbox
#
menu_item : main    : Screenshots        : nickel_setting : toggle : screenshots
menu_item : main    : Import books       : nickel_misc    : rescan_books_full
menu_item : main    : Toggle Auto USB    : nickel_setting : toggle : auto_usb_gadget
menu_item : main    : USB Connect        : nickel_misc    : force_usb_connection

menu_item : main    : Screensaver Status : cmd_output     : 500: quiet : test -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
      chain_success    : dbg_toast       : Screensaver is off
      chain_failure    : dbg_toast       : Screensaver is on
#
menu_item : main : Toggle screensaver    : cmd_output     : 500: quiet: test -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
      chain_failure  : skip : 3
      chain_success  : cmd_spawn         : quiet: mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver
      chain_success  : dbg_toast         : Screensaver on
      chain_always   : skip              : -1
      chain_failure  : cmd_spawn         : quiet          : mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
      chain_success  : dbg_toast         : Screensaver off
#
menu_item : main     : Reboot            : power          : reboot
menu_item : main     : Shutdown          : power          : shutdown
#
menu_item : main    : Force WiFi on      : nickel_setting  : toggle: force_wifi
     chain_success  : nickel_wifi        : autoconnect

# menu_item : main    : Pocket             : nickel_open     : library: pocket

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #

menu_item : reader  : Dark Mode          : nickel_setting : toggle : dark_mode
menu_item : reader  : Invert & Reboot    : nickel_setting : toggle : invert
    chain_success   : power              : reboot
#
# menu_item : reader  : Pocket             : nickel_open     : library: pocket
menu_item : reader  : Screenshots        : nickel_setting : toggle : screenshots
menu_item : reader  : Free Memory        : cmd_output     : 500: free -m
menu_item : reader : Reboot             : power          : reboot

menu_item : browser : Invert & Reboot    : nickel_setting : toggle: invert

menu_item : library : Dark Mode          : nickel_setting : toggle : dark_mode
menu_item : library : Free Memory        : cmd_output     : 500: free -m
menu_item : library  : Invert & Reboot   : nickel_setting : toggle: invert
#
# menu_item : library : Pocket             : nickel_open     : library: pocket
menu_item : library : Screenshots        : nickel_setting : toggle : screenshots
menu_item : library : Import books       : nickel_misc    : rescan_books_full
menu_item : library : Toggle Auto USB    : nickel_setting : toggle : auto_usb_gadget
menu_item : library : USB Connect        : nickel_misc    : force_usb_connection
menu_item : library : Reboot             : power          : reboot
menu_item : library : Shutdown           : power          : shutdown
Attached Files
File Type: txt NM_config.txt (4.7 KB, 27 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:44 PM   #58
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

What is rescan_books_full?
Old 02-15-2024, 05:48 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It triggers the import books routine. I've used it after sending books other than by using USB since they do not trigger an import.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:40 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I used to use it when I sent eBooks with KOReader running.