Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Want reading status of books on Kobo copied to Calibre

What's the easiest/recommended way to get/copy the reading status of books on my Kobo Forma?

Something like
  • unread
  • finished
  • reading (or reading at x%)

There about 30 books on my Forma that are now Finished. But I have stopped myself from removing them from my Kobo until I get their "Finished" status saved onto Calibre.

Last edited by droopy; 08-03-2020 at 09:54 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I believe David's Kobo Utilities plugin can pull this data from your device.

I've not looked into the specifics, but I believe you're already using it, so I'd say poke around in it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi MGlitch,
Yeah, I have that plugin installed, but still haven't set up this "reading status" yet.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hi MGlitch,
Yeah, I have that plugin installed, but still haven't set up this "reading status" yet.
For what it's worth, I've attached a collection of images of my setup to get the Kobo reading status information into calibre. Please remember that custom lookup names get a # when being referred to. It was fun finding a book that was in process and not either unread or finished.

Edit: I did a quick search and most of the information I've posted is available on MobileRead. Perhaps a bit of searching, attempting to implement and then asking for help with problems would be a better approach in future. I find that approach leads to a better understanding when you want to make future changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample_finished.png
Views:	2049
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	181064   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample_reading.png
Views:	1686
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	181065   Click image for larger version

Name:	columns_build.png
Views:	1544
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	181066   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.png
Views:	1767
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	181067   Click image for larger version

Name:	readpct.png
Views:	1591
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	181068   Click image for larger version

Name:	lastread.png
Views:	1433
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	181069   Click image for larger version

Name:	rating.png
Views:	1277
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	181070   Click image for larger version

Name:	readloc.png
Views:	1268
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	181071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_Utilities_Options.png
Views:	1402
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	181072  

Last edited by DNSB; 08-01-2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added suggestion about learning tactics
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

thanks so much dnsb. i'll try to follow your example this week.
Advert
Old 08-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Edit: I did a quick search and most of the information I've posted is available on MobileRead. Perhaps a bit of searching, attempting to implement and then asking for help with problems would be a better approach in future.
I don't know. I guess. On the other hand searching can be a pain. Try searching for jswolf's hyphen dictionary.

I've toyed off and on with the idea of setting up the read status and never bothered with it. Your detailed post convinced me to do it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:06 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't know. I guess. On the other hand searching can be a pain. Try searching for jswolf's hyphen dictionary.
I did a quick search using google.ca with a search string of "jswolf hyphen dictionary site:mobileread.com" and the first hit was to Better Hyphenation from 2014. I set the search time to 1 years and first two hits were JSWolf linking back to that thread from 2019 and 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've toyed off and on with the idea of setting up the read status and never bothered with it. Your detailed post convinced me to do it.
Glad to have been of some help.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did a quick search using google.ca with a search string of "jswolf hyphen dictionary site:mobileread.com" and the first hit was to Better Hyphenation from 2014. I set the search time to 1 years and first two hits were JSWolf linking back to that thread from 2019 and 2020.

Now, see? That’s cheating. Using your masterful google-fu to show us up.

Seriously, the search on this site is usually good. It never occurred to me to come in through google when I can’t find something. Learn something new everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Seriously, the search on this site is usually good. It never occurred to me to come in through google when I can’t find something. Learn something new everyday.
I don't suspect it would be the first instinct of most. And I gave the exact file name. If I do what I would think most users would do, use 'Search this forum' and search for 'better hyphenation dictionary' the results aren't so friendly.

Same goes for a search of 'Kobo Calibre read status'

'You shoulda searched' has the feel of the old RTFM argument that just turns off new people.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-04-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Now, see? That’s cheating. Using your masterful google-fu to show us up.

While the search on this site is pretty good compared to many sites, I find Google is very often the better search tool which all things considered, it should be.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
droopy
Guru

DNSB,
About your Finished screenshot https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...7&d=1596327200
can you kindly copy-paste the text you have in the Template blank? I'd like to make sure I have it correct.

In particular, I'm not sure what comes after "100".

Is that a double-quote mark?
{:'cmp(field('#readpct'),100,",'Finished','Finished')'}

Or two single-quote marks?
{:'cmp(field('#readpct'),100,'','Finished','Finished')'}

Last edited by droopy; 08-04-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
DNSB,
About your Finished screenshot https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...7&d=1596327200
can you kindly copy-paste the text you have in the Template blank? I'd like to make sure I have it correct.

It's two single quotes.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
DNSB,

Yes, two single quotes. I had the same issue.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
droopy
Guru

I successfully followed DNSB's example from his screenshots. I restared calibre. My Kobo is connected to the laptop/calibre.

But the Finished/Kobo Reading Location / Last Read / Read Percent are all blank. I've scrolled from top to bottom (from book 1 to book 7000) and all these fields in these columns are blank. What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I successfully followed DNSB's example from his screenshots. I restared calibre. My Kobo is connected to the laptop/calibre.

But the Finished/Kobo Reading Location / Last Read / Read Percent are all blank. I've scrolled from top to bottom (from book 1 to book 7000) and all these fields in these columns are blank. What am I doing wrong?
Can you post what you have in the Profile tab for the KoboUtilities plugin configuration? Do you get a "Storing reading positions for xxxx books" in the Jobs log when you connect your Kobo?

Last edited by DNSB; 08-04-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added Jobs log question