Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Document covers display on kindle but not kindle for iPad

Why do many of my covers display correctly on my Voyage, but as generic Docs on my Kindle for IPad? (My app is up to date).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I believe that the Kindle for iOS app shows a generic DOC cover thumbnail for personal documents that are available, but not yet downloaded, in the "cloud" view. When you download the book to your device the actual cover should appear.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that the Kindle for iOS app shows a generic DOC cover thumbnail for personal documents that are available, but not yet downloaded, in the "cloud" view. When you download the book to your device the actual cover should appear.
That's it! Thanks so much. I did not know about this behavior. Glad I asked before I started tinkering in Calibre again.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru

But I also have some that do not display their cover on my Voyage but they do display on my iPad. I tried removing them and redownloading from the cloud, but they still are missing their cover. Any ideas? Or do I need to tinker in Calibre?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
But I also have some that do not display their cover on my Voyage but they do display on my iPad. I tried removing them and redownloading from the cloud, but they still are missing their cover. Any ideas? Or do I need to tinker in Calibre?
Check the size of your cover in Calibre. When you select edit the cover size is displayed at the bottom of the cover. I find it needs to be at least 1200x1800 to display the cover on all devices. If it's too small resize the cover, reconvert and send the file to Kindle again. Just remember to delete the previous version on both the cloud and all the devices or you will get duplicates.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Pjama
Guru

Thanks - I checked one of the covers that wasn't downloading to my kindle and it is 600 x 968. Then I checked a cover in the same series that was downloading successfully, and it is also 600 x 968. It's really weird, isn't it?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru

Ah - I just noticed, one I converted as AZW, the other as MOBI. Going to change to MOBI and that should solve the problem. Thanks though, for making me open Calibre to look at the metadata.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Pjama
Guru

Is it normal for the covers of amazon-purchased kindle books not to show up until you download them? That is the case for some of mine, so I'm busy downloading everything, as I HATE seeing that blank sheet with the title. This is why I'm glad I went for the 32GB Oasis, as I can put everything on there and still know it will not slow down the device.

I would have thought that amazon-bought books should display their covers, even in the cloud though?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Is it normal for the covers of amazon-purchased kindle books not to show up until you download them? That is the case for some of mine, so I'm busy downloading everything, as I HATE seeing that blank sheet with the title. This is why I'm glad I went for the 32GB Oasis, as I can put everything on there and still know it will not slow down the device.

I would have thought that amazon-bought books should display their covers, even in the cloud though?
My understanding of what is happening is that the Kindle doesn't directly use the cover in the file for the thumbnail.

For example, you can download and transfer azw files from Standard eBooks directly without having to use something like Calibre or Send to Kindle, but to get the cover to show, you have to download a separate thumbnail file and transfer it to the Kindle after you transfer the azw file.

For files from Amazon, it must be downloading only the appropriate file for the book (mobi, KF8, or KFX). Then, the Kindle uses the information in the metadata to download the corresponding thumbnail from Amazon's servers. That is also why you can get the Kindle to download thumbnails for sideloaded books if you include the Amazon ASIN in the IDs field of the metadata.

On my 6th gen Paperwhite, it will download covers for cloud books, but I have to manually sync the collection.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

Amazon books should but sometimes it takes a few syncs before they show. Also you are stuck with the resolution the seller used and I've known some books to not even have a downloadable cover
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote