Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
trishkit
trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kobo original, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Camping With the Cybook

I'm a happy owner of a Cybook, purchased after reading through the many thoughtful reviews here. Thanks!

My annual Books and Beer camping trip is approaching after the long weekend. Taking the Cybook would lighten the load a bit (last year my sister and I took along 14 books for a 4 day trip).

But do I dare? I'm worried about the effects of dampness (at the very least) and wetness (at the very worst). We are just car camping, so it's not as if carrying a book bag is a major hardship.

The whole purpose of the trip is to decompress and not talk to other human beings for a few days. My sister and I can happily ignore each other in any format.

Has anyone ever tried to keep their Cybook in these conditions?
trishkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i know a lot of people have recommended the well-sealed zip-lock plastic bag for such grueling conditions as the beach (humidity *and* sand), with very good results. you might even add to the security by including one of those little packages of dessicant granules that seem to be everywhere, if you have one around.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
trishkit
trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooooh, that's a great idea - thank you!

I actually live in a resort town and live very close to a beach...I'd never dream of taking my Cybook anywhere near sand!

This could change my mind.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

glad to help ! this was not my brilliant idea, i've read it in several different threads around here, but people have said it works really well. i'm glad to have given you a way to spend yet *more* time reading !
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
For what you've described the freezer ziplock bag should work fine.

I also bought one of the Aquapac PDA Classic Plus Cases (360) and the Cybook fits in it without the cover. I wanted to be able to take it in a boat so I could read while fishing. You can also use it in the rub a tub tub. The bag is blue so it's not as clear as a ziplock bag though.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/de...aq_360_pda.php

It's funny if you sit around the house all day reading some people think you're lazy. If you sit in a boat all day reading then you're fishing.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
It's funny if you sit around the house all day reading some people think you're lazy. If you sit in a boat all day reading then you're fishing.
another good reason to get a boat... kind of an expensive justification for reading though.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i know a lot of people have recommended the well-sealed zip-lock plastic bag for such grueling conditions as the beach (humidity *and* sand), with very good results. you might even add to the security by including one of those little packages of dessicant granules that seem to be everywhere, if you have one around.
Dessicant granules. So that's what they're called.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
another good reason to get a boat... kind of an expensive justification for reading though.
Me: Dear I would like to buy a Kindle if that is ok.

Wife: Well, what is a kindle?

Me: It's an electronic device to read books on.

Wife: Um, what's wrong with paper books?

Me: They are soooo 1500 BC to 1900s. And I can carry 1000 books in the space of a single paper back.

Wife: Well, ok I guess. I don't understand it but whatever. How much does it cost?

Me: Um, about $40,359.00.

Wife: What for a little electronic reading device.

Me: Well, the Kindle itself is $359, but the boat to use it on will be about $40,000.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Me: Dear I would like to buy a Kindle if that is ok.

Wife: Well, what is a kindle?

Me: It's an electronic device to read books on.

Wife: Um, what's wrong with paper books?

Me: They are soooo 1500 BC to 1900s. And I can carry 1000 books in the space of a single paper back.

Wife: Well, ok I guess. I don't understand it but whatever. How much does it cost?

Me: Um, about $40,359.00.

Wife: What for a little electronic reading device.

Me: Well, the Kindle itself is $359, but the boat to use it on will be about $40,000.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Any Justification is a good justification for reading....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
trishkit

Quote:
Funny you should mention that - I work at a marina and sell boats for a living. I'll have to add this to my sales pitch!