Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Texas goes after the Agency Cartel

Looks like the state of Texas is now investigating the agency model, and that includes Apple:

http://www.teleread.com/2010/06/01/t...del-and-apple/

Let the fireworks begin...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Fingers and assorted limbs crossed.
Hope they take them to court in *east* texas.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
At least it'll distract them from rewriting history books.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
At least it'll distract them from rewriting history books.
They were getting jealous of those fine folks over in Kansas.

LOL, ultra right-wing, ultra-conservative, these folks here are very serious about making their mark, might cecede from the Union at any moment. I'm afraid to mention out loud in crowds that I voted Dem.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Nothing is going to come of this. There is no price fixing going on. Price fixing is when two (or more) different companies agree to sell at a certain price. There is no agreement between any of the publishers to not sell their books lower than another publisher.

If you buy insurance...it's likely from an "Insurance Agent" -- who does not set the price of the insurance. There are lots and lots of business that work this way. Going to "agency pricing" is not price fixing.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
There are lots and lots of business that work this way. Going to "agency pricing" is not price fixing.
Yes, but this is unique. These publishers are "price fixing" only the eBook version.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Actually, price fixing isn't the only form of anti-trust violation that *might* apply to the Agency model. I'm thinking that the publicly-stated intent to eliminate discounting and price-based competition in ebook sales factors just a *wee* bit into the investigation.

Add in that the instigator, Apple, is already under investigation for their practices in other content business where they've thrown their weight around to squash discounting and there is just enough smoke for savvy politicians to see an opening to boost their careers.

All they're doing for now is asking questions.

But we're moving into a populist era in the US, so the climate is right for politicians to go after elitist corporations. And the the tech company with the highest stock market valuation and more cash on hand than California owes is a nice fat target.

(That's why I suggested East Texas for the trial; those folks have a track record. Look it up.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Depending on how the legislation is written, this is a problem for Apple. Any reasonable person, presented with the facts -- before and after Apple "insisted" on the agency model -- must conclude that pricing of e-books from several leading vendors is no longer "free" and is, in fact, tied to contractual obligations which, miraculously, contain the same coercive rules applied to vendors. Apple's vulnerability is the openly blatant public stand it took.

Free enterprise at work? Free market mechanics? Or consumer gouging among members of a closed club? I don't think it's a slam dunk one way or the other ... the details will matter. One can smell the smoke ... even if the gun cannot be (conveniently) located.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Depending on how the legislation is written, this is a problem for Apple. Any reasonable person, presented with the facts -- before and after Apple "insisted" on the agency model -- must conclude that pricing of e-books from several leading vendors is no longer "free" and is, in fact, tied to contractual obligations which, miraculously, contain the same coercive rules applied to vendors. Apple's vulnerability is the openly blatant public stand it took.

Free enterprise at work? Free market mechanics? Or consumer gouging among members of a closed club? I don't think it's a slam dunk one way or the other ... the details will matter. One can smell the smoke ... even if the gun cannot be (conveniently) located.
Hmm I think the word you're looking for is capitalism. Though personally I prefer free enterprise and and a reasonably free market to pure capitalism. I suppose I just don't like monopolies.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
They were getting jealous of those fine folks over in Kansas.

LOL, ultra right-wing, ultra-conservative, these folks here are very serious about making their mark, might cecede from the Union at any moment. I'm afraid to mention out loud in crowds that I voted Dem.
Heh, even dems out there are pretty conservative (not that I trust them for a second ). I'm from SW Louisiana so I know East Texas pretty well and they're just like us, Republicans and Dems both arguing who's stronger on gun rights and the like.

Unfortunatly, if the AG is handling this, the case will be heard in Austin which is an island of blue in a sea of red. Can't know more until a case is brought but in general Texas is pretty strict against price fixing...and then going after some with anti-trust lawsuits. I think they went against BP (F&*^%$s) a while back.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Hmm I think the word you're looking for is capitalism. Though personally I prefer free enterprise and and a reasonably free market to pure capitalism. I suppose I just don't like monopolies.
As I say ... it's not a slam dunk -- the details will matter.

I'm strongly in favour of capitalism ... where markets are free. The very public behaviour of Apple in the "change of rules" does not smack of a "free market" ... and that's the problem. Amazon was insisting it have the right to set its own price to the consumer -- up to and including taking a loss per sale. Apple's agency model effectively dictates the price the consumer pays across all vendors which can be interpreted without much of a leap as price fixing.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
As I say ... it's not a slam dunk -- the details will matter.

I'm strongly in favour of capitalism ... where markets are free. The very public behaviour of Apple in the "change of rules" does not smack of a "free market" ... and that's the problem. Amazon was insisting it have the right to set its own price to the consumer -- up to and including taking a loss per sale. Apple's agency model effectively dictates the price the consumer pays across all vendors which can be interpreted without much of a leap as price fixing.
How do you mix capitalism with a free market?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Hmm allow me to be more clear, promoting ownership of resources without protections against monopolies does not a free market make. Barriers to entry are one thing but amassing capital in real terms, owning huge amounts of the timber or the coal or the whatever gives you control over the market, you can dump thing below cost to drive others out of buisness, you could refuse to sell to anyone who buys from a competitor but requires more than they can provide. Ultimately pure capitalism leads to monopolies and leaves things basically as feudalism without the fancy titles.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
What Iphinome said.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I just hope that once they find that collusions in this industry cripple the market, they go for the other collusive industries (insurance, banks, M.D's and the like).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote