Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #1
CJMiller
CJMiller began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Compiling 0.9.5 with Qt 5.6.0

Hello, all! I just discovered the site this week joined today.

I am running Linux Mint 17.3. I grabbed the source to the latest Sigil version and am trying to figure out how to build it. The trouble seems to be that with the latest Qt5 (5.6.0) things aren't where they are expected. Working from the instructions in /docs/BuildingOnLinux.html I made my directories and modified their cmake options to point to QTs default directory, so now it looks like:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/name/Qt5.6.0/5.6/gcc_64/lib/cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../sigil-src

and now it finds the Qt5Config.cmake file fine. But shortly after it fails to find config files for the Qt5 components "WebKit" and "WebKitWidgets". Well, I did the whole giant bloated install of 2.2GB of everything, source and all, and there are no such modules present. The QT website says:

http://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.6
Quote:
With Qt 5.6 the following modules are no longer part of the release packages, but users can still build them from source:

Qt WebKit
Looking around in there at the source directories, I have no clue how one might compile only a WebKit module. Does this mean needing to compile all of Qt 5.6.0 from source? I hope not. I am kind of stuck for now.
CJMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You probably missed the line in the BuildingOnLinux document that specifies you need Qt 5.4. As Kevin explained in another thread Qt stopped with the WebKit. As Sigil is very depending on that part, especially due to BookView, version 5.4 is currently a hard requirement as I understood it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 03:49 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
As Sigil is very depending on that part, especially due to BookView, version 5.4 is currently a hard requirement as I understood it.
AFAIK, only Qt5.4.2 is officially supported; Qt5.5.1 will work, too, but no version higher than that.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, Webkit is required for Sigil. Qt 5.6 dropped that component, but most Linux distributions plan on adding it back in their binary distributions as many projects depend on it. And Doitsu and Toxaris are correct. Qt 5.4.2 is the official version we build with, and you can build Sigil with Qt 5.5.1 too.

If you want to use Qt 5.6 or later you must hope your distribution has included Webkit with their official distribution packages or you must download the sources, add back in Qt Webkit source from the Qt 5.5.1 release and build all of Qt yourself from source.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2016 at 09:31 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
and you can build Sigil with Qt 5.5.1 too.
Hmm, I'm using 5.5.1 and get the following:

Code:
CMake Warning at src/CMakeLists.txt:66 (find_package):
  Could not find a configuration file for package "Qt5" that is compatible
  with requested version "5.4".

The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt5/Qt5Config.cmake, version: 5.2.1

CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:576 (qt5_wrap_ui):
  Unknown CMake command "qt5_wrap_ui".
I'm pretty sure I haven't upgraded Qt since compiling 0.9.4 but I guess it could have slipped in while updating something else.

Error log:
Spoiler:
Determining size of off64_t failed with the following output:
Change Dir: /media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTryCompileExec3838280841/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3838280841.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec383828
0841.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory `/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3838280841.dir/OFF64_T.c.o
/usr/bin/cc -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3838280841.dir/OFF64_T.c.o -c /media/data/build/CMakeFil
es/CheckTypeSize/OFF64_T.c
/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CheckTypeSize/OFF64_T.c:17:22: error: ‘off64_t’ undeclared here (not in a
function)
#define SIZE (sizeof(off64_t))
^
/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CheckTypeSize/OFF64_T.c:19:12: note: in expansion of macro ‘SIZE’
('0' + ((SIZE / 10000)%10)),
^
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3838280841.dir/OFF64_T.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec3838280841/fast] Error 2

/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CheckTypeSize/OFF64_T.c:
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <stddef.h>

#undef KEY
#if defined(__i386)
# define KEY '_','_','i','3','8','6'
#elif defined(__x86_64)
# define KEY '_','_','x','8','6','_','6','4'
#elif defined(__ppc__)
# define KEY '_','_','p','p','c','_','_'
#elif defined(__ppc64__)
# define KEY '_','_','p','p','c','6','4','_','_'
#endif

#define SIZE (sizeof(off64_t))
char info_size[] = {'I', 'N', 'F', 'O', ':', 's','i','z','e','[',
('0' + ((SIZE / 10000)%10)),
('0' + ((SIZE / 1000)%10)),
('0' + ((SIZE / 100)%10)),
('0' + ((SIZE / 10)%10)),
('0' + (SIZE % 10)),
']',
#ifdef KEY
' ','k','e','y','[', KEY, ']',
#endif
'\0'};

#ifdef __CLASSIC_C__
int main(argc, argv) int argc; char *argv[];
#else
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
#endif
{
int require = 0;
require += info_size[argc];
(void)argv;
return require;
}

Determining if the include file windows.h exists failed with the following output:

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTryCompileExec1182428918/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1182428918.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec118242
8918.dir/build
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1182428918.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o
/usr/bin/cc -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1182428918.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o -c /media/data/build
/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c
/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c:1:21: fatal error: windows.h: No such file or
directory
#include <windows.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1182428918.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o] Error 1
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec1182428918/fast] Error 2

Determining if the include file type_traits.h exists failed with the following output:

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTryCompileExec2653427015/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2653427015.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec265342
7015.dir/build
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2653427015.dir/CheckIncludeFile.cxx.o
/usr/bin/c++ -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2653427015.dir/CheckIncludeFile.cxx.o -c /media/data/bui
ld/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.cxx
/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.cxx:1:25: fatal error: type_traits.h: No such fi
le or directory
#include <type_traits.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec2653427015.dir/CheckIncludeFile.cxx.o] Error 1
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec2653427015/fast] Error 2

Determining if the include file bits/type_traits.h exists failed with the following output:

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTryCompileExec862257861/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec862257861.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec8622578
61.dir/build
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec862257861.dir/CheckIncludeFile.cxx.o
/usr/bin/c++ -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec862257861.dir/CheckIncludeFile.cxx.o -c /media/data/buil
d/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.cxx
/media/data/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.cxx:1:30: fatal error: bits/type_traits.h: No su
ch file or directory
#include <bits/type_traits.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec862257861.dir/CheckIncludeFile.cxx.o] Error 1
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec862257861/fast] Error 2

Determining if the function _strtoi64 exists failed with the following output:

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTryCompileExec3736304044/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3736304044.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec373630
4044.dir/build
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3736304044.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o
/usr/bin/cc -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=_strtoi64 -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3736304044.dir/CheckFun
ctionExists.c.o -c /usr/share/cmake-3.2/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.c
Linking C executable cmTryCompileExec3736304044
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3736304044.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/cc -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=_strtoi64 CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3736304044.dir/CheckFunct
ionExists.c.o -o cmTryCompileExec3736304044 -rdynamic
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec3736304044.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o: In function `main':
CheckFunctionExists.c.text+0x15): undefined reference to `_strtoi64'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec3736304044] Error 1
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec3736304044/fast] Error 2

Thanks
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You probably missed the line in the BuildingOnLinux document that specifies you need Qt 5.4.
Hmm, are there other versions of the document?

The one I'm looking at says:

Code:
To build Sigil on Linux, you need to get/do the following things:

3. [Qt5.4.0](#qt5) (or higher)
Code:
##<a name="qt5"/>Getting Qt5
Sigil requires Qt5.4.0 or higher, but the "official" Sigil releases are built with Qt5.4.2.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, are there other versions of the document?

The one I'm looking at says:
No, there is no other document. I'm updating it as we speak so that it's clear that only Qt5.4.0 - Qt5.5.1 are supported for building Sigil (and that 5.4.2 is recommended). The document was written before Nokia had released Qt5.6 and made their bone-headed decision to drop WebKit from their binary installers. I did not foresee the the need to include an upper limit at the time. My apologies for not being prescient (or apparently, diligent) enough.

As far as your error in your previous message goes: you may have installed Qt5.5.1, but it's clear from your error message that cmake is only finding Qt5.2.1 on your system (which is insufficient). Be sure that you've specified the correct -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to point to Qt5.5.1 on your system (as correctly described in the BuildingOnLinux document). CMake is trying to use your older, distro-installed 5.2.1 instead.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2016 at 09:04 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
patrik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Be sure that you've specified the correct -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to point to Qt5.5.1 on your system (as correctly described in the BuildingOnLinux document). CMake is trying to use your older, distro-installed 5.2.1 instead.
I misspelled DCMAKE....

Fixed that, all compiles nicely. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I misspelled DCMAKE....

Fixed that, all compiles nicely. Thanks!
You're welcome.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I just pushed an update to the BuildingOnLinux documentation that clarifies (hopefully) the Qt version requirements, as well as addressing some common errors and pitfalls (with likely solutions) that users have brought up here since the document's creation.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
patrik
Guru

Maybe I'm the only one, but one thing I have done all (three...) times I have compiled Sigil is to read "same level as source" as the same level as the "src" directory, not the unpacked Sigil-x.y.z-directory. No biggie, but maybe it could be clarified a bit in the doc?

In other words....

- I download Sigil-0.9.5.zip
- unzip Sigil-0.9.5.zip
- cd Sigil-0.9.5
- ls -lh
- Open docs/BuildingOnLinux.md
- Read and get to the create "build" same level src.
- As I see a directory "src" in front of me, I create a directory called "build" at the same level
- I "cd build" and do the first cmake, get the error message, get confused for 3 seconds and get it, "cd .." "mkdir build", and continue...

Now when I have written this, I'm sure I will remember to next time.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
- As I see a directory "src" in front of me, I create a directory called "build" at the same level
- I "cd build" and do the first cmake, get the error message, get confused for 3 seconds and get it, "cd .." "mkdir build", and continue...
Which would violate the first directive in the Build Sigil section "... you don't build IN the Sigil source directory."

I'll take it under advisement, but I do tend to put quotations around literal directory names when I use them. I would think the main point that the build directory should be completely outside of the downoaded source code hierarchy would be apparent, but maybe not.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My PKGBUILD for sigil uses sigil-git/build/ for the build directory, configured with `cmake [options] ..` and it all works fine -- I don't see why that should be a problem assuming you point cmake at the correct source root.

A "build" subdirectory seems to be a rather common cmake convention. cmake considers that an "out of source build".

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-27-2016 at 01:46 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
My PKGBUILD for sigil uses sigil-git/build/ for the build directory, configured with `cmake [options] ..` and it all works fine -- I don't see why that should be a problem assuming you point cmake at the correct source root.

A "build" subdirectory seems to be a rather common cmake convention. cmake considers that an "out of source build".
It's not a problem at all, really (if you point cmake to the source root). It's just that my instructions and commands are predicated on the build directory not being a subdirectory of the source root. You're free to deviate from that if you don't need to follow my commands verbatim. I prefer to get neophytes clear away from the source package. That way I can advise them to delete the build directory without fear that the original source might have been compromised (and because it allows me to build right out of my git clone and push changes without fear of pushing more than I want to).

I do it the way I do simply because I prefer to leave the source pristine. I use a similar strategy when building Qt (without cmake). *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, the operative part of my post was "assuming you point cmake at the correct source root".
Just trying to underline where the problem was.

If you aren't going to copy-paste ALL the commands, then you are responsible for modifying them to match the things you change.

The instructions were already pretty clear that the copy-pasteable commands assumed:
Quote:
The rest of the instructions will assume that both your Sigil source directory (I renamed it "sigil-src" in the previous step. adjust accordingly if you didn't) and your Sigil build directory ("sigil-build) are at the root of your user's home (~) directory.
So, if your "sigil-build" directory isn't next to your "sigil-src" directory... then you are assumed to be competent at comprehending shell commands with filepaths on your own.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote