Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #526
Atomic_Punk
Atomic_Punk began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Color
So I've been messing around with this very good program for the last few days or so, and as far as I am concerned it's invaluable to actually using this device for reading comics, very good job! The one shortcoming I've been noticing is that the color quality seems a lot less vibrant than when I look at the exact same image using the stock reading program no matter what settings I try and adjust. I noticed that the color depth option caps at 24, is that a device limitation or something I can edit myself in a config file somewhere?

The app is more than usable as it is, (the faster page turns and correct page numbering alone are godsends) but if there were a way I could take even better advantage of the color screen, even if that means editing the files in some way before transferring them to the device, then I want to try and find it.

Thank you again! You said that you've also been using this device a lot for reading. Can I ask what settings/pre-processing you find look the best for your comic books?
Atomic_Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #527
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't really play with the display settings because it seems to change for every archive, and I guess I'm not very picky about what I see.

Thanks for letting me know that the images look better in the default app. I'll take a look at it. I don't think it's a depth issue because 24 is already way more bits than the screen can display. Besides, the depth refers to the way the images are stored in memory, and not to how they are displayed by the hardware. I'll take a look at the Inkview API to see if they added anything to do with displaying colour bitmaps. In the meantime, perhaps you could play with the display gamma parameter to see if changing that produces something you like.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #528
mooms
mooms began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad 3
Hi rkomar,
I have a feature request: being able to preview the changes made on the image: contrast, brightness, gamma.

Thank you.
mooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #529
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure that previewing the changes is even possible on these devices. The dialog takes over the screen and hides the image being displayed so you don't know what it looks like until you return from the dialog. I understand your frustration, though, because I feel it myself. I'll keep this in the back of my mind and see if anything clever pops up.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #530
mooms

It's the case on the included app, and also on koreader if I remember correctly.
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #531
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooms View Post
It's the case on the included app, and also on koreader if I remember correctly.
Yes, they both use different dialogs. I'm still using the dialogs from the Inkview SDK. It looks like PocketBook have developed new dialogs that they haven't released in their SDK. Unless I move away from the Inkview SDK (unlikely), I think that previewing will not be possible.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #532
mooms

I see. That's a pity. Thank you anyway.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #533
mooms

I have a problem with the tabs to go to previous pages, on my Inkpad 3 it's impossible to press them, it's too narrow, and too much on the edge, pressing it do nothing:

Old 02-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #534
rkomar
Wizard

I'm afraid that that is a problem with the Inkview API provided in the PocketBook SDK. I have the same problem on my newer devices. However, I have some Next/Prev icons in the top corners for switching between the tabs on my devices. I don't see them in your image. Do the Next/Prev buttons on your device switch between the tabs? I'm hoping they left some kind of method for switching between tabs on your device.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #535
mooms

They sometimes works but it's unreliable.
The best solution is to use "open a page" (or whatever name it is in English).
Old 03-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #536
maydocsach
maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hi @rkomar

Thank you for your great piece of software!

It is amazing, and very fast compare to the stock software.

Can you add saturation adjust? It will make the color device even better.

P/S: I'm using Pocketbook InkPad Color (PB741)
maydocsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #537
rkomar
Wizard

I'm thinking about that feature, but it is difficult to do what the PocketBook application does. There is a function for increasing the saturation and dithering inside the Inkview library, but it is not officially exposed in the SDK. I would have to reverse engineer the interface from the binary code to figure it out, and I'm not sure that it is worth it. That calculation also takes a lot of time, which is why the stock software seems so slow. Adding it to pbimageviewer.app would slow it down in the same way. So, I'll add it if I can come up with a fast and portable way to do it, otherwise not.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #538
Rider71
Rider71 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color
I have a question about which version to use for the Pocketbook InkPad Color (PB741).

now have the pbimageviewer.app-v1.3.0-fwv6 on it but there are the comic black white
Rider71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #539
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider71 View Post
I have a question about which version to use for the Pocketbook InkPad Color (PB741).

now have the pbimageviewer.app-v1.3.0-fwv6 on it but there are the comic black white
That is the correct version of the application for your device.

It sounds like you need to add the configuration file for your device. I haven't updated the zip file in the first post yet, so you should get the latest version from my website: http://komary.net/pbimageviewer/devi...device_cfg.zip I'll update the version uploaded here sometime soon.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #540
Rider71
Rider71 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That is the correct version of the application for your device.

It sounds like you need to add the configuration file for your device. I haven't updated the zip file in the first post yet, so you should get the latest version from my website: http://komary.net/pbimageviewer/devi...device_cfg.zip I'll update the version uploaded here sometime soon.
ok thanks.what else i wanted to ask is what is the perfect setting for reading comics and manga?

and where must the device_cfg.zip be placed ?

Last edited by Rider71; 03-16-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Rider71 is offline   Reply With Quote