Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2024, 06:15 AM   #1
LatinLover
LatinLover began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
dictionary question

Hello, I have a question regarding dictionary functionality.

When I first open a definition and the small dictionary window opens, I can press on any of the words in the dictionary definition and it will open the definition for that word also. The problem is that I can only do this once, if I try and press another word after that it won't work until I exit the dictionary and press another word from the epub to received another definition. I want to be able to press any word of the dictionary and have the dictionary display the word for an unlimited number of times, not only once.

Another quirk is that this can seemingly only be done when the little pop up dictionary window is displayed, once it goes to full screen (which occurs automatically once you press one of the dictionary words in the definition) then you can no longer press on a word in the definition. Also if you put your original word to full screen, you can't press on anything in the definition, not even once as is possible in the small dictionary window.

If this is a result of this function only working in the small dictionary window then I would like to force my dictionary to stay in the small window and not default to full screen once I press on an additional word. If anyone else has suggestions to get this working properly I'd much appreciate it.

Thank you
LatinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:34 AM   #2
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinLover View Post
Hello, I have a question regarding dictionary functionality.

When I first open a definition and the small dictionary window opens, I can press on any of the words in the dictionary definition and it will open the definition for that word also. The problem is that I can only do this once, if I try and press another word after that it won't work until I exit the dictionary and press another word from the epub to received another definition. I want to be able to press any word of the dictionary and have the dictionary display the word for an unlimited number of times, not only once.

Another quirk is that this can seemingly only be done when the little pop up dictionary window is displayed, once it goes to full screen (which occurs automatically once you press one of the dictionary words in the definition) then you can no longer press on a word in the definition. Also if you put your original word to full screen, you can't press on anything in the definition, not even once as is possible in the small dictionary window.

If this is a result of this function only working in the small dictionary window then I would like to force my dictionary to stay in the small window and not default to full screen once I press on an additional word. If anyone else has suggestions to get this working properly I'd much appreciate it.

Thank you
Unfortunately, this is how all Kobos function. I was disappointed when I moved from Sony PRS which functioned like you want to Kobos.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
LatinLover
LatinLover began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Unfortunately, this is how all Kobos function. I was disappointed when I moved from Sony PRS which functioned like you want to Kobos.
That's a shame. Seems like a major design flaw/oversight. I'm thinking if we can somehow force the small window to stay open instead of going to full screen we can freely browse the dictionary. Then if you want full screen you can do it manually. Does anyone know if this is possible?
LatinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Try asking for a patch here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312598
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote