Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
zuzusplace13
zuzusplace13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Entourage Edge
App Installation help!

There are a few programs that I have been trying to install on my dualbook. They are the kobo reader and something called "baby names". I got them from the Amazon App Store and they would not install. The edge would start the process and then stop suddenly saying app not installed. I even tried finding apks for them elsewhere but got the same result. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I'm using 2.2 and they are both claimed by Amazon to be "compatible" with my registered device. Hopefully someone can help and/or tell me where I might be able to get these programs....

Thanks,
Brande
zuzusplace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
If other programs install okay, it is probably that the ones that do not install just aren't going to work. There are some programs that do not work on tablets.

You can sometimes find older/newer versions of a program and find one that works but not always.

post the names of the programs and others might be able to tell you if they have had luck installing them or if they had problems.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
I installed Kobo reader without any problems on 3 devices.
I could not try Baby Names as there are at least 4 of them with this precise name and 2 dozens variations including Baby Names!
The most likely reason you don't have enough memory.
The best way to find out is to install adb:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833
posts #25 and 38

and post logcat over here.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I thought you had to be rooted to use adb??

Is the Kobo that works for ptsenter the same version Amazon has now? Maybe freewarelovers.com has an older version.

If the problem is memory, can that be solved by rebooting, or shutting down unnecessary apps?? I usually just give up when I get that message, or find an older version or another app that does the same thing, but if it just needs more memory -- do you mean available memory, or system memory? Sorry -- stream of consciousness!

Is there a fix that doesn't involve rooting?
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I thought you had to be rooted to use adb?
Whoever claims the device has to be rooted to use adb is lying or just have no idea what s/he talking about.
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
zuzusplace13
zuzusplace13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Entourage Edge
I'm actually using a newer version of the OS than I was when I had my last edge, so I can't imagine I need an older version. As to memory, I've installed dozens of other things, this is a brand new edge with almost nothing on it and nothing at all stored in it! The baby names I'm looking for is by Wiegand Tech and is available in the Amazon App Store.
zuzusplace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
ptsenter
Addict

I believe I know why Baby Names installation fails - this is the second app with the same problem, the first one is Merriam Webster dictionary.
I can fix it, but I'm afraid only for myself.
But I can give you direction:

first, you need a tool called apktool, it's easy to find, install and use;
second, you need Android emulator, which you can create downloading Android SDK to get adb;
third, you need to install Amazon Appstore on that emulator;
forth, install Baby Names on that emulator through Appstore;
fifth, extract (adb pull) mobi.wiegandtech.babynameslite.apk from the emulator, it’s under /data/app;
sixth, using apktool disassemble that apk (“decode” in their terminology);
seventh, you need to edit file AndroidManifest.xml

it has

android:installLocation="preferExternal"

put internalOnly instead of preferExternal.

eighth, reassemble the apk using apktool (“build” in their terminology);
ninth, copy the updated apk onto your device;
tenth, install it.
Instead of the last two steps you can install the app with adb install.

Officially in Android “prefer” means exactly that, and if it fails to install the app on an external memory it should switch to internal one. Some blame this fault on enTourage, but I believe it’s error processing of Android fails (in logcat one can see java’s stack).

It looks like a lot of trouble, but you need to do it only once and, then, you’ll love it.
You even can create an emulator running Android Market and pull apps from it.

Regarding Kobo:
Ermine 0.9 released by enToutage is missing a lot of important components. In that thread I mentioned above, post #1, you can find updated version of Ermine with missing parts. That’s the version I used to install Kobo reader without problems. Again, it helped me with a few apps.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Whoever claims the device has to be rooted to use adb is lying or just have no idea what s/he talking about.
That would be me! Not claiming, just questioning. Adb is one of the millions of things I know nothing about, and didn't think I needed to know. However, if it doesn't require rooting, maybe I'll look into it.

Thanks for your excellent explanations of technologically mysterious (to me) things, ptsenter! I always learn from other people's questions and answers.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
while that is true, there is little point in using adb without root lol...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
ptsenter
Addict

Important update:

Some apps distributed outside of Market are not signed from Android point of view. Trying to install such apps produces an error message

Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES]

That is if one uses

adb install

otherwise the app not installed without much explanation.

To fix that one needs Android SDK: generate certificate and, then, sign the app with it.

Under

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833

post #2 there is a utility to fix preferExternal issue described below.

Unfortunately I can't incorporate signing into that utility as apps in question are not mine.

I have to see yet the app which refuses to be installed by combination of Ermine 1.xxx, apkfixer utility and signing using SDK.

None of these steps require rooting.

Quote:
I believe I know why Baby Names installation fails - this is the second app with the same problem, the first one is Merriam Webster dictionary.
I can fix it, but I'm afraid only for myself.
But I can give you direction:

first, you need a tool called apktool, it's easy to find, install and use;
second, you need Android emulator, which you can create downloading Android SDK to get adb;
third, you need to install Amazon Appstore on that emulator;
forth, install Baby Names on that emulator through Appstore;
fifth, extract (adb pull) mobi.wiegandtech.babynameslite.apk from the emulator, it’s under /data/app;
sixth, using apktool disassemble that apk (“decode” in their terminology);
seventh, you need to edit file AndroidManifest.xml

it has

android:installLocation="preferExternal"

put internalOnly instead of preferExternal.

eighth, reassemble the apk using apktool (“build” in their terminology);
ninth, copy the updated apk onto your device;
tenth, install it.
Instead of the last two steps you can install the app with adb install.

Officially in Android “prefer” means exactly that, and if it fails to install the app on an external memory it should switch to internal one. Some blame this fault on enTourage, but I believe it’s error processing of Android fails (in logcat one can see java’s stack).

It looks like a lot of trouble, but you need to do it only once and, then, you’ll love it.
You even can create an emulator running Android Market and pull apps from it.

Regarding Kobo:
Ermine 0.9 released by enToutage is missing a lot of important components. In that thread I mentioned above, post #1, you can find updated version of Ermine with missing parts. That’s the version I used to install Kobo reader without problems. Again, it helped me with a few apps.

Last edited by ptsenter; 08-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
I don't know if this will help, but you might install z4root from the Amazon Appstore. I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to it, but several attempted app installs from Amazon failed on me before I rooted my PE. I have had far fewer of these since I rooted. (Coincidence? Maaaaayyyybe...)

edit: This is why I am usually loath to spend MONEY on an Amazon app. I have bought a couple that failed to install, no matter how many rain-dances I did.
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
Lobotom1
Lobotom1 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
trouble using apkfixer

Issue solved, apktool has to be installed also to be able to use apkfixer.

Hi,

Trying to use the apkfixer on my win 7 running the apkfixer.bat file I got the an error message on the dos box while selecting the apk file I want to fix. (log is below).

If I click on apkfixer.jar, when I select the akp file I want to fix, nothing happens.

F:\Progs\ApkFixer>java -jar apkfixer.jar
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "apktool.bat": CreateProcess error=2, the specified file cannot be found
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at com.ptsenter.apkfixer.ApkfixerView.jFileChooser2Ac tionPerformed(Apkfi
xerView.java:226)
at com.ptsenter.apkfixer.ApkfixerView.access$800(Apkf ixerView.java:27)
at com.ptsenter.apkfixer.ApkfixerView$4.actionPerform ed(ApkfixerView.jav
a:127)
at javax.swing.JFileChooser.fireActionPerformed(Unkno wn Source)
at javax.swing.JFileChooser.approveSelection(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI$Handler. mouseClicked(Unknow
n Source)
at sun.swing.FilePane$Handler.mouseClicked(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseClicked(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent( Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(U nknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unkno wn Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(Unknown
Source)
Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, Le fichier spÚcifiÚ est i
ntrouvable
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
... 43 more

Last edited by Lobotom1; 08-23-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: found the issue
Lobotom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Lobotom1
Lobotom1 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Hi again,

After the apkfilter window is gone I am left with the directory of the corresponding opened APK file but I can't find the modified rebuilded apk.

Is there something else that should be done in order to recreate the apk ?
Lobotom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotom1 View Post
Hi again,

After the apkfilter window is gone I am left with the directory of the corresponding opened APK file but I can't find the modified rebuilded apk.

Is there something else that should be done in order to recreate the apk ?
There should be directory created under <apkname> called dist. That's where a new apk.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzusplace13 View Post
There are a few programs that I have been trying to install on my dualbook. They are the kobo reader and something called "baby names". I got them from the Amazon App Store and they would not install. The edge would start the process and then stop suddenly saying app not installed. I even tried finding apks for them elsewhere but got the same result. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I'm using 2.2 and they are both claimed by Amazon to be "compatible" with my registered device. Hopefully someone can help and/or tell me where I might be able to get these programs....

Thanks,
Brande
Unfortunately some Apps by default will try and install to SD card. Even if you don't have an SD card installed, the Edge's internal memory is divided (not evenly) into two portions, App memory and SD card (for Library content etc.). This is a well-known problem with the Ermine build for the Edge and keenyminot has an excellent thread discussing how to fix it. However, it requires the Edge to be rooted.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124

Here is a link to Kobo which I have installed on my Pocket Edge:

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/kobo

I downloaded the free Baby Names App from Amazon and can confirm it will not install.

Last edited by obsessed2; 08-27-2011 at 08:14 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote