Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
KMA415
KMA415 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can you answer some questions for me?

I don't know where this would go in this forum or even a place where I could find this stuff out so I figured what better place to ask than on a forum with people who are used to these things. I read a lot, and I mean a lot, like a novel a day, and I'm tired of carrying 3 or 4 thick books in my bag just to make sure I always have something to read. So I thought I would get one of these readers but I don't know anything about them. Like for instance, are the ebooks the same price as paper books? Is there any way to put books that you've already bought on the devices? What kind of books can be put on there? There's several series that I like and I also like manga and comic books. Also, what reader would you suggest for quick loading (I'm impatient) and storage? I don't need top of the line though, as I'm not looking to spend all my book money on something just to read them on.

Thanks!

KMA415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
hhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA415 View Post
I don't know where this would go in this forum or even a place where I could find this stuff out so I figured what better place to ask than on a forum with people who are used to these things. I read a lot, and I mean a lot, like a novel a day, and I'm tired of carrying 3 or 4 thick books in my bag just to make sure I always have something to read. So I thought I would get one of these readers but I don't know anything about them. Like for instance, are the ebooks the same price as paper books? Is there any way to put books that you've already bought on the devices? What kind of books can be put on there? There's several series that I like and I also like manga and comic books. Also, what reader would you suggest for quick loading (I'm impatient) and storage? I don't need top of the line though, as I'm not looking to spend all my book money on something just to read them on.

Thanks!

There are several good ebook readers out there. Right now, it appears that new models are coming out in sizes such as 5" (diagonal), 7", 8.x" and 10" displays to complement the more common 6" e-ink display size. Also, Microsoft (Courier) and Apple (maybe?) are coming out with 7" LCD-based tablet/ereader devices. Usually, LCD-display ereaders have far shorter battery life than e-ink devices. (If you read for an hour or two per day, with maybe 100-150 "page flips", you can expect the batteries to last for anywhere from 4-7 days before needing recharging.)

Now ebook prices can range from $6.99 (for newer releases) to $26.95 (for example, "The Lost Symbol" ebook was originally priced at $26.95, pre-release orders, but they dropped it down to $9.95 by the time it actually released.) However, pricing changes somewhat with the particular ebook format used. I've noticed most newer books in Kindle *rarely* are priced below $9.95, but the Secure Mobipocket versions from Fictionwise often are listed at $6.99.

As for cross-device compatibility, it's danged near impossible to get a Sony PRS-format ebook to convert to Mobipocket or eReader, but the other way is quite possible. Also, there's this new format (ePub) that appears to be sweeping across the device spectrum (although I'ved not heard of Kindle supporting it). On the other hand, PDF is so display-specific, that it's pretty much useless for most 5" or 6" devices - still, with a copy of Acrobat Pro, you can convert to text and then re-convert to a standard ebook format.

I've been using a Sony PRS-500 for several years and Bookeen Cybook Gen 3s for almost as long and I love them. If you really like to read, get one.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There is a page in the Wiki that has a table comparing all the know devices that you can look at. Just hang around here long enough and you start absorbing the jargon, as well.

I have moved this thread to the "Which One Should I Buy?" forum, also.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
1) I read a lot ... like a novel a day...
Yep, that's a lot.

2) ...are the ebooks the same price as paper books?
It varies, especially by publisher. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. In general, they tend to be roughly equal in priced to the lowest price version of currently available paper books (hardcover, trade, mass market paperback).

3) Is there any way to put books that you've already bought on the devices?
Not without either buying a new copy, or scanning the paper book.

4) What kind of books can be put on there? There's several series that I like and I also like manga and comic books.
Dedicated readers with B&W screens are best for novels, short stories, and other kinds of mostly text documents. What books are available as ebooks varies by genre and publisher. You'll have to check on the specific items you're interested in. Some people read graphic novels, etc. on dedicated readers. I doubt I would.

5) Also, what reader would you suggest for quick loading (I'm impatient) and storage? I don't need top of the line though, as I'm not looking to spend all my book money on something just to read them on.
I'd go with something that had an SD memory card or other kind of removable memory card. That's often faster than dealing with cables. Alternatively, the Amazon Kindle and a couple of coming devices can load directly over a built in cell phone data terminal.

If you want to get your feet wet, try reading on a smartphone or PDA if you have one. If you like that, you may want to invest in a dedicated reader. The reader will be more pleasant to read on for many people, although I tend to use both. My jetBook is good in well-lit areas; my PDA is good for dimly lit areas and also is more flexible in what formats it can read. My smartphone is with me a lot. They all have their advantages.

Good Luck,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Given how many novels you read, your best approach is first to find the stores that sell what you like at the best price. With the exception of genres like science fiction and romance, the best place is probably the Kindle Store on Amazon.com. Note that all ebook stores have geographic restrictions, but the Kindle store requires you to own a Kindle or an iPhone/iPod Touch to buy from them.

If the Kindle store is best, then get a Kindle 2. If any other store looks good, then you have more choices.

If you intend to get ebooks from a lending library, then MOBI ebooks are readable (with some effort) on the Kindle, but there are many more Adobe ebooks at lending libraries. See what ebooks your local library contains (if any). Many ebook readers, other than the Kindle, will read Adobe lending library ebooks.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert