Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Bluefrogs3
Bluefrogs3 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: EBW-1150
Smile Should i buy an ebookwise 1150?

I'm new to this whole ebook reader thing,I like the idea of taking my library with me and was wondering if this unit is a good starter for someone who uses a mp3 player with a tiny screen(1.5"x1.25") to read? Very hard on my eyes after about 30min. or so!!!!
Bluefrogs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is my opinion only.

Before I offer you my thoughts, I would beware of anyone telling what you should do. Also, listen to the language of the posts and try to find out if someone here has an agenda that does not coincide with your best interests.

I like the 1150, even though I don't own one. However, I currently own three 1100s, so I have an informed opinion.

Positives:

1) if you find backlighting mandatory, then the 1150 should be an enjoyable Reader.

2) It has an incredible ergonomic feel.

3) It's relatively inexpensive.

4) You enjoy reading mainly (NOT exclusively!) public domain books, which are readily available, then the 1150 is an excellent choice.

Negatives:

1) It uses the imp format, which is a pretty much closed system.

2) The author selection is somewhat limited compared to the major authors (and, in some cases the titles) that are available.

3) The techonology is older. This does NOT make it obsolete, in my opinion; it's just an older technology.

4) If you want the newest and fanciest Reader right now, then e-ink is probably the way to go.

5) I don't think it even will paly mp3s - if I'm understanding your question.

The Ebookwise 1150 is a great Reader, in my opinion, if that is the one you choose to purchase.

Have fun and enjoy.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi There!

I love my EB-1150 and wouldn't trade it for any of the other more advanced reading devices. It's tough enough to survive rough handling, MOBI (.prc) content is easy to convert, and it has a backlight for reading in the dark.

If you scan a few threads, you will be surprised how many people list it as a device they own. I highly recommend it.

Happy Reading!

PS - Like Don said, it does not play MP3's. There's a hole in the bottom that looks like it would play music, but from what I understand, it is just an artifact that they forgot to remove when they made this version. The jack does not do anything at all, just to be clear.

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-24-2008 at 02:57 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Bluefrogs3

I have read that it excepts .txt which is what most of my ebooks are . The description of the product states that you can download .txt, html,.doc and other formats. I'm not sure what .imp is. Is there a converter that I can download so that I can upload them to the unit if I chose to get one of these??
Old 09-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.imp is the native format.

There are converters out there that can convert to the .imp format. There's also the converter from ebookwise.com

I mention that site only because I'm not certain if you've seen it. There's a converter for sale from them, in addition to the 1150, of course.

I'm no expert on the Ebookwise, but there are some VERY knowledgeable people here with very good advice on the Ebookwise 1150.

Don
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There are a couple of applications that you can use to convert various file formats to .imp. Look in the eBookwise thread for a current project that will let you connect the eBw to the web via a utility on a PC. You can then download txt or several other unsecured formats and the utility will convert them and load them onto your eBookwise. (You'd need to strip out DRM from secured formats first.)

I did switch from my eBookwise 1150 to an iRex iLiad, but that was because I needed PDF support to read journal articles for grad school. (And right after I did that, a converter was created that made PDF docs readable on the 1150!) For regular fiction reading purposes, I think the eBw 1150 is a great choice. My daughter is still using mine. However, here are limitations:

- You'll have to convert everything to load it, rather than just being able to access it like a usb drive

- The battery life isn't as good as most of the 6" e ink readers (but it's better than the iLiad) -- keep the backlight turned down, and you'll probably get about 20 hours per charge

- The touch-sensitive screen isn't as readable in sunlight as e ink

- The screen resolution isn't as good as e ink, and you can't change to a wide variety of fonts

- Maximum memory card size is 128 Mb, compared to CF or SD cards that support gigabytes on more recent readers

But you can't beat the price for that size screen, and it does work!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefrogs3 View Post
I have read that it excepts .txt which is what most of my ebooks are . The description of the product states that you can download .txt, html,.doc and other formats. I'm not sure what .imp is. Is there a converter that I can download so that I can upload them to the unit if I chose to get one of these??
The many ways to get content onto the EBW1150 are discussed here at the www.ebookwise.com website in their Help section.

The reader only understands .imp (see the IMP wiki for more info), but has numerous ways to get .prc/.pdb/.lit/.pdf ebooks into .imp (some more involved than others!).

For a list of all programs/converters, see IMP software...

Happy reading, too bad you can't use your EBW1150 to read this (or can you )!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Bluefrogs3

Thank you to all who wrote. I think I'll get one !! I know e-bay has them for under $150!!! Anyone know where I can get one for less? I know I'm asking for a miricle! Oh well....... It don't hurt to ask....Ha-Ha
Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
eBookwise often has sales....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thank you to all who wrote. I think I'll get one !! I know e-bay has them for under $150!!! Anyone know where I can get one for less? I know I'm asking for a miricle! Oh well....... It don't hurt to ask....Ha-Ha
Go to the source at www.ebookwise.com and it costs $139. Also, in the beginning, it is very easy to load it up from there. Buy the books there, download the USB driver from their site, plug you device into your computer, and it's just a couple of taps on the touchscreen to download your books. Then when you fall in love with it immediately, you can come here and get all the free reading material you could ever wish for.

Welcome to the club!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Should i buy an ebookwize 1150?
I have both the Sony PRS-505 and the eBookWise 1150. I received the 505 as a gift then later I bought my daughter the 1150.

Both are excellent devices, both have their merits and demerits

Since you asked about the 1150 I'll keep my comments on that product.

What I like about this device
1) Integrated light (via Back lighting). It's not so much that it's back lit that I like but the fact that I don't have to buy a light or have lighting in my room to read is HUGE.
2) The stylus and annotation is very neat. Esp if you are reading philosophy, technical material, etc..
3) The ergonomics. This device is very conformable. It also has a page flip for the lefties.
4) The UI is very user friendly.
5) It comes with a FREE dictionary. (This is truly awsome, something I sorely miss on my SONY)
6) Batter last a long time for a back lit device.
7) The price $100 what a steal.

What I don't like
1) Material is REALLY difficult to get on the device, this is coming from a tech buff. If you go with the default solution, downloading from eBookWise then it is trivial.
There are tools that make this step easy but you will have to set them up. So far Impserv has proven to be the easiest solution to install and get working.
2) The screen does not look as good as the SONY PRS-505, one can see the pixelization. This effect goes away once you start to read but it's very obvious.
3) Memory limit is 8MB.
4) Expanded memory only supports Smart Media. This is probably my biggest grip. Smart media is a dead format that is very expensive compared other equivalent technologies. ( A 2GB SD = $12, a 128MB SM = $60)
5) It's too big to carry around. I think I'm just spoiled by my SONY which is so small an thin. I shove it in my back pocket and take off. Can't do that with the EB1150.

My overall impression is for as old as this device is, compared to other dedicated readers. They have one of the best form factors. It is inexpensive, ergonomic, user friendly. I think any new eBook reader out there should seriously look at this device as a best in product. Where they seriously fall short is on the ease of putting content on the device.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-24-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: I've been correct the 1150 does not play music, (music icon threw me off)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
There are several converters. The best and most versatile one is eBook Publisher and is a free download. It also permits viewing imp files on a pc or mac so it can be a reader as well.

The eBookwise Librarian product is a for sale add-on that also allows managing your eBooks and adding them directly to your eBook reader. There are other ways including the impserve that is being talked about in this forum. It is free.

You will likely need a SMC card to go with your reader. Sometimes this card is packaged with the unit. 64M or 128M are the sizes you will want.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I recommend buying one directly from Ebookwise.com if you live in the U.S. or Canada.

The current price without a 64 meg card is $109.00, or $139.00 with the card. I highly recommend the card. Shipping, I think, is $10 or less.

During Christmas, they'll often run specials on the Reader.

I wouldn't wait that long, however.

Don
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
Bluefrogs3

Now i'm not sure what i want to do! You made the Sony PRS 505 sound appelling!! Know where I can get one of those for under $150...?? Maybe I should just stick with the ebw 1150....Maybe I will get my mind right before Christmas!! I can't wait that long...I want something now!! So many decissions.....Arg....
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
You can't find the Sony 505 for anywhere close to $150. There is a deal where you sign up for a Sony Credit card and get $150 in credit for Sony products, that would work.

I am also considering an ebookwise 1150 for the price. I believe the backlit screen is sorta like the old Sony CLIE SJ20 PDA, which had a very nice backlight. I'm not a big reader but have a ton of downloaded books (mostly text files) that I don't want to bother reading on my computer.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote