Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #76
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wish Kobo and Kindle (and all touch screen ereaders) would have an option for touch anywhere on the page to page forward, and swipe to page back. I very seldom need to page back, and I am constantly page forwarding.
Yes, exactly this!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Can anyone else verify this? I just tried this, and when I tap while reading, it doesn't turn the page ( I get a circle with a - sign flash in the footer)? This is with stock firmware reading an epub.
I could if I could find were I put my 650 and i it still charges.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I could if I could find were I put my 650 and i it still charges.
Reading the manual, it indicates swipes to turn pages; no mention of tapping.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #79
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Reading the manual, it indicates swipes to turn pages; no mention of tapping.
And searching on the Sony section, it appears that the stock firmware is swipe only while reading, while modified firmware allows for tapping.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #80
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
What remote did you get and what reading app dix you set it up with?
I tried a few and the one I settled with is:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Cheap
- Rechargeable battery
- Lasts for ages even if you leave it on all the time
- Small and light

Although a single button device would be ideal for me, the only suitable ones I could find are designed as remote camera shutters. I tried one and it didn't work.

The remote I use is fine out of the box, but I modified it a little to be even better for my needs:
- Opened the case and superglued all the buttons except back/next
- Stuck a small 3M plastic pad over the next button so I know my thumb is over the right button without looking

I use it with MoonReader and Tachiyomi and no setup was required within these apps.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #81
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
My first reader was an Aztac Pocket Pro, it had buttons, since everything had buttons. When its battery finally died, I've had several Nooks, which drove me crazy, and a Kobo mini, which I loved, size-wise, but the touchscreen was odd enough an ant crawled across the screen and was opening books.

Right now I have the Forma. I really like it, and I like that if I want to use it in either hand, the buttons switch which goes forward and back.

I have this tendency to read while I'm eating lunch, or snacks and I always end up with grease (or once maple syrup) on my buttons. I would MUCH rather clean a button than my screen.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #82
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
A remote??? That would be extremely awkward. E-reader in one hand and remote in the other ..... ������
Actually, I do have and use a remote. For some applications. The tablet on its stand, myself in position (reclined, floating etc.). It can be definetly more practical than touch interaction; that is especially for quick rewind in dynamic contexts (video, autoscroll etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Can't they just reach out and push the button or touch the screen?
It would be uncomfortable in zero gravity. Or when your body is forgotten in the comfort of a position that does not hold the tablet. Then it is more efficient to move a finger than to move an arm. (By the way: my stands are not rock solid and vibrate like in a thunderstorm at tablet touch. Even though they are doubled for stability.)

We invented technology as a rightful celebration of laziness, better called efficiency.

Last edited by mdp; 02-08-2020 at 07:16 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #83
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Buttons are overrated.
No they are not (per se), they are freedom, they are option, they are direly missed when you need them and they are not there. Try for example scrolling web pages through swipe on EPD using software that is optimal on fast screens. It depends on what you are doing.

I have neglected Onyx - which I have been closely following for years - since they abandoned the hardware buttons.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
No they are not (per se), they are freedom, they are option, they are direly missed when you need them and they are not there. Try for example scrolling web pages through swipe on EPD using software that is optimal on fast screens. It depends on what you are doing.

I have neglected Onyx - which I have been closely following for years - since they abandoned the hardware buttons.
Buttons cost more with no need for the added cost. They don't give freedom, they add expense which is not freedom. Also, they can get in the way on the bezel.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #85
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Buttons cost more with no need for the added cost. They don't give freedom, they add expense which is not freedom. Also, they can get in the way on the bezel.
I see you embrace spartanity as a wise detachment to the world. May your quest be blessed. When I need a tool and it is not there, I unleash my rage upon the land like Tamerlan.

Options may cost (EDIT: no really, how can a Cost-Risk-Benefit prove against the option in this specific case).

I really cannot see how you can consistently write «with no need» after what was expressed before.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I see you embrace spartanity as a wise detachment to the world. May your quest be blessed. When I need a tool and it is not there, I unleash my rage upon the land like Tamerlan.

Options may cost (EDIT: no really, how can a Cost-Risk-Benefit prove against the option in this specific case).

I really cannot see how you can consistently write «with no need» after what was expressed before.
The reason there is no need is that you can do everything with the touch screen that you can with the buttons. That's why there is no need. Need and prefer/want is different. While you may want and prefer buttons, there's really no need.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #87
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The reason there is no need is that you can do everything with the touch screen that you can with the buttons. That's why there is no need. Need and prefer/want is different. While you may want and prefer buttons, there's really no need.
You can do everything with 1's and 0's that you can with all the many thousands of unicode characters, so there is no need for any characters other than 1 and 0.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #88
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
NO YOU CAN'T
Ever hear about Disabilities? Parkinson's tremors made my dads life hell.
I had one eye go bad (no close depth perception) and try and touch a precise spot on a touch (or real) keyboard. it is frustrating as all get out
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #89
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My mother has Macular Degeneration. She can not see a touch screen anymore. She can use touch to tell which button control she wants to use.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To be honest, I didn't think of any physical issues with the touch screen. If one is not able to easily change the page with the touch screen, how does one do other things with the touch screen that the buttons don't do?