Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
Please some help adding dictionaries

I used this guide: https://yingtongli.me/blog/2018/07/30/kobo-rego.html to set up my Clara HD to skip registration/sign in.

Downside is that since device never synced I never seemed to have installed any dictionaries. Currently on firmware 4.10.11655.

1. What would be the most painless method to get dictionaries

Not sure which one to use or in which order. Ex, would #2 work directly on my device without doing any of the steps in #1? Any direction appreciated.

Btw does anyone find the older english dictionaries useful for general purpose reading or are the entries dated?

Thanks
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
With #1 you can add any dictionary you want.
Anything is always better than nothing.
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Method #2 is straight forward (is the one I used the first time), but it has some inconveniences:
  1. You have to use the name of other dictionary and substitute it.
  2. You lost the other dictionary.
  3. When you update through wifi, you lost your new dictionary, that it is substituted by the original one.

Method #1 is more complicated but it is the "definitive" solution. You can add the number of additional dictionaries you want and they do not disappear with the updates. It is the one I have now and I am pretty happy with it.

Note: Do not forget to make a backup of the database, just in case ...
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #4
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
So I'm trying to follow through on method 1 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273820).

I've downloaded the firmware and patch. Wasn't clear at all but I think the next step was to open libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml (I found this is src folder kobopatch) in notepad and enable each patch you wanted.

You're then supposed to edit libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch but I don't see any files in the directory ending with .patch. Are you supposed to put everything in the spoilers anywhere in the file including the <Patch>?
Spoiler:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# To allow searches on Extra dictionaries change space character at end of "Extra: " to another char (ex: "Extra:_")
# The space char causes a non-desired "English - English" when searching on Extra dictionary from main menu.
#
#replace_bytes = BA9478, 20, 5F
#
find_base_address = `\0E\0x\0t\0r\0a\0:\0\x20`
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>

Last edited by please55; 12-17-2018 at 07:11 AM.
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might consider KOReader. Frenzie is adding a menu option to include downloading and installing Stardict dictionaries from an extensive list. This will be added to the existing dictionary management features.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
So I'm trying to follow through on method 1 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273820).

I've downloaded the firmware and patch. Wasn't clear at all but I think the next step was to open libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml (I found this is src folder kobopatch) in notepad and enable each patch you wanted.

You're then supposed to edit libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch but I don't see any files in the directory ending with .patch. Are you supposed to put everything in the spoilers anywhere in the file including the <Patch>?
Spoiler:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# To allow searches on Extra dictionaries change space character at end of "Extra: " to another char (ex: "Extra:_")
# The space char causes a non-desired "English - English" when searching on Extra dictionary from main menu.
#
#replace_bytes = BA9478, 20, 5F
#
find_base_address = `\0E\0x\0t\0r\0a\0:\0\x20`
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>
You have to activate (put patch_enable = `yes` instead of ´no´) in the patch you have included in the Spoiler, that correspond to the file libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml.
Maybe the problem is that now the patches are in files ended in .yaml, while before (the "old" method" the patches were called ending in .patch.

I recommend you to use the new method by geek101, as it is the only working for new fw.

If you have doubts with the new method of patching, I recommend you to read any thread about it (there are a lot with new patches).
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote