Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 11-17-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
preuthier
preuthier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Exclamation Hyphenation in Calibre Viewer

Hello,

Does Viewer support automatic hyphenation ? So far, the texts I have seen displayed in Caliber Viewer do not have automatic hyphenation. That's a shame ! Is there something to do to enable this, or is hyphenation not implemented in Viewer? If so, support for automatic hyphenation would be a more than welcome feature.

preuthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No it doesnt. Use the Polish books tool to add soft hyphens if this important to you.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #3
preuthier

Hyphenation in Calibre Viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No it doesnt. Use the Polish books tool to add soft hyphens if this important to you.
Thank you for your reply. What are soft hyphens ? What is the Polish books tool ? Would it be possible, in the not too distant future, to improve Viewer to support automatic hyphenation like Adobe Digital Editions? I would also like to thank you for all the development of Calibre, because it is a very complete and absolutely brilliant software.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
preuthier

Hello,
I found a nice plugin called "Hyphenate this !" by Saulius P. I installed it. I have no idea how it works, but it works ! Now automatic hyphenation works in Viewer. However, you have to apply "Hyphenate this" book by book if you want it to work.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by preuthier View Post
However, you have to apply "Hyphenate this" book by book if you want it to work.
Similar GUI plugins (Modify Epub, Count Pages, Extract ISBN etc) can be applied against multiple books.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #6
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by preuthier View Post
Hello,

Does Viewer support automatic hyphenation ? So far, the texts I have seen displayed in Caliber Viewer do not have automatic hyphenation. That's a shame ! Is there something to do to enable this, or is hyphenation not implemented in Viewer? If so, support for automatic hyphenation would be a more than welcome feature.

This issue got me curious so I ran the native Calibre Polish tool in one book, just to take a look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hyphenation on, MWSnap0871 2022-11-18, 22_49_52.png
Views:	139
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	197859

vs

Click image for larger version

Name:	hyphenation off, MWSnap0870 2022-11-18, 22_48_29.png
Views:	130
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	197860

On first glance, I don't see much difference... Is there, perhaps, an optimization for reading in other languages, with hyphenation?
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:10 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
hyphenation is mostly useful in european languages with longer words, english not so much.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyphen, hyphenation