Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Historical Fiction about New York

I'm looking for historical sagas about New York, similar to Edward Rutherfurd's New York or Bruce Nicolaysen's de Kuypers series (sadly not available as e-books)--sweeping multigenerational stories, not simply novels set in New York. Any ideas?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Have you read Banished Children of Eve by Peter Quinn? It’s set during the Civil War but still has the sweep you’re looking for.

I love books set in New York; I’ll check my lists to see what else I might find.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Have you read Banished Children of Eve by Peter Quinn? It’s set during the Civil War but still has the sweep you’re looking for.

I love books set in New York; I’ll check my lists to see what else I might find.
Thanks. I don't see an e-book for Banished Children of Eve, unfortunately, though apparently a new paper edition is coming out next month.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, sorry. I’m not all that fond of multi-generational novels, but how would you feel about novels that are as much about New York and a particular time in its history as they are about plot and characters? The historical fiction I’ve liked best set in New York tends to be specific to a particular time, but very much about the time and place.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oops, sorry. I’m not all that fond of multi-generational novels, but how would you feel about novels that are as much about New York and a particular time in its history as they are about plot and characters? The historical fiction I’ve liked best set in New York tends to be specific to a particular time, but very much about the time and place.
Yes, thanks, as long as the focus is on actual historical events as much as possible, rather than just using history as a backdrop.
Advert
Old 03-12-2021, 05:08 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I read and liked the book Elizabeth Street by Fabiano. It'll be hard to find a book that is such a sweeping multi generational book such as those done by Rutherford as his books are as much about the place as they are the characters. But I did like this one. Currently 4.99 for a Kindle at Amazon.

From Amazon

Quote:
Based on true events, Elizabeth Street is a multigenerational saga that opens in an Italian village in the 1900's, and crosses the ocean to New York's Lower East Side. At the heart of the novel is Giovanna, whose family is targeted by the notorious Black Hand -the precursor to the Mafia. Elizabeth Street brings to light a period in history when Italian immigrant neighborhoods lived in fear of Black Hand extortion and violence-a reality that defies the romanticized depiction of the Mafia. Here, the author reveals the merciless terror of the Black Hand-and the impact their crimes had on her family. Giovanna is based on Fabiano's great-grandmother, and the book's heroes and villains - such as Lieutenant Petrosino, the crusading cop and "Lupo the Wolf," a cold-blooded criminal - are drawn from real life in this thrilling tale. While set in a dynamic historical context, Elizabeth Street is, above all, the dramatic story of the heroine, Giovanna, and how she triumphed over tragedy.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I read and liked the book Elizabeth Street by Fabiano. It'll be hard to find a book that is such a sweeping multi generational book such as those done by Rutherford as his books are as much about the place as they are the characters. But I did like this one. Currently 4.99 for a Kindle at Amazon.
Thanks. I've seen that title a number of times before, but passed it by. Maybe I'll take another look.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I’m struggling with this and I thought it would be easy. In part, it’s the ebook issue. Another that has stayed with me is 1939 The Lost World of the Fair by David Gelernter, but no joy on the ebook front.

So, what’s left? I can mildly recommend the recent prize-winning Golden Hill by Francis Spufford, set pre-Revolution. The New York aspects are excellent, but the story is less so, IMO. I very much liked Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann, winner of the National Book Award, but it might not be set long ago enough to qualify as historical for you. It’s mostly about the day of Philippe Petit’s amazing feat, but even a tangential WTC book might be upsetting. In any case you’re probably aware of both of these.

I know you’re no fan of fantasy, but the historical New York aspect of Jack Finney’s two time-travel novels, From Time to Time and Time and Again is fascinating. Both books are quick reads and the fantasy isn’t the mists and magical creatures kind.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Edith Wharton's Old New York: Four Novellas covers the 1840's, 1850's, 1860's, and 1870's.

Individual titles:
False Dawn, The Old Maid, The Spark, and New Year's Day
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
And the Wharton books are in the Kindle and Epub Libraries here.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I’m struggling with this and I thought it would be easy. In part, it’s the ebook issue. Another that has stayed with me is 1939 The Lost World of the Fair by David Gelernter, but no joy on the ebook front.

So, what’s left? I can mildly recommend the recent prize-winning Golden Hill by Francis Spufford, set pre-Revolution. The New York aspects are excellent, but the story is less so, IMO. I very much liked Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann, winner of the National Book Award, but it might not be set long ago enough to qualify as historical for you. It’s mostly about the day of Philippe Petit’s amazing feat, but even a tangential WTC book might be upsetting. In any case you’re probably aware of both of these.

I know you’re no fan of fantasy, but the historical New York aspect of Jack Finney’s two time-travel novels, From Time to Time and Time and Again is fascinating. Both books are quick reads and the fantasy isn’t the mists and magical creatures kind.
Thanks. I had just put the Spufford book on hold at my library the other day. Kind of bummed by your comment on the story, though. I noticed that the McCann book was already on my library wish list, but I don't think I can read about WTC yet--it might take another 20 years. My aversion to time-travel stories will probably last even longer. Nice try, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Edith Wharton's Old New York: Four Novellas covers the 1840's, 1850's, 1860's, and 1870's.

Individual titles:
False Dawn, The Old Maid, The Spark, and New Year's Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
And the Wharton books are in the Kindle and Epub Libraries here.
Thanks. And free is good.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks. I had just put the Spufford book on hold at my library the other day. Kind of bummed by your comment on the story, though. I noticed that the McCann book was already on my library wish list, but I don't think I can read about WTC yet--it might take another 20 years. My aversion to time-travel stories will probably last even longer. Nice try, though!
If you run across anything that’s just the thing, I’d love to hear of it. Books set in New York are a huge enthusiasm of mine. I’ve got about 200 books tagged as New York at Goodreads and that’s why I was surprised I couldn’t come up with much of anything to fit your parameters.

It took me several years to tackle McCann so I get it.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you run across anything that’s just the thing, I’d love to hear of it. Books set in New York are a huge enthusiasm of mine. I’ve got about 200 books tagged as New York at Goodreads and that’s why I was surprised I couldn’t come up with much of anything to fit your parameters.

It took me several years to tackle McCann so I get it.
Please do share some of the New York titles, even if they don't seem to be the kind of thing I have in mind right now.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Please do share some of the New York titles, even if they don't seem to be the kind of thing I have in mind right now.
Will do. In the meantime, I see we haven’t mentioned Doctorow and Ragtime and World’s Fair.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Will do. In the meantime, I see we haven’t mentioned Doctorow and Ragtime and World’s Fair.
Thanks; I'll add them to the list.