Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2021, 06:25 AM   #136
pina
pina began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Are you by any change trying to read it from Mangadex? They're down.
Yes several. Perhaps they are using the same source. But i could read it from mangahub
pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #137
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pina View Post
Yes several. Perhaps they are using the same source. But i could read it from mangahub
Then you should create a GitHub issue that UltimateMangaReader crashes because mangadex is down instead of simply showing an error message
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #138
OfficerAction
Connoisseur
OfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Then you should create a GitHub issue that UltimateMangaReader crashes because mangadex is down instead of simply showing an error message
Yep! Also there seem to be some other issues that can cause some crashes. But I'm in the middle of my graduation process so it will take some time until I can get around to fix them.

Last edited by OfficerAction; 04-09-2021 at 04:07 PM.
OfficerAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #139
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerAction View Post
But I'm in the middle of my graduation process
Hey good luck with that
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #140
robod
robod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you for the work!! I tried previous versions and I coudnt manage to fix the touch issues. With the latest version however, everything seems to work fine, in a Kobo Glo 2013.
Impressive work!
robod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:05 AM   #141
beenaamsa
beenaamsa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've been reading manga for a long time. I read online but buy everything I like to support the industry. I use All mangas reader to keep track of it all. It's fast and updates me on when new things are out and keeps track of all my chapters and stuff.

Yesterday I turn on my laptop and my list of manga is wiped. It's all gone, everything. Also, it doesn't work anymore. I've read the forums and the only advice from the team is "It's your problem" or "Use a proxy server". When I go to make an account on the site to post on the forum it tells me my IP is blacklisted because I'm a spammer
beenaamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:36 AM   #142
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I just installed the latest build on my Clara HD. This is my second time installing it, but the results are the same.

I use Nickel Menu as a launcher. This app is a bit rough, tbh. My Books is filled with dozens of UMR thumbnails and images now, and the app ran, but was frozen and missing GUI elements. Several long presses later on the power button caused the Kobo to reboot. The app loaded better then, with all the chrome buttons in place finally, but the app was not responding to touch. I can't tell if it's inverted or rotated. The app is mostly non-responsive.

I just managed to load one manga by stabbing blindly, but as soon as I finished it, the app became unresponsive again. Reboot again. Now the app crashed and rebooted my Kobo when I touched the menu icon. Upon reboot, it became stuck connecting to WiFi. After longer than thirty seconds, the long press on power finally rebooted my Kobo. Now I noticed that the manga that I looked at earlier was now residing on my Kobo as individual files.

I assume that the Kobo is indexing the files it finds in subdirectories, but is this working as intended?

Each time I long press on the power button, the app reboots the Kobo instead of relaunching Nickel Menu. What am I doing wrong here? I've added the menu item to Nickel and uncompressed the files into .adds on root.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-14-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #143
Aramir
Enthusiast
Aramir began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O & Glo & Glo HD
"My Books is filled with dozens of UMR thumbnails and images now"
I might be wrong but I'm guessing you haven't followed the instructions (when installing NickelMenu) telling you to prevent kobo and adobe folder from being indexed. For my libra h2o I had clear instructions about that. (They might work for your model too, not taking responsabilities). But now that they've indexed, I think you're pretty much screwed and will have to reset the books database. Maybe ask about it on NickelMenu's page
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=70
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=452

"I just managed to load one manga by stabbing blindly", try touching the corners ? That should help you figuring out if the touchpad is reversed, rotated and in what way.
Then all you'll have to do is like all of us modify the .adds\UltimateMangaReader\ultimatemangareader.sh and tweak the line about :touchscreen_rotate=auto:touchscreen_invert_x=auto :touchscreen_invert_y=auto accordingly. (instructions given at page 1 of this thread, section "Known issues")

"stuck connecting to WiFi" ... yeah I complained about that too the app is somewhat unstable from the last update (at least). Dev is currently busy so it won't be fixed soon. We all got things to do, it's okay.

"Each time I long press on the power button, the app reboots the Kobo instead of relaunching Nickel Menu" I have no idea what you're talking about. Using the power button to trigger nickel menu ? Maybe it's quirk of your model I don't know about.
Aramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:07 AM   #144
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramir View Post
"My Books is filled with dozens of UMR thumbnails and images now"
I might be wrong but I'm guessing you haven't followed the instructions (when installing NickelMenu) telling you to prevent kobo and adobe folder from being indexed. For my libra h2o I had clear instructions about that. (They might work for your model too, not taking responsabilities). But now that they've indexed, I think you're pretty much screwed and will have to reset the books database. Maybe ask about it on NickelMenu's page
Removing them was as easy as removing UMR from .adds. However, I haven’t had any issues with NM being indexed. I’m pretty certain I followed the directions, but perhaps something needed to be touched up after my last wipe and system reset.

Quote:
"I just managed to load one manga by stabbing blindly", try touching the corners ? That should help you figuring out if the touchpad is reversed, rotated and in what way.
Then all you'll have to do is like all of us modify the .adds\UltimateMangaReader\ultimatemangareader.sh and tweak the line about :touchscreen_rotate=auto:touchscreen_invert_x=auto :touchscreen_invert_y=auto accordingly. (instructions given at page 1 of this thread, section "Known issues")
I tried all of those tweaks. Why assume I haven’t? SMH

Quote:
"stuck connecting to WiFi" ... yeah I complained about that too the app is somewhat unstable from the last update (at least). Dev is currently busy so it won't be fixed soon. We all got things to do, it's okay.
You sound awful patronizing. I was frustrated and disappointed, not blaming the dev for the ills of the world. The first post on this thread even requests feedback, which I left.

Quote:
"Each time I long press on the power button, the app reboots the Kobo instead of relaunching Nickel Menu" I have no idea what you're talking about. Using the power button to trigger nickel menu ? Maybe it's quirk of your model I don't know about.

I am certain I read that closing UMR relaunches NM. It’s even in the config file. However, with a broken install I had no way to close the app. Thank goodness a long press on the close button rebooted the Kobo. Otherwise, it would be bricked.

Look, I appreciate you taking time to reply, but could you be a pal and dial down the smug snark? It’s not helping me get things up and running. The only useful thing you mentioned was regarding the indexing. As stated before, I didn’t have a problem with NM being indexed, but perhaps something needed to be reconfigured for NM after the reset I experienced. Maybe UMR will install better if I do. I’ll look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-22-2021, 04:25 AM   #145
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

All new Ultimate Manga Reader

I've got UMR working now on my Clara HD. Thanks to help from @NiLuJe and @geek1011 on helping me understand RegEx expressions.

It turns out that adding the following line under [FeatureSettings] was what I needed:

Code:
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?

Without that line, NickelMenu functioned just fine, but Ultimate Manga Reader hit the pavement at 90mph. As you read above, the install was a disaster.

Then editing the following line as follows in ultimatemangareader.sh was able to have an effect, returning touchscreen control to normal on my Clara HD:

Code:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=kobo:touchscreen_rotate=90:touchscreen_invert_x=0:touchscreen_invert_y=0:logicaldpitarget=108

My recommendation to @OfficerAction is to add these tips to the first post so that people don't have to read all the posts to catch up. Without the hidden file filter, users are likely to blame UMR for the bad install. Also, mentioning which line in ultimatemangareader.sh to modify would make that part go a lot smoother for people unfamiliar with that file’s settings structure.

All in all, though, the app works great. I'm looking forward to running it through its paces. I have two questions that perhaps somebody could answer:

1) I wonder if the app truly needs to reboot the Kobo upon closing. Is there a setting I can tweak to prevent this?

2) I have noticed that the backlight is off when the app runs. Others have noticed this as well. Is there a setting to keep the backlight on?

Lastly, I noticed this post from four months ago, a long ago age during kinder and more peaceful times:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=77

How nice that person could ask their newbie questions in a forum where experienced users warmly offered help. I am totally sure that they will continue to carry on that tradition—inspired by the kindness others showed them—when they are in a position to offer assistance. 🙄

Last edited by Cootey; 04-23-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:51 AM   #146
Aramir
Enthusiast

--" seriously trying to trashtalk me ?
1/ I didn't make fun of you
2/ Turns out I pointed you to the correct resources for the ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*? and the fact that you had to tweak the ultimatemangareader.sh didn't I.
3/ I never implied that you were making fun of the dev, just stated that they were away because of their exams and therefore it could take a while for issues to be fixed
4/ Playing the victim and being passive agressive toward the only "pal" that replied to you doesn't seem very productive to me.
5/ Yes I asked for help and ? Trying to throw me under the bus here ? To shame me ? People pointed out resources to me, I've read them and figured out the solution. Kinda like I was doing with you, pointed you to ressources.

Anyways... I'll ignore that. About the rest :

"1) I wonder if the app truly needs to reboot the Kobo upon closing. Is there a setting I can tweak to prevent this?"
I haven't encountered an app that doesn't restart upon closing yet (granted I only installed 4). It seems to be standard procedure to restart the tablet upon exiting apps. If I had to take a blind shot I'd say restarting any tablets is problably the universal and easiest method to restore it to its "standard mode" without having to create specific code for each. And as it doesn't take that long for ereaders to restart nobody bothered to do more than that.

"2) I have noticed that the backlight is off when the app runs. Others have noticed this as well. Is there a setting to keep the backlight on?"
About the brightness being off upon launch. Yes like you mentioned it's a known issue. Only way to deal with it for now is to open any manga and then set the brightness using the top bar but it seems to be buged on the latest version.

Although you can tweak the actual brightness and color values your screen will have at the startup of UMR by configuring the ultimatemangareader.sh file.
For the libra h2o you can add the following lines (it shouldn't matter where as long as it's before
${UMRPATH}/UltimateMangaReader > $LOGFILE 2>&1) :
Code:
echo 80 > /sys/class/backlight/lm3630a_led/brightness
echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/lm3630a_led/color
replace 80 by any values in between 0 and 100 for the brigthness. And 10 by any values in between 0 and 10 for the color/warmness (duh ), use a '.' , not a ',' if you want a fraction value.

Those lines should work for any devices having similar screen and driver as the libra h2o. Check the following link to get more informations about what file to "echo into" for other devices : https://github.com/Rain92/qt5-kobo-p...tions.cpp#L118
If your devices isn't listed.... Try to locate the adequate brightness/color/whatever files of your devices using either the following methods :
- telnet into your devices and search for the files, they should be somewhere within sys/class/backlight/*****
- use KOReader (enable "Show Hidden Files" and "Show unsupported Files" in its settings), and try to locate whatever brightness/color files within sys/class/backlight/***

I'm not taking responsabilities if your device catch on fire, you stubb your toe in the corner of a table, etc. If you don't know what you're doing you should probably don't try it.

It is not a "hole in one" fix as UMR will reset the brigthness and color to zero if you put your ereader to sleep... But it will do for now.

"My recommendation to @OfficerAction ..."
The rotation procedure is already mentioned in the first post (cf Known Issues). Althought the excludeFolder is not, probably because it's usually mentioned in most of the nm install instructions already so they assumed it wasn't necessary to repeat it there.

Last edited by Aramir; 09-03-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #147
Brain
Enthusiast
Brain began at the beginning.

In regards to
Quote:
To add a launch entry in NickelMenu the following line has to be added to the config file:
What is the precise location of that config file?
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #148
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
In regards to What is the precise location of that config file?

/.adds/nm/config

Old 05-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #149
Brain
Enthusiast
Brain began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
/.adds/nm/config

Am I missing something? I have Nickel Menu installed from a one click package, alongside koreader and plato and that's the content of said folder:

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #150
Aramir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
Am I missing something? I have Nickel Menu installed from a one click package, alongside koreader and plato and that's the content of said folder:

Each file in this directory correspond to an entry in NickelMenu except kfmon and doc (wich holds the documentation duh )
Therefore if you don't create a UMR file in this folder there won't be a UMR entry in nickel menu. Obviously you can't just create an empty file and call it a day. So you can read the doc file to know what to put in your file. Use the koreader/plato file as a template.

Here's what I put in my UMR file (I've create a umr.png associated to it but NM doesn't need it, it's useful for kfmon thought)
Code:
# Launch Plato via KFMon
# NOTE: .adds/nm/kfmon will generate this automatically
#menu_item : main : Ultimate Manga Reader : umr     : umr.png

# Launch Plato directly via NM
#menu_item : main : Ultimate Manga Reader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh
You might also want to add an entry for kfmon then.
In .adds/kfmon/configs/**** like stated previously use the already existing entries as a template.

My UltimateMangaReader.ini is
Code:
[watch]
; Those next two keys are MANDATORY
filename = /mnt/onboard/umr.png			; Absolute path of the icon to watch for
action = /mnt/onboard/.adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh	; Absolute path of the command to launch when the icon is opened
; The following keys are NOT mandatory
label = UltimateMangaReader					; Label available for use by a GUI frontend
hidden = 0						; Whether to hide this entry from a GUI frontend
block_spawns = 1					; Prevents *any* script from being launched via KFMon while the command launched by this watch is still running.
							; This is useful for document readers, because they could otherwise trigger unwanted
							; behavior through their file manager, metadata reader, or thumbnailer.
do_db_update = 0					; Do we want to update Nickel's DB for this icon? (Potentially unsafe, disabled by default)
; If you enabled do_db_update, the next three keys NEED to be set
db_title = UltimateMangaReader					; Title to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
db_author = UltimateMangaReader Devs				; Author to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
db_comment = Streaming Manga Reader application		; Comment to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1