Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #28156
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I'm finally going to start Wheel of Time. It's been delayed too many times.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #28157
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I'm finally going to start Wheel of Time. It's been delayed too many times.
What a great series that is! I'm about to start book 7 soon. 👍
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #28158
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's certainly not her best work, and is her first or second published novel.
There's clearly a problem of racist language and attitudes in the first part of the book, which resurfaces in a different form in the Scottish part. Probably completely unremarkable at the time, which I suppose shows how things have improved.

I quite like the way Inspector Grant is puzzled by the case. And there are some signs of the good writing to come. (I especially liked the Princess and the Pea analogy.)
Yes, we read it for the old MR Book Club (a re-read in my case), and it had both virtues and those now highly jarring and racists sections. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it did require a willing suspension of modern day sensibilities. I'm hoping that we don't run into similar problems with next month's New Leaf Book Club reading of A Daughter of Time.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #28159
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Grayson Manor Haunting by Cheryl Bradshaw. Nothing very surprising here: a clumsy romance, a fairly standard ghost and your average* medium coming into her talent. If you're happy enough to buy into the spirit* of this for the duration, it is light and easy reading, but that's about all. 2.5/5 ( * Sorry, couldn't help myself. No, the book is not a comedy. And yes, this is a real fence sitter score. )

The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale. I loved this. Magical and emotionally intense! The first part was essentially sweet with only hints of darkness, so I came to love the characters and toys and the setting, but then the Great War hits and everything starts to fall apart. Wonderfully done. Except very early on, the story rarely went where I expected it to go, and it felt longer than it was, but in a good way: it seemed to pack a lot in. I didn't want to rush it but couldn't put it down. 5/5

I need some time to wind down from The Toymakers, so I'm moving on to some non-fiction for a day or two: Scientific American's Physics: New Frontiers.

Last edited by gmw; 03-18-2019 at 07:34 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #28160
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next will be The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke. My oldest unread book from 2014.
At first I was struggling with this but I held on and in the end it was superb. The author's style is not my favorite but I grew to enjoy it a lot. Strong sense of place. I actually felt I was in New Orleans experiencing everything alongside the main character who is one tortured soul. Poor guy. This is not a cozy. Pronounced violence. A good solid read. Make that a very good read. Rated B+ [4 stars].

Next TBD.

Last edited by Fbone; 03-18-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #28161
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished The Party by Robyn Harding. One of those books that has a cliffhanger at the end of almost every chapter! So yeah had to keep reading. lol

Now reading The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #28162
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Listening to The Mystery of Edwin Drood from the Librivox audio. This is my third time reading Drood, so the audio is a nice refresher.

Reading (and should finish today) In Black and White: A Novel by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki. This is a recent translation of one of Tanizaki's earliest works. He wrote it serialized for the newspaper.

Which makes me realize, I am reading two serialized novels at once.
Since this I have completed:
  • The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Dickens
  • In Black and White: A Novel by Tanizaki
  • Gently with the Painters by Alan Hunter
  • The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West - First five star read for me since January.
  • Pluto vol. 3 by Tezuak x Urasawa
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #28163
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
What a great series that is! I'm about to start book 7 soon. 👍
I've been interspersing it with various book group reads so still in the early chapters and getting to know the characters. I've heard so much about this series and have meant to start this book for ages!

My one mistake is I also started Lightbringer recently. I usually try to keep multiple reads in different genres so I don't get confused about what happened in which book!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #28164
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I've been interspersing it with various book group reads so still in the early chapters and getting to know the characters. I've heard so much about this series and have meant to start this book for ages!

My one mistake is I also started Lightbringer recently. I usually try to keep multiple reads in different genres so I don't get confused about what happened in which book!
Big mistake! 😂
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #28165
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Witches of Karres" by James H.Schmitz, bought from Baen in 2005. I've read Schmitz's "Hub Federation" short stories (again published by Baen) previously and been moderately entertained by them, but no more. This novel, though, I enjoyed enormously. His best work by far, to my mind. Very highly recommended!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #28166
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "The Witches of Karres" by James H.Schmitz, bought from Baen in 2005. I've read Schmitz's "Hub Federation" short stories (again published by Baen) previously and been moderately entertained by them, but no more. This novel, though, I enjoyed enormously. His best work by far, to my mind. Very highly recommended!
I'm glad to hear this! I was just looking over some of my books/audiobooks a week ago and came across "The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 2B". "The Witches of Karres" is in that volume, and since you recommended it, I'll try to get it read soon. I am 90% finished with a re-read of Volume 1. I bought that, geez, had to be 40 or 50 years ago! I'm just starting into volume 2B now (I haven't read this volume yet). I need to pick up Volume 2A also - I don't have that one.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #28167
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I first read this when I was a lot younger and have enjoyed rereading it over the years. And I also think it is his best work.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #28168
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I'm glad to hear this! I was just looking over some of my books/audiobooks a week ago and came across "The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 2B". "The Witches of Karres" is in that volume, and since you recommended it, I'll try to get it read soon. I am 90% finished with a re-read of Volume 1. I bought that, geez, had to be 40 or 50 years ago! I'm just starting into volume 2B now (I haven't read this volume yet). I need to pick up Volume 2A also - I don't have that one.
That's the original short story from 1949. He expanded it into a novel in 1967. I was referring to the novel.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #28169
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
That's the original short story from 1949. He expanded it into a novel in 1967. I was referring to the novel.
Ahh. I see. Thanks for the clarification.

There are a couple of other short stories in those SciFi volumes that later went on to become novels. From Volume 1 there is "Nightfall" by Asimov, and "Flowers for Algernon" by Keyes. There may be others that went through this evolution that I am not familiar with (like "Witches").
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #28170
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The Case of the Careless Kitten by Erle Stanley Gardner -- in which the solution of the case, not to mention the exoneration of Della Street from the criminal charges brought by Hamilton Burger, rests upon the correct interpretation of a kitten's behavior.

Gardner had to have shared his house with a kitten -- his descriptions of the kitten's behavior and mishaps brought similar examples to my mind from my own experiences with Pixie - my careless kitten. (or brainless... or fearless ... or clueless ....)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote