Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
spannah
spannah began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Windows wants to format Kobo drive

This is my wife's Kobo and here is what happen:
- She got the Kobo last week, and one of the first things was to do the updates etc.
- Yesterday, somehow, she lost all her books (the 100 free and a few she had bought)
- She decided to do a factory restore, but alas no books
- Additionally Windows 7 is now asking to format the E: drive. This is the Kobo drive letter
- We have attempted the forced update as described in other threads and as suggested by customer service but it fails to complete

Other notes:
- The device is not locked up or bricked - can use the buttons, go through menu and settings, just that there are no books available
- Tried the factory default more then once - first time plugging in the device right after doing this, Kobo is recognized, but gives the format drive dialog from the OS. After managing to eject the device and plugging the device again, then it is not recognized
- I have tried many Google searches for information on Kobo, drive, format, file system and so on, but most result are on e-book formats, which don't help me much

Questions:
- Anyone come across this? (windows prompt to format Kobo drive)
- Is it safe to format? Which file system should be used?
- If the drive is re-formatted, will a subsequent factory restore and update, or just update, rewrite whatever files are needed?
- Will the update done at Chapters resolve this issue?

Any info on this would be great. Thanks
spannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I've not come across this or recall reading about other users here with the problem but it probably is worth looking at some of the update and "bricked" threads here. I don't think it would be safe to format unless you had a backup from the entire contents when it was still in a good state so I'd recommend holding back on formatting unless someone can confirm that it is safe.

Have you contacted Kobo's support? Perhaps a Kobo employee will see your thread here and they can track a support ticket to make sure it gets the right attention.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
spannah

Thanks, my wife had actually contacted customer support even before I knew these forums existed. I also read through some of the bricked/locked up kobo threads in here, but could find anything.

The good news - today we took the device to an Indigo store, and had the SD update done. The kobo is working again and the wife is happy :-)
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Wow. You can get an SD update in an Indigo store? That's impressive! Kudos for Kobo!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Love to see that service offered here in Australia!

I am loathe to update due to so many others having issues.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Love to see that service offered here in Australia!

I am loathe to update due to so many others having issues.
Me too, SabreDog, even though it would mean a four hour round trip to get it done instore, it would certainly give me peace of mind!
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
spannah

A few updates/notes:

- Kobo still working fine. My wife has been able to upload new books, and all seems well. Yay :-)

- There is a Chapters closer then the Indigo store, but when I originally bought the device Chapters was out, and I got the last one from Indigo. I went to the Indigo store because I was thinking if the update didn't work I would return/exchange the device since there were about 2 days left out of the 14.

- I did call ahead to make sure they could do it there. Also, they don't give away the SD card but just use their own (I believe this to be the norm, but just though I would clarify).

- The Indigo lady did the update right in front of us, and from the little I could see on the kobo screen, there was a whole lot more going on than with the more common pc update.

- My theory of the whole problem was that at one time or another the file system got corrupted, hence why windows was prompting to format the drive. The SD update most likely re-formatted the internal partition that appears as a drive letter in windows. The common pc update does not do this - perhaps it should be an advanced option, in case the regular update fails.

- The first thing we did once we got home was copy the full contents of the kobo drive to a new folder in windows. I also noted that the file system of the drive is FAT32, as with most flash memory devices.

- If this was to happen again (where windows is asking to format the kobo drive), I would likely try to re-format the drive and copy over the original contents.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevensleeper View Post
I have same problem!!!!!!Solution?
You have an original Kobo with the D-pad???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread_Necromancy_04.png
Views:	209
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	169470  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo drive format drive