Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Note2 and ebook practices to get best illustration

I've got a Note2, and have found that illustrations in ebooks (b/w drawings, but also some gray scale and color illustrations, as identified with Calibre's ebook viewer) tend to be at small scales, or not as crisply rendered (i.e., resolution) as I thought I would get with a high resolution screen. Some of these illustrations have include:
- japanese woodblock prints, reproduced in current ebooks published in 2013
- Gustave Dore illustrations in Dante (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso) obtained from Gutenberg.org
- Maps and drawings in current ebook publications of LOTR.

I use epub as a standard format for all my ebooks; is there some setting or optimization I should make in the Calibre conversion to create a better file?

Or, is there some setting on the Note2 to better render illustrations?

I also use Moon+ as my primary ebook reader - are there some setting there to optimize illustrations

I realize these are very broad questions, but I'm not sure (yet) what the problem is, or if there is a problem. Any suggestions about best formats and practices, or references/links to threads in other forums, are appreciated

TIA
Ed
gandoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Tell you what, I'll sell you my old Note in exchange, your Dante example renders just fine for me! I always have issues with this but generally speaking in my experience it is publishers cutting the epub short (possibly because a lot of what I read is from a library) so they don't render the illustrations in hi-res. So, no matter what device you use, including a computer screen, it will still look bad.

I assume that when you are reading ePubs you just hold your finger over the illustration until it pops into image viewing mode in NeoReader and then you can zoom to your heart's content? My software is a bit older than yours so you may be able to play with the image contrast while viewing the image, my Note seems to allow you to set image contrast settings and when you zoom in, you lose those and have to instead rely on the global image contrast settings.

(I use Moon on non eInk devices and otherwise use the native apps on my eReaders)
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I read epubs using KOReader, on my Note 2, and a long press on an image there also lets you scale and manipulate the image. You can take a screenshot of the scaled image and save it as a file that the Note 2 software will let you use as a "screensaver" image.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Check the image resolution in either by extracting the epub (it's just normal zip archive, you can extract it and browse images), or by using calibre ebook editor. If the image embedded inside ebook is low resolution, then I don't think there's much you can do about that.

@Ken Maltby There's new plugin in KOReader, that lets you set screensaver to last book's cover automatically in case you're interested https://github.com/koreader/koreader...x-boox-devices
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Thanks, for the heads up, but I often use other than the initial cover image as a screensaver.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'm finding it's a matter of various settings tweaks and steps to better visualize graphics.

Clearly, I'll need to re-read both the Note2 manual and Moon+ FAQ to better optimize the process.
gandoe is offline   Reply With Quote