Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
When Linux was hyped as desktop-viable, MS cold shouldered it.
Once it became clear it would never happen and MS figured out how to make money off Linux...suddenly Linux was fine.
It wasn't quite that sudden or easy. Microsoft really didn't want to lose the server market -- but they couldn't hold it. Same with smartphones and Zune. They were outmaneuvered under Ballmer. Looks like Azure has about half the market share of AWS, 32% to 16% (at least at the end of 2018) but I don't know if that includes Walmart's move from AWS to Azure. (IBM has only about 3.6% market share? -- that's a bit surprising.)

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/clo...full-year-2018
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Sorry I helped get this thread off subject. As for the devices themselves, they look pretty impressive for those looking at upgrading an Android smartphone or a Surface tablet.

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/20...as5KMqhXsPQ.97

(Reposting the original link.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #33
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
in an attempt to keep the thread on-topic I'll say that I'm skeptical that the surface duo will be good, given that there have been at least 3 Android devices with a similar form factor and they all sucked. Also, it'll be expensive probably. But maybe MS can pull it off.

EDIT: I mean, if it ever comes out. A year is a long time and they might potentially pull the plug.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Another article on the duo:

https://fortune.com/2020/08/12/micro...one-price-tag/

$1400
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #35
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I noticed that the Kindle for Android app recently added support for the Duo, undocumented as far as I can tell. It should make reading Kindle books more book-like on that platform by rendering side-by-side pages on the two screens.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #36
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well at least it's running Android. On a whim I bought a Surface tablet and I found the "user experience" a bit weird; it's not running a tablet OS like Android or the iPad but a full blown Windows 10 in touch screen mode. Everything works, even tapping tiny buttons or text links but something, to me, feels off about using Windows 10 on a touch screen. I guess I'm too used to a tablet specific ui like Android.

And then I made a further mistake by buying the Google Chrome notebook. Chrome now runs Android apps so it would make a nice tablet, except that the keyboard is not detachable and doesn't fold out of the way.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:58 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Well at least it's running Android.
For me, that was a negative (though I do like Android). At one point, Microsoft made some noise about running Android apps in Windows. I guess they gave that up

To me a Surface that runs Android isn't a Surface.

Quote:
On a whim I bought a Surface tablet and I found the "user experience" a bit weird; it's not running a tablet OS like Android or the iPad but a full blown Windows 10 in touch screen mode. Everything works, even tapping tiny buttons or text links but something, to me, feels off about using Windows 10 on a touch screen. I guess I'm too used to a tablet specific ui like Android.
Windows 10 does have tablet mode. On my Surface when I detach the keyboard, it changes automagically. For me, that makes the 'tablet experience' much better.

Though I can see touchscreen Windows isn't for everyone.

Quote:
And then I made a further mistake by buying the Google Chrome notebook. Chrome now runs Android apps so it would make a nice tablet, except that the keyboard is not detachable and doesn't fold out of the way.
You can buy 2-in-1 Chromebooks with detachable keyboards, like the Lenovo Chromebook Duet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I don't like tablet mode at all. I have my Surface set to ignore tablet mode when I remove the keyboard.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #39
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I don't like tablet mode at all. I have my Surface set to ignore tablet mode when I remove the keyboard.
Apache
What does it do in that case? Don't you still have to tap the screen and all that?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I like the standard PC layout of Win 10. The tablet layout is different. Both are still useable with the touchscreen.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #41
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I hope that means Android apps will come to Windows 10.
They will APPEAR on Windows 10. They are actually running on your Android phone. Unlike what is going to happen this Winter when Apple Silicon Macs come out that will run iPhone and iPad apps, natively.

But hey, I'm super happy to see what Msft, Google and Samsung have cooked up here. I look forward to it not being a Samsung exclusive.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #42
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That Duo might be the replacement for my 8" tablet. Depends a bit on the price, naturally...
Is it the fold? I don't see $1399 worth of value for "Android tablet" or even "Android phablet". As a book reader, the fold would not enhance the experience....EXCEPT for fitting in my pocket.

I'm perfectly happy with a phone in my Pocket and an 8" tablet around the house or in my book bag.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #43
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Well, technically it is running Linux, as you said, at least for now
But yes, it's not running what people think of as Linux, which is what RMS would insist that you call GNU/Linux.
https://youtu.be/YksNHk_g_Ec

OMG - there are SO MANY ways Android isn't linux. If you want a Linux phone, there is the Pine Phone for now.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
They will APPEAR on Windows 10. They are actually running on your Android phone.
We'll have to see. So far, the Your Phone app runs SMS and a few other things.

But at one point, Microsoft (apart from Google) was working on basically an emulation layer that would run Android apps within Windows 10. Sort of like why DosBox does with old Windows games.

They called it Project Astoria.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #45
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
We'll have to see. So far, the Your Phone app runs SMS and a few other things.

But at one point, Microsoft (apart from Google) was working on basically an emulation layer that would run Android apps within Windows 10. Sort of like why DosBox does with old Windows games.

They called it Project Astoria.
Gotcha. That's not what this Surface Duo is doing. And frankly, I'd RATHER run a "view" of my Android phone app on my Windows computer than run an emulator. I'm sure there's a lot less resources needed.

I know that running a remote desktop session to my Windows laptop takes a lot less resources than running Windows via an emulator on my Mac.