Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Forma Connector Problem

I upgraded to the latest firmware on my Forma yesterday, with no issues. Today I wanted to go ahead and install the patches, as I always do. However, when I connected the Forma to the USB port, my PC couldn't see it.

The Forma charges OK, but does not recognize the connection, and hence I cannot get into the files on the Forma to complete my patch work.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I wondered if it was related to the new firmware, but my Aura ONE has upgraded without this problem (and using the same connecting cable to the USB). So I think it must be the Forma.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Paul
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My Forma was intermittently recognized by my PC when connected to the front panel USB. I built the PC and the front panel USBs are connected to a little PCB which is connected to the motherboard. It works great when connected to the USB on the back, on the motherboard.

I also stopped using the cable that came with the Forma; it's some sort of new reversible USB. I always felt like it would be easy to damage the USB on the Forma with that cable, it felt "crunchy" when going in.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
My Forma was intermittently recognized by my PC when connected to the front panel USB. I built the PC and the front panel USBs are connected to a little PCB which is connected to the motherboard. It works great when connected to the USB on the back, on the motherboard.

I also stopped using the cable that came with the Forma; it's some sort of new reversible USB. I always felt like it would be easy to damage the USB on the Forma with that cable, it felt "crunchy" when going in.
Yes, I felt the same way about the cable. It seemed to scrape a bit when being inserted. I tried USB ports on the back but no luck. The Aura ONE still connects OK, so I'm assuming something has gone wrong inside the Forma, although it does show it's charging. A major pain, as I'm sure it's out of warranty. I bought it when the Forma was just coming out, so it's two years old.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote