Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #91
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Haha, I knew I should have kept my ideas to myself. Here I was thinking of just a simple txt file listing the sequence/title/author/series.

There's a bunch of complications around trying to do something "pretty". I had a quick look at the existing catalog feature but from what I see I don't think I could reuse it for this. There are too many issues which would have to be addressed (custom sort orders, running inline rather than as a job etc).

There are three options that come to mind for how this list could be managed:

(1) It gets created only when you sync, and deleted afterwards. Most "efficient" but will extend the time to sync to your device. Also possibly also the most difficult to implement, since all generation must happen inline rather than as a background job.

(2) It gets created every time you make a change to your list. Most "inefficient" to do in the foreground and not guaranteed to have finished before you connect your device for a sync if I do it in the background.

(3) It gets created manually on demand. Easiest to implement, but another thing the user has to remember to do before they sync to have the most updated list so probably not realistic.

@CWatkinsNash - why do you want the ability to generate the reading list on the fly?

@Nyn - yes this reading list book would be tied to a specific list you had synced. If you synced multiple lists to your device, there would be multiple reading list books. And yes the only purpose of it is to display a sequence for the books on your device. I did not have in mind to generate an all purpose catalog replacement.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #92
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Haha, I knew I should have kept my ideas to myself. Here I was thinking of just a simple txt file listing the sequence/title/author/series.
LOL No one said we expected you to bend to our will. But when you ask, "What do people think?" you can be certain that, at the very least, Nyn and I will have something to say. And in my case, it will always be waaaay more complicated than anything you were considering.

Quote:
There's a bunch of complications around trying to do something "pretty". I had a quick look at the existing catalog feature but from what I see I don't think I could reuse it for this. There are too many issues which would have to be addressed (custom sort orders, running inline rather than as a job etc).
Well, I didn't mean a copy of the catalog function or using it, I was thinking more along the lines of a stylesheet I could fiddle with. Since a ebook document is being created, I assumed that the formatting would have to be dictated by something. However, if your thoughts were more along the lines of building a text list then automatically converting it to the selected format, then yes, I can see where my thoughts were not even close to what you were considering.

Quote:
(3) It gets created manually on demand. Easiest to implement, but another thing the user has to remember to do before they sync to have the most updated list so probably not realistic.

@CWatkinsNash - why do you want the ability to generate the reading list on the fly?
Because I have (or will have) 3 sync lists (one for each device) and 4 reading lists. With the way I'm doing things, I don't need an ebook list of the sync lists, only the reading lists, and some of them get added to every couple of days. (Yesterday, I got 35 books - all of the reading lists were changed multiple times within a couple of hours.) It makes more sense to generate the lists when I know I'm done fiddling with them. Therefore, option 3 would work best for me personally, but I may be in the minority.

Now, all of that said, it won't be any great hardship if you can't fulfill my every wish with the plugin. I was already prepared to do this manually (catalog + Sigil, which is how I built my custom Dresden Files series catalog).
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #93
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I too would not mind having to do it manually, for many reasons most of which are the same as CW. I am starting to think we are clones of each other. But whatever you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #94
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I too would not mind having to do it manually, for many reasons most of which are the same as CW. I am starting to think we are clones of each other. But whatever you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Nyn
I noticed that too! One of use will post something, the other comes along and says "me too" and adds some details. Usually when you post after me, you add something that I wish I'd included. Sometimes you post, and I don't even bother because it's exactly what I would have said. It's kinda strange, but it's kinda cool.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #95
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Thanks for making this plugin. It just simplified no end my reloading my Kobo after some issues with the newest Kobo Desktop release
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #96
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kiwidude:

I know this may be against what everyone wants, but is there a way to add a setting to add to a field but not to remove the data when the list is uploaded to a folder/device?

Nyn
Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #97
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not currently, no. What are you trying to do?

If (as is my intent shortly) I make it possible for lists to sync only their differences (so you would uncheck the "clear list" button for lists that you just want to sync new additions to your device for) then for such lists the tags you add would not be removed when you sync, since the book would still be on the list.

Would that solve your issue a different way?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #98
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Not currently, no. What are you trying to do?

If (as is my intent shortly) I make it possible for lists to sync only their differences (so you would uncheck the "clear list" button for lists that you just want to sync new additions to your device for) then for such lists the tags you add would not be removed when you sync, since the book would still be on the list.

Would that solve your issue a different way?
Yes I believe that would accomplish what I want to do. Currrently I have 4 lists to sync books to a folder based on who I purchased them from, I would like the list to add that value to a custom column but I do not want it to remove it from the column after the book is synced to the folder.

Nyn
Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #99
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I have went in and customized the plug in setting up which column to update and the value, but when I add a book to the list the column is not populated with the value. Am I doing something wrong?
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #100
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@beckywc - as it is working for others it would appear so

Try running Calibre in debug mode to see if there are any errors being displayed when you add to a list. Also do you have multiple lists - did you perhaps setup the column for a different list to the one you are adding to? And what cucstom column type is it and what value are you trying to put into it?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #101
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do have more than one list. Just three Currently Reading, To Be Read, and Load to Kindle.

The custom column is text, with a fixed set of permitted values.

Edited to added: I ran in Debug mode - no errors.

Last edited by beckywc; 06-18-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #102
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@beckywc - fixed set columns are working for me fine. Are you sure you set the column up on the same list that you are adding books to?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #103
beckywc
Addict

Here is my set up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	example2.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	73000 Click image for larger version

Name:	example1.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	72999

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #104
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

That looks fine, provided those values of "00 Currently Reading" etc are indeed valid values for that column (verified by choosing them from the intellisense dropdown).
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #105
beckywc
Addict

Yes I choose them from the ntellisense dropdown.

Edited to added: It's working now. Don't know why it didn't at first but now it is.

Last edited by beckywc; 06-18-2011 at 04:09 PM.