Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #31
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
So what ? I have enough shops available to bother with shops not respecting the standard. What's more, US only shops

The iPad can not read books from the French eBook shops... It have apps for every proprietary crap, but not the standard....
which standard? pick one. point is unlike music, where the mp3 format has become the standard, book files don't have one. epub? mobi? pdf?

Quote:
Apple ? eBook company ? Did i missed something ? Do apple sells e-readers ?
well. i can read books on my ipad. so it certainly functions as an ereader.

Quote:
Yeah, I had a bad experance with a sony mp3. That's the reason i don't touch iPod/ iPhone / iPad Having to use a software to put stuff on your pmp / tablet / whatever ??? ouch ! Lesson learned. UMS and noting else.
so, you had a bad experience with sony, and now you avoid other companies products? that's kind of silly. i ate some bad food once as a kid. should i have sworn off food forever?

Last edited by scottjl; 07-22-2010 at 11:24 AM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #32
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That isn't what they sell now.
Why complain about a behaviour that they have already corrected?
Well, if I've bought some lrf books because I bought them way back in 2009 before they swicthed to epub, I would like ot be able to read them on other devices. If I have to buy them again, in epub, to reward Sony for finally getting the message that they can't run a closed ebook system, that's not so attractive for me, is it?

And anyway, if Amazon, B&N and others can do it, what's so wonderfl about Sony that we should give them a free pass. If they don't want to do it, that's their choice, but we don't have to like it. An dif we don't like, and they get slammed for it, and they don't like being slammed, well they know what to do.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #33
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Well, if I've bought some lrf books because I bought them way back in 2009 before they swicthed to epub, I would like ot be able to read them on other devices. If I have to buy them again, in epub, to reward Sony for finally getting the message that they can't run a closed ebook system, that's not so attractive for me, is it?
I may be mistaken, but I believe Sony allowed anyone who had bought an lrf format book to redownload it in epub format with no charge.

Quote:
And anyway, if Amazon, B&N and others can do it, what's so wonderfl about Sony that we should give them a free pass. If they don't want to do it, that's their choice, but we don't have to like it. An dif we don't like, and they get slammed for it, and they don't like being slammed, well they know what to do.
... switch to a format which can be used on multiple devices.
Which is what they did!
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #34
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Any books you bought in lrx format from Sony you should now be able to re-download as epub for free. Just go check your Sony account.

There's a huge ammount of simply wrong information in this thread. Like the idea epubs from Sony are tied to their devices. Wrong. They'll work on any adept reader, be it hardware or software. There's also many many ebook stores out there that support adept epubs not just Sony. In fact epub is the defacto stanndard for ebook stores outside of North America. Even in the US plenty of stores and publishers themselves sell epub with adept.

Last edited by deltop; 07-22-2010 at 11:44 AM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #35
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
2 deltop - yes that's correct.

If you own protected LRX - you can redownload new EPUB (ADEPT) for free from Sony.

If you own unprotected LRF - you can convert them in CALIBRE to mostly any format you want ...

Only problem here is to find a good reader for EPUB (ADEPT) for iPAd/iPhone, but I do not think this is a Sony problem - it is more Adobe's problem (owner and creator ePub ADEPT protection).
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #36
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
Any books you bought in lrx format from Sony you should now be able to re-download as epub for free. Just go check your Sony account.

There's a huge ammount of simply wrong information in this thread. Like the idea epubs from Sony are tied to their devices. Wrong. They'll work on any adept reader, be it hardware or software. There's also many many ebook stores out there that support adept epubs not just Sony. In fact epub is the defacto stanndard for ebook stores outside of North America. Even in the US plenty of stores and publishers themselves sell epub with adept.
Speaking of wrong information... "They'll work on any adept reader, be it hardware or software. What "software" are you talking about? Adobe Digital Editions for PC/Mac? Kobo app is an "adept" reader, you cannot read Sony books on it. Same with the borders app. Sony has not put out apps for iDevices, Android, WinMo.... you name it. The others have, so they are stomping Sony. With Amazon having nearly 90% of the ebook market, ePub (unfortunately IMHO) is far from a standard.

And yes, IF they are available, you can download your LRX books you bought in ePub from the Sony store.... I am a former Sony reader owner, and most of the books I owned I was able to do that.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #37
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
EowynCarter said "Yeah, I had a bad experance with a sony mp3. That's the reason i don't touch iPod/ iPhone / iPad Having to use a software to put stuff on your pmp / tablet / whatever ??? ouch ! Lesson learned. UMS and noting else."

Just curious...... If you don't use software to put content on your Archos, how do you get it on? I thought you had to use a computer (thus software, Win or Mac file browsers) to get content on one.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #38
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
Quote:
Just curious...... If you don't use software to put content on your Archos, how do you get it on? I thought you had to use a computer (thus software, Win or Mac file browsers) to get content on one.....
A good one ...
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #39
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Speaking of wrong information... "They'll work on any adept reader, be it hardware or software. What "software" are you talking about? Adobe Digital Editions for PC/Mac? Kobo app is an "adept" reader, you cannot read Sony books on it. Same with the borders app. Sony has not put out apps for iDevices, Android, WinMo.... you name it. The others have, so they are stomping Sony. With Amazon having nearly 90% of the ebook market, ePub (unfortunately IMHO) is far from a standard.
In europe, sony don't sell books and are partnered with regional stores, do the epubs that come with their store definitely not work with other readers then or is it simply that they default to downloading into the sony software rather than ADE?

Maybe the figure of 90% is true for the states (I doubt it is accurate even there) but certainly everywhere else the standard was the combination of epub and adobe drm for quite some time and for the consumer this was a relatively reasonable state of affairs where you had amazon and the kindle format as one option or everyone else were epub and you could shop where you liked quite happily other than when you had geographical restrictions, whereas now you have the kindle alternative needlessly fragmented to the detriment to the consumer and while you may hate sony for various reasons they are not the biggest of the bad guys this time round.

It is all quite strange really, apple's decision to use another drm system doesn't really help them since it would put off people with large existing ebook collections from moving to an ipad and while it locks in some users those will probably not be ones with much history or inclination to buy many books, it doesn't help the consumer since it just confuses the market needlessly and the biggest winner out of it all is probably amazon since it has apps everywhere and thus will seem like the safest option for people looking to buy books in the future.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #40
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Ok, proprietary software other than my os if you want to be pointillous.
And actually, it's neither Win or Mac file browsers. it's the ubuntu file browser

Quote:
Sony has not put out apps for iDevices, Android, WinMo.... you name it. The others have, so they are stomping Sony.
Pocketbooks, Cybooks, sony, iRex, pretty mush every reader but the few you mentioned can read files from sony.

Bought an iPad and want to read iBooks File with a non apple device ? bad luck !

iPad is open because it reads all the proprietary format ?
Everyone, without exception, using the same format. So any book from any shop can be read on any device. That would be openness.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #41
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

And yes, IF they are available, you can download your LRX books you bought in ePub from the Sony store.... I am a former Sony reader owner, and most of the books I owned I was able to do that.
True enough, not every "reader "allows you to read your own epub drm'ed files. I still don't get the point of this thread though. Sony is just another manufacturer and seller of epub/adept hardware readers. The key difference between them and Amazon is that Sony are interested in making money on the hardware whereas Amazon makes their money on the content. Amazon, like B&N and Kobo are book sellers first and foremost and are using their hardware to drive ebook sales. With Sony it's the otherway round.

If anyone should be distributing software for the various platforms that includes adept support it should be Adobe. It's their drm. You don't buy "Sony" ebooks you buy ebooks in the epub format with adept drm. The fact that your buying them from Sony is irrelevant when it comes to software and hardware support. So all the Sony hate is mystifying to me, it's just not relevant to the original posters problem. It's the lack of available reader software with support for adept that's the problem.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #42
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
It is all quite strange really, apple's decision to use another drm system doesn't really help them since it would put off people with large existing ebook collections from moving to an ipad and while it locks in some users those will probably not be ones with much history or inclination to buy many books, it doesn't help the consumer since it just confuses the market needlessly and the biggest winner out of it all is probably amazon since it has apps everywhere and thus will seem like the safest option for people looking to buy books in the future.
i really wish people would stop saying apple used "another" drm system. apple used fairplay. the same drm system they've used for years on their MP3 files and they use it today on apps. there was absolutely no reason for apple to use a 3rd party's DRM system and pay out royalties to another company when they have a perfectly usable DRM system already in house. apple is a business, they made a perfectly rational business decision.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #43
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

Bought an iPad and want to read iBooks File with a non apple device ? bad luck !

iPad is open because it reads all the proprietary format ?
Everyone, without exception, using the same format. So any book from any shop can be read on any device. That would be openness.
I'd like openness, too. Which device do you recommend that offers that now?

I love my iPad as a reader, largely because I can read books from multiple bookstores. I don't buy iBooks, because I don't want my content tethered to any one hardware maker.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'd like openness, too. Which device do you recommend that offers that now?
Any with adept drm

Quote:
I'd like openness, too.
But, tanks to apple, amazon and co, you won't have it. Why are you supporting them ?
If you really care, don't play their game, until they came to their mind and use the same format and drm than everyone. There are many other shops to go to. And no having to start the right app.
You said you don't want to one hardware maker, but you've seriously limited you possibilities. Little device will read all these format, lots of device read adept ePub. That's any ePub but b&n and apple's. And maybe kobo ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-22-2010 at 03:16 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #45
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Any with adept drm

But, tanks to apple, amazon and co, you won't have it. Why are you supporting them ?
If you really care, don't play their game, until they came to their mind and use the same format and drm than everyone. There are many other shops to go to. And no having to start the right app.
You said you don't want to one hardware maker, but you've seriously limited you possibilities. Little device will read all these format, lots of device read adept ePub. That's any ePub but b&n and apple's. And maybe kobo ?
I use Apple and Amazon now because they serve me best. If another company can offer me more openness, I will buy from it. I want to read now, not in some future time that probably will not arrive, even if I don't buy from Apple and Amazon. I get that you have a philosophical stance against DRM. My interest is purely practical and based on ease of use for me now. Are you saying that if I buy a Kobo, I will have access to all major booksellers? Because that's what I want now. I'm not technical and want to read without converting and such.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote