Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Historical Item Question: Candle Caps?

Got a question for everyone. I'm doing some research into candles (the old school type they used ages ago) and I'm trying to find the name for the old style metal caps that went on top of candles to keep them from dripping and to extend their burn time. They are most often associated with candles in churches, but were used pretty much everywhere. They are the predecessor of mechanical candles.

They look something akin to an upside down metal cap with a hole in the bottom. (Well, being upside down it's technically the top) Some are made of brass, some silver, and some are just plain old iron. They sit on top and as the candle burns down, they follow it down until it burns itself out. We used to have brass ones at our old church that were used on top of the Advent candles. They were used by middle to upper class households for several centuries until mechanical candles were invented.

Anyone know the name of them? They're not candle caps (already searched for that), and they're not toppers (searched for that too), so I'm not sure what their name is.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Uh...

Uh....I'll go out on a limb here and say "candle caps".

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Candle follower.

I'm not sure I should be happy I knew that, or scared.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Thanks World Walker. Someone else said that earlier today on Facebook and it turns out that's exactly what I was looking for. It's funny too, as I should know that name, given that we used them in Church when I was growing up. They're really an interesting piece of history you should research sometime. They're such a simple invention, and yet so darned useful.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote