Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How fast can you tear through a book?
People still read? I'm all about the audiobooks 1 2.56%
Less than 200 wpm 2 5.13%
200 - 350 wpm 7 17.95%
350 - 500wpm 13 33.33%
500 - 650 wpm 5 12.82%
650 - 850 wpm 5 12.82%
Googol wpm 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Most speed reading books I've seen say that the average reader reads between 150-250wpm. For study/note taking reading it drops down to about 50wpm. The best reading speed that you can achieve while comprehending complex material (ie trying to speed read a physics book with no background in physics) is ~250-350wpm. I think speed reading goes with the belief that you don't really need to read every word to understand sentences just how most people don't read every letter to read a word, you just know what it is. It similar to that jumbled paragraph:
Quote:
Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
You can still read it at a fairly fast pace because the words are words that you know, when you are dealing with new material like studying an area you don't have an expertise in your reading speed needs to drop a lot to connect what is being read. If that sentence was describing DNA structure in detail or ingredients in your favorite candy it'd be harder to understand
Old 07-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #32
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Another interesting piece on how we read, someone did a report on how we recognize words. This is probably in the same realm as speed reading I would suppose where instead of letter recognition you do something like sentence recognition and you don't need to read words like "the", "a", "that", and other common words to understand what a sentence is trying to convey

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...cognition.aspx
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #33
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
I clocked in at 335, but then again, I am at work, and this guy behind me is on a conference call, so concentration is tough. I would assume I'm more at 350. But either way, I just always thought I read at an average pace.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #34
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I agree that most grammatically correct sentences in english are littered with unnecessary words. If you look at a piece of latin prose and then the english translation, it can take four lines to translate one line of latin prose. English has evolved in a different direction the sparse latin syntax. I personally like the cluttered english language as I enjoy cadences and complexity of well-written english.

However when reading for purely utilitarian reasons I will often skim, but I never consider that I have actually read something when I use speed-reading techniques.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #35
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I had no idea, so I googled a site with a free test. I ended up at readingsoft.com (I think?) and did the reading and comprehension test. I got 650wpm and 91% accuracy for comprehension. Not sure how accurate that is, but I do know I'm a fast reader. I tend to miss some details though.
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #36
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
How very interesting. I'd never bothered with measuring my reading speed before. I came in at 366 with 73% comprehension - but the text content didn't interest me at all.
I would say that I've got very good speed-reading (speed-skimming?) techniques for technical stuff that I need (ripping the guts out of software manuals) but I deliberately slow down for books I read for enjoyment, and will often re-read a paragraph several times, either to extract the full nuance (fiction) or to gain full understanding. I wonder, what are the comparable figures for other languages? Say French and German, with very different linguistic structures. How about languages outside the Indo-European family?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #37
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I had no idea what my reading speed was, so I did the same as GraceKrispy and googled a test. Result: 425 WPM. I guess I am faster reading books in German. I also think it depends on what you are reading: a thriller (I'm quite sure I'm reading faster when it's getting more and more suspenseful) or poems (I'm sure I'm reading much slower then) .....
Old 07-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #38
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm slow. below 200 wpm. I like to take my time with a book and read every letter and fall into the world like I'm standing beside them.

I read at the pace I think, the pace I type, I routinely talk to myself in my head to get my actual thoughts on a subject worked out. I would like to read faster, and I have tried speed reading software. Its never really worked for me, but perhaps I might try again.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #39
junkyardwillie
Addict

I usually read in my head (subvocalize) but at some point when I'm reading a fiction book I start to get really into the story and create scenes for what is going on for instance if they are in a garage I feel like I can see it if its described well so I don't think I read in my head at that point because it would seem to be too many things going on at once. I wish I could figure out how I actually do that so I could do it all the time because before I know it I'm 40 or so pages into the book so I'm definitely reading faster then but if something doesn't grab my attention I can't get in-the-zone.

Its always fun when they make a movie out of a book I read because I watch it and think "That's so not [insert characters name]". My worst experience with that was Along Came A Spider, Morgan Friedman is not Alex Cross in any world, I had to turn the movie off after 30 minutes or so it was just so unbelievable to me (I don't think the movie got great reviews anyway so I dont think I missed much, I could be wrong though)
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #40
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
My worst experience with that was Along Came A Spider, Morgan Friedman is not Alex Cross in any world, I had to turn the movie off after 30 minutes or so it was just so unbelievable to me (I don't think the movie got great reviews anyway so I dont think I missed much, I could be wrong though)
Bone Collector did it for me......Denzeil Washington as the lead when it was (Claerly) written for (then very much alive) Christopher Reeve.
Or Maybe even "DareDevil" wif Mr. Afleck......as along time fan of the 'devil, not a true match for my tastes and totaly off topic, my apologies!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 AM   #41
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I'm reading roughly 500-600 wpm in english, and more then 800wpm in german (exactly how many depends on the subject, printing quality, etc, top at around 1.000).
Old 10-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thread closed. New discussion should be in the new thread.
Closed Thread