Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
yatesco
yatesco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Recommendation please for a good document reader (and annotator)

Hi all

(First, being transparent; I have researched iAnnotate and readdleDocs (i.e. I haven't tried them). I have downloaded (and love!) GoodReader)

I want to find a decent document reader and it must have the following:

- tabbed interface so multiple documents can be opened at the same time (or at the very least a quickly accessible 'most recent' list)
- annotation and highlighting for all textual documents (PDF or Office)
- synchronisation with a cloud service (like DropBox)
- search across all documents for name, content or hand made notes

To put it another way, I want readdleDocs off-line synchronisation capability and cross-document searching, goodreaders *reading* interface (not its initial cluttered screen) and iAnnotate's tabs

Is there such a beast?
yatesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesco View Post
Hi all

(First, being transparent; I have researched iAnnotate and readdleDocs (i.e. I haven't tried them). I have downloaded (and love!) GoodReader)

I want to find a decent document reader and it must have the following:

- tabbed interface so multiple documents can be opened at the same time (or at the very least a quickly accessible 'most recent' list)
- annotation and highlighting for all textual documents (PDF or Office)
- synchronisation with a cloud service (like DropBox)
- search across all documents for name, content or hand made notes

To put it another way, I want readdleDocs off-line synchronisation capability and cross-document searching, goodreaders *reading* interface (not its initial cluttered screen) and iAnnotate's tabs

Is there such a beast?
I like Pages ($9.99 at the Apple App Store - you must have the latest firmware version to run it). It doesn't have a tabbed interface, but you can quickly switch between documents and export them via iTunes sync or e-mail them to yourself in various formats (including .doc). You can edit the text and add formatting such as bold and italics, but any annotation as far as I can see would have to be inserted into the text itself. It's not nearly as functional as MS Office, but it gets the job done. You might also consider a physical keyboard. The iPad's virtual keyboard is nice, but it lacks up/down/back/forward arrows. I have Apple's iPad Keyboard dock, but they also sell a wireless model if you prefer for about the same price.

For cloud sync, I think you need to subscribe to MobileMe. I have no idea of the price, and all their website says is "Sign up for a free trial." That could be code for "You don't want to know!"

Pages doesn't do cross-document searching.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert