Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #16
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinfhd View Post
Also once they announce the new ipad. Can u jump on the list for one. And does it really take three months to get It? That seems like a long time. Is it better to get the ipad through best buy or an apple STORE? Sorry. Don't know why it capitalizes my words before a question mark.
If you want one, buy one. Otherwise, you'll always be waiting for the next thing to come out.

A few days before it went on sale, you could preorder from Apple but even pre-ordering, some folks still had to wait a few weeks after release date to get it. It makes no difference whether you buy at Apple or BestBuy.

Personally, I find the Apple employees more pleasant than the employees at our local BestBuy.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #17
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinfhd View Post
I might not be able to wait. I could really use it now. I just hope it doesn't have better screen resolution, that would make me sad. The face time is not important to me. Flash would be nice though. Ohh, I am so torn. We are going to the apple store tonight just to check it out.
If Flash is important to you then the iPad is the wrong device. It's unlikely that the iPad will ever have Flash.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My advice is to wait. The thing is that Apple products are completely unlike other products in terms of pricing.

Let's say a given unit comes out at $499. You will see that product hold its $499 price until the day it is replaced. Most consumer electronics won't hold its price for an entire year. The day the Apple product comes out it is usually an extremely good value. By one year later, you will see other stuff catching up or surpassing it because its price point hasn't changed. However, about at the one-year mark another great value will be announced.

We are now about nine months into the iPad's life cycle and there hasn't been any price changes, nor do I expect any. However, you are paying the same price for nine month old tech. It is a little different in the iPad case, because there aren't any true competitors out yet (I personally don't think the Samsung counts). But I still think I would wait for three more months.

On the other hand, I do have a different opinion on some of the other suggestions here. I do not think we will see any announcement at MacWorld. The iPhone 4 was announced in June, not at MacWorld. The iPad was announced at the end of January for April availability, but I think the situation was unique: There wasn't an existing iPad model. See, Apple doesn't want to cannibalize sales of the old stuff, so the approach will be more like the iPhone approach with an announcement two to three weeks before the new release.

As to new features, who knows. Jobs and company rarely let out features early and the guessing game gets out of control. Most of what gets thrown about in the media doesn't come true. You should have seen the years of guessing about the immediate release of a tablet device -- the ipad came out last year, but there were expectations every year since the Newton was killed. Likewise, the guessing about a Verizon iPhone -- the media expected it 'next month' ever since the first one was released. How about a camera on the iPod Touch. It was expected over a year ago, but it just came out this year.

I can't really tell you what they will choose to do with the iPad, but I can forecast a couple of simple things. 1) It will be thinner and lighter -- they always seem to beat the previous numbers here. 2) It will probably have more memory. I don't know what kind. I would be surprised if it doesn't increase its DRAM from 256. 3) I would be surprised if it doesn't have a faster processor.

It could have a front facing camera (I hope so). It might have a rear facing camera, but it's size makes it a bit awkward as a picture taker. I personally doubt it'll have a retina display, but I could very well be wrong on this. Many folks expect multiple sizes (7 inch and 10 inch), but I don't really know either way.

So, my crystal ball really isn't that good. However, my forecast is an April announcement for a slimmer, lighter, faster iPad for about the same price as the current one (or a little cheaper). Your guess is as good as mine whether it will have a: front camera, rear camera, retina display, 7-inch version or verizon capable (the current verizon version is a hack, not built-in).
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote