Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Kobo already has a plastic-substrate device, and colour LEDs (ok not all colours, but adjustable-temperature.. I'm not interested in a purple or green reading page, but some people might be)

"page turning from the bezel" -> do you mean page turn buttons? They have those too.

I couldn't be less interested in a foldable device, but mileage varies!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #32
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I mainly wish better performance in general, more uniform front light at a contained price.
I don't even wait for color ebook readers anymore.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

"page turning from the bezel" -> do you mean page turn buttons? They have those too.

Like the Kindle Voyage had. I believe they called it haptic buttons.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #34
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Those and the excellent display are the reasons I still enjoy my Voyage. The haptic buttons are outstanding, IMHO.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:34 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Kobo already has a plastic-substrate device, and colour LEDs (ok not all colours, but adjustable-temperature.. I'm not interested in a purple or green reading page, but some people might be)
You can actually do that on the Aura ONE. Setting it to green was quite, unsettling. It didn't last long.
Quote:
The Voyage had some sort of touch sensitive area rather than the physical buttons. I don't remember seeing a Voyage, so I don't know what they were like.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 02:51 AM   #36
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:

I didn’t realize that the Voyage had those. Haptic buttons as opposed to physical ones sounds like a great idea. I suppose Amazon removed them because of cost and redundancy with an already touch sensitive display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:58 AM   #37
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not a Kindle Killer because it's a niche market, but you were on the right track with your "unrealistic" suggestion: accessibility features. Possibly via Bluetooth, pairing to an optional large hand switch, foot switch, sip/puff interface, and/or Voiceover integration or equivalent, and/or other access devices (including eye-glance operated devices). And a charger-cable plug that doesn't require perfect coordination and eyesight.

Those are great ideas. Accessibility is a good niche to pursue because it isn’t being met by other eReaders, and doing it via Bluetooth is a great way to implement such support.

Your last suggestion is a pipe dream, though. Haha Don’t mention wanting a USB-C jack on your Kobo. It’ll start a new USB interface flame war here. 😅 (Secretly, I completely agree with you. I dislike miniUSB)

But what about wireless charging? Is there an ereader that already features it? Most modern phones now support it. Why not a Kobo?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #38
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Plastic substrate. Foldable.

eInk already offers bendable displays. Why not a foldable eReader? Would you like to see a 6” eReader that folds into 3” and fits in your pocket, or a 6” ereader that expands to offer two 300dpi pages?

Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
eInk already offers bendable displays. Why not a foldable eReader? Would you like to see a 6” eReader that folds into 3” and fits in your pocket, or a 6” ereader that expands to offer two 300dpi pages?

I would like a plastic substrate for the durability; we could forego all the comments of "you have to get a cover".

Personally, I'm not as interested in a foldable reader, or a reader that displays 2 pages at once.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I would want a plastic substrate on a 6" reader.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #41
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
A kobo running Android and a 8 cores CPU
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I would like a plastic substrate for the durability; we could forego all the comments of "you have to get a cover".
A cover is not just for protection. A cover also makes the Reader easier to hold and you sleep/wake by closing/opening the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would like Kobo to use a faster CPU and RMSDK 11 (or whatever the latest version is).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #44
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’d like to get back two things they eliminated: a drop-down menu accessible from within a book and kepub page-numbering that relates to the text and not to the screen. The loss of these make my reading experience noticeably worse. I can’t say they’re Kindle killers, though.
I'm with you on the page numbering. Since I know some people like the current per-screen numbering (I'm sure you remember the long thread we had arguing about it!), ideally Kobo would offer both options and we could choose the system we prefer.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #45
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would like Kobo to use a faster CPU and RMSDK 11 (or whatever the latest version is).
Yeah, agree.
More RAM would be great too; I think it's time to move away from 512mb...
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote