Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Reading Life Activity Awards

I'm never going to get all 20 because I don't have a Facebook account, but two of the awards puzzle me: One says "login to your Kobo account, or create one", which seems odd given that if I weren't logged in to my account my purchased books would not be showing up.

The other puzzle is the "witching hour" award. I never got this one on my H2O2 either, despite reading often between 23:30 and 01:30 - exactly when is the "award-winning" time?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I actually created a Facebook account just to get the award when I got my first Kobo reader. Then I discovered how bugged some awards were, even though you completed the requirements, they wouldn't be triggered. And if you ever had to do a factory restore, it all was lost and you had to start over.

There might now be ways to save the awards after a factory restore, but that quickly took the fun out of them for me and made them an annoyance, I turned them off and never looked at them again.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The following is in the database:

Quote:
Something wicked this way comes... you read five times during the Witching Hour: 12am - 1am.
For the "Book Lover", I don't know. I have it on my older devices. But not the Clara HD or Libra H2O. It sort of made sense with the firmware that came on the Touch (v1.9.x). At that time, you could skip the sign in. So, doing it later meant you would get the award. Since, I think, firmware 2.0, you had to sign to get the device working. I suppose something in the login in the recent firmware doesn't trigger the appropriate event.

Edit: The details I can see for this are:

In the "Achievement" table, this has id of "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000001001".

The id is used in the "Rules" table. The entry for that says it is an "EventCount" for "EventType" 35 or 36.

These are in the "EventType" table. On the Clara HD, I only have event 36 which has first occurrence of "2013-04-18T07:03:47.000", last occurrence of "2016-09-22T12:54:12.000" and a count of 21. I don't know if it is the lack of event 35, or that it hasn't been recorded on this device.

For the Witching Hour, the event type is 1001. I don't see any of these in my databases. They might have turned this off or broken it somewhere.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-11-2020 at 10:59 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Thank you both! I shall ignore them all, except for the juggernaut, which has strengthened my feeling that's time for another Monte Cristo re-read.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
elpistola
elpistola began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
There might now be ways to save the awards after a factory restore, but that quickly took the fun out of them for me and made them an annoyance, I turned them off and never looked at them again.
Is there a way to turn them off/have them not show? I haven't seen a tweak in nay of the threads mentioning it, or maybe i missed it.
elpistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpistola View Post
Is there a way to turn them off/have them not show? I haven't seen a tweak in nay of the threads mentioning it, or maybe i missed it.
I don't know if there is a patch. But, turning on the Parental Controls in the settings. This hides a lot of things including the Awards. But, as of firmware 4.23.x, the rearrangements of the menus means the Awards are a lot less noticeable.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpistola View Post
Back when the home screen was the messy tiles, there was a setting under Reading Settings, on Page 2 there was a heading for Stats and Awards, Track reading activity that you could uncheck to stop them. Then when you went to check on Awards under Extras, no badges showed at all, it was just blank except for the message that you're not tracking reading activity.

I just assumed that setting carried over to the newer firmware with the new home screen, but I can't find it anywhere. Nor can I even find a way to access awards to view them. But I patch and remove the 3rd bottom row on the home screen, and also the unused items in the main Home button so it only shows Home, My Books, My Collections, Settings and Help (and I'd removed Help if there was a patch for it, and rename Books and Collections to drop that ridiculous "My"). Maybe viewing awards is in one of those locations?

Edit: I also read just about only epub, maybe awards is no longer available for epubs?

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-12-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Back when the home screen was the messy tiles, there was a setting under Reading Settings, on Page 2 there was a heading for Stats and Awards, Track reading activity that you could uncheck to stop them. Then when you went to check on Awards under Extras, no badges showed at all, it was just blank except for the message that you're not tracking reading activity.

I just assumed that setting carried over to the newer firmware with the new home screen, but I can't find it anywhere.
The option you are thinking about is on the "Energy saving and privacy" page. Somewhere along the way, it stopped turning off the display of Stats and Awards. Before that, even when it was off, it still did the tracking in the background and database. It just didn't display it, or send anything to Kobo.
Quote:
Nor can I even find a way to access awards to view them. But I patch and remove the 3rd bottom row on the home screen, and also the unused items in the main Home button so it only shows Home, My Books, My Collections, Settings and Help (and I'd removed Help if there was a patch for it, and rename Books and Collections to drop that ridiculous "My"). Maybe viewing awards is in one of those locations?

Edit: I also read just about only epub, maybe awards is no longer available for epubs?
I read a mix of epubs, sideloaded kepub and purchased kepubs. The events needed for the Awards are recorded for all types. And the one I mentioned as missing is missing for all formats.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:07 AM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The option you are thinking about is on the "Energy saving and privacy" page. Somewhere along the way, it stopped turning off the display of Stats and Awards. Before that, even when it was off, it still did the tracking in the background and database. It just didn't display it, or send anything to Kobo.
Back in 2010 or so when the Kobo app came out for the iPad, I loved the awards. I still have a very large collection of them on my iPad and iPhone. However, as others have pointed out, once you do a factory reset on a Kobo device, you have to mostly start over. This just happened to me yesterday. I keep tabs on them out of nostalgia, but none of the time sensitive events are triggering anymore. You once mentioned to me and others in the original awards thread (i think) that we could edit a database to enable the missing awards? Do you recall which database you were referring to?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know if there is a patch
That would be simple enough to create if needed.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #11
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
How do you even log into your Facebook???
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
How do you even log into your Facebook???
Facebook was removed two or three years ago. At the time, there was an entry in the Accounts page of the settings for it. You might be able to enable it by adding "FacebookShare=true" into the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file. That worked when Facebook was first removed but I don't know if it still does. Like @Uncle Robin, I do not have a Facebook account.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #13
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Me neither. I was just curious why they still have the badge. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a patch for that?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:55 PM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I recently had to reset my Kobo after a botched experiment and now my awards are reset. Again. LOL I was wondering which file the rewards info is saved to. I'd like to restore it from a previous backup.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I recently had to reset my Kobo after a botched experiment and now my awards are reset. Again. LOL I was wondering which file the rewards info is saved to. I'd like to restore it from a previous backup.
They are in the database in the table "Achievement". Setting the column "PercentComplete" to 100 is probably enough to mark them as achieved. But, you might need to experiment a little.