Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Overdrive quirk

I had a book that was due this past Sunday and since I was over 200 pages from the finish, I resigned myself to having to put myself back on the waiting list for it.

Except I've been reading it since Sunday. I have not powered down the Nook nor hooked it up to ADE nor closed out the book. Is this just a one time glitch or can books be kept past the due date if I continue to do all of the 3 things listed? It's not ideal of course because I want to access other reading materials but on the other hand, I really want to finish this book!
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
One of a few things can happen to cause this.

Do you use Calibre with third party made DRM stripping plugins installed and enabled? If so, then as soon as you put the book in to Calibre, the plugin strips the DRM before Calibre even gets it.

What does the time on the nook show? It could be that the nook thinks that the time and date are different than what they actually are.

It could be that there is some other glitch, it still has the book in memory, and as soon as you reboot or open another book it will no longer be able to access the over due book.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
On my Sony, even if I leave the book open, if it's expired, I lose access. Might just be a quirk specific to the Nook.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On my Sony, even if I leave the book open, if it's expired, I lose access. Might just be a quirk specific to the Nook.
Yep, that's happened with other library books I've had except I can't remember if I closed them.

The date/time for the e-reader is correct. And though I use Calibre to fetch news and blog sites I do not use it for anything else. I haven't any idea about stripping DRM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
It could be that there is some other glitch, it still has the book in memory, and as soon as you reboot or open another book it will no longer be able to access the over due book.
This is my hunch but I won't test it until I finish the book
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
When I had my Kobo, I could usually continue reading the book past the expiration date so long as I didn't close the book or turn off the device. Since getting my Nook I haven't been in a situation where I was reading a book close to the expiration date, so I don't know if it's possible to do on that.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
This used to be the method that I used on my 3G Nook, but then it appeared that loophole was fixed.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
On my Sony 300 if I leave a library book open and it expires, I can continue to read it provided I don't close the book, shut down the device, or connect it to my computer. I can also continue to read open but expired library books on my computer in ADE provided I don't close the book or program.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote