Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #31
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
While I have multiple devices...I think it's interesting that I have zero eReaders (eInk). At first they were so expensive and I had an iPhone and then an iPad. I listened to and debated with all the "lcd hurts your eyes" folks, but I knew that -I- could read comfortably for hours with no more eye strain than reading anything for hours.

Then the eInk prices plummeted. For sure, I thought I'd have bought one already. But I never have because I STILL read just fine on my (now larger) iPhone, iPad and Kindle Fire tablets.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
While I have multiple devices...I think it's interesting that I have zero eReaders (eInk). At first they were so expensive and I had an iPhone and then an iPad. I listened to and debated with all the "lcd hurts your eyes" folks, but I knew that -I- could read comfortably for hours with no more eye strain than reading anything for hours.

Then the eInk prices plummeted. For sure, I thought I'd have bought one already. But I never have because I STILL read just fine on my (now larger) iPhone, iPad and Kindle Fire tablets.
LCD is only one of the reasons I use e-ink. Phone screens are too small for me to read novels comfortably (I've tried), tablets are too heavy (I like to read one-handed). Well, possibly a 7'' tablet wouldn't be too heavy, but it would be pointless for most anything else I would want to do on a tablet. Nothing beats the e-ink reading experience for me personally.

To each his own.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have my old Nook STwG with the broken screen (I really need to recycle it) and a Nook STwG I bought as a replacement that has some of the infamous 'screen tears' the STwG was prone to. I also have an old Sony 505 with a neat lighted case that someone gave me but I never used.

The only reader I actively use is my Kobo Aura.

I don't count tablets and phones as I don't read anything on them but comics. But for completeness sake, I have a Lenovo Tab 2 Plus, a nuVision Windows 10 tablet I bought as an experiment and a Nexus 6.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #34
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I have multiple eINK devices but no "lighted" eink devices or whatever they're called. One reason is that I'm always close to a light source and if it's dark or whatever I get my lcd tablet to read just fine. I've read that non lighted ereaders have crisper screens/darker font so getting a lighted screen just doesn't make sense. Plus they are some threads where people get obsessed over dots/points of light on screen or if the light is even so that's just something I just don't need to deal with right now. Maybe when eink devices come out with colored fonts I'll get a lighted eink reader but for now I'll stick with my kindle basic, kindle keyboard, sony prs t-1, kindle fire 7 tablets (2), Ipad, iphone, 2 laptops, 2 generic non contract phones, etc. That doesn't mean I wasn't tempted during black friday to get a kindle paperwhite but I've got bills to pay you know?
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I have multiple eINK devices but no "lighted" eink devices or whatever they're called. One reason is that I'm always close to a light source and if it's dark or whatever I get my lcd tablet to read just fine. I've read that non lighted ereaders have crisper screens/darker font so getting a lighted screen just doesn't make sense. Plus they are some threads where people get obsessed over dots/points of light on screen or if the light is even so that's just something I just don't need to deal with right now. Maybe when eink devices come out with colored fonts I'll get a lighted eink reader but for now I'll stick with my kindle basic, kindle keyboard, sony prs t-1, kindle fire 7 tablets (2), Ipad, iphone, 2 laptops, 2 generic non contract phones, etc. That doesn't mean I wasn't tempted during black friday to get a kindle paperwhite but I've got bills to pay you know?
Bill doesn't need paid.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I've read that non lighted ereaders have crisper screens/darker font so getting a lighted screen just doesn't make sense.
That might have been true once, when the first Paperwhite came out. When I look at any of my frontlit Kindles (particularly the Voyage, but the Oases too) side-by-side with any of my Basic Kindles, there is not the slightest doubt that the lit screens look much nicer, crisper, their fonts are darker and more contrasty. By the way, I always read under a light source too, that's not why I got a lighted Kindle in the first place. I bought my first frontlit Kindle (the Voyage) because all the reviews agreed it had the darkest fonts and the best contrast of all Kindles, and I was not disappointed. Yes, the frontlight is uneven, but that's only visible in the dark, not under a lamp or in the daylight.

Anyway, I said all this not to convince you to get a lighted Kindle, just to dispel the still persistent misconception that the old unlit readers are better than the modern frontlit ones. They're not. Though there will probably always be some people who prefer them over the newer ones. As for me, I read happily on my unlit Basics for years. After getting a Voyage, I could not use an unlit Kindle anymore. The screen just looked too poor in comparison.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #37
TheDreamer
TheDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle: Touch, Touch/3G, 8th Gen, Oasis
Hmmm, I might have a few.... Let's see... Kindle 2, Kindle PW1+3G, Kindle PW2+Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX... Fire, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HDX, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD 6... though not using the last one as a reader... and the original Fire isn't usable at the moment... needs a new battery. I did replace the battery in my Kindle DX recently. a few small bits (buttons) slipped out of my fingers, so I had to scare up some replacements from eBay to finish the reassembly. I blame my Ataxia. Though not as terrifying as me taking a household drill to my remove a striped screw that was in the way of replacing the wifi card in an older Mac to get Continuity support....

Meanwhile....there are my more recent ereaders....Kobo Aura One and Onyx Boox Max Carta.

Wish I had held out for the Onyx Boox Max Carta 2...

Think I'll wait until color e-ink becomes more widely available before I jump on another ereader.... Though I was tempted to get the Fire HD 10 recently.... (until I got to comparing specs against my HDX 8.9...)

Oh, and did also contemplate the Kindle with Bluetooth... as my eyesight is goes, still can't get into hearing books...

The Dreamer.
TheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #38
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post

Oh, and did also contemplate the Kindle with Bluetooth... as my eyesight is goes, still can't get into hearing books...

The Dreamer.
FWIW, the Fires all work well for text-to-speech. If you bought the book from Amazon, it will let you easily switch from your kindle to your Fire for text to speech. For those you didn't buy from Amazon, of course, the Kindle basic (with text to speech) works well and is low cost.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #39
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That might have been true once, when the first Paperwhite came out. When I look at any of my frontlit Kindles (particularly the Voyage, but the Oases too) side-by-side with any of my Basic Kindles, there is not the slightest doubt that the lit screens look much nicer, crisper, their fonts are darker and more contrasty. By the way, I always read under a light source too, that's not why I got a lighted Kindle in the first place. I bought my first frontlit Kindle (the Voyage) because all the reviews agreed it had the darkest fonts and the best contrast of all Kindles, and I was not disappointed. Yes, the frontlight is uneven, but that's only visible in the dark, not under a lamp or in the daylight.

Anyway, I said all this not to convince you to get a lighted Kindle, just to dispel the still persistent misconception that the old unlit readers are better than the modern frontlit ones. They're not. Though there will probably always be some people who prefer them over the newer ones. As for me, I read happily on my unlit Basics for years. After getting a Voyage, I could not use an unlit Kindle anymore. The screen just looked too poor in comparison.
It seems an argument I told myself to prevent impulse buying a paperwhite was not true. Still, I would prefer buying a nonlit kindle if it ever had a higher resolution (300 ppi) like it's paperwhite counterpart since it'd probably have darker font/crispier resolution. Anyway, that's what I'm now telling myself to prevent purchasing a paperwhite . . .
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #40
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Kobo Aura H2O, and reMarkable - that's two for me.

For pure reading, and even though I only rarely use it, I wouldn't go for an ereader without some form of lighting. Being able to just turn it on when I'm going to read in low light is a huge plus - either I'm reading while outside at night, or I'm reading in bed while my wife is sleeping, or whatever; it's just a huge plus whenever it's useful. I keep the light on a low setting, not just to save battery power - I'm more comfortable this way.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
It seems an argument I told myself to prevent impulse buying a paperwhite was not true. Still, I would prefer buying a nonlit kindle if it ever had a higher resolution (300 ppi) like it's paperwhite counterpart since it'd probably have darker font/crispier resolution. Anyway, that's what I'm now telling myself to prevent purchasing a paperwhite . . .
Turning on the light, even in a brightly lit room increases the contrast. That's why Kindle recommends using a high setting in a bright area. Not that I'm trying to chip away at your reasons for not buying another device...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #42
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I agree with Zodwallop, at least in principle. I keep my Kindle light set at about 11 or 12 and I rarely change it, indoors our out. I don't read in the dark.

If there's any loss of sharpness, and I doubt there is these days but I don't really know, it's more than made up by the increase of contrast with a lighted reader.

The Paperwhite is well named. The background is as white as the paper in a printed book, or whiter. Turning the light up too high begins to lighten the text but it has to get pretty high for that to happen. In normal use there's a large increase in contrast.

I began with the Kindle 3 and then the Kindle 4 and Kindle 5 before I got a Paperwhite. Each was a small improvement, enough to satisfy me but not enough to impress me. when I got the Paperwhite I was impressed. I'd no more read on an unlit reader today than I'd grow my own food.

I do have an unlit reader; a Kobo Mini. In terms of size and convenience it's nearly perfect for me. If it had a light it would be my favorite reader. It was given to me by someone in another forum who no longer wanted it to give to someone in my retirement home. Since then a few people have bought Kindles or Kobos with lights rather than take the free Kobo Mini.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #43
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have all of my ebook readers -- Sony PRS-505, Kindle K3 Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1 -- and I have two tablets that I use exclusively for reading -- iPad (1st Generation) and Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 7" -- but I do most of my reading in using Google Play and the Kindle Cloud Reader on my computer.

I also have a HP Stream 7 and NOOK HD+ tablets, but the Windows apps were never reliable and B&N tablet no longer recognizes the books from my NOOK library. I have all the relevant apps on my iPhone, but I rarely use it for reading since I bought the not-much-larger 7" tablet specifically to keep books with me wherever I am.

So I think my answer to the question is "yes", although I mostly use a computer or tablet, rather than a dedicated ebook reader, for my reading.

I'm looking hard at the Kobo One, but since it is not much bigger than my 7" tablet (and I think the screen on that could be bigger), I haven't bought one yet. I'm looking at the Kindle Oasis too, but I think I really want an 8"-9" reader and I don't think those are in anyone's future product line.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I've got one front-lit eReader (Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight) but my eyes like the nonlit eReaders better. I'm not giving up on trying front-lit eReaders (the Kobo Glo didn't work out, but I'm thinking of trying out a Nook Glowlight 3) but I think I would prefer a 300 ppi nonlit reader – though, I'm pretty sure, there's never going to be one. My lighted cases make the Kindle Basic and Touch just as convenient as front-lit eReaders (pick it up and go) and it's really not hard to carry my M-Edge E-Luminator light for the others.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #45
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Three e-ink Kindles for me: a Paperwhite 2, which I keep at my office for lunchtime reading; a Voyage, which I read when I'm downstairs at my house or take with me when I travel; and "my precious," an Oasis 2, which stays on my bedside table for reading at night.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote