Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #16
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i think that sony and kobo are the only readers that support RTF natively.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i think that sony and kobo are the only readers that support RTF natively.
There are others but since Send to Kindle autoconverts fine it doesn't trouble me.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The format that gets me is PDF (Personal Document Format) which was never intended as an ebook format. It's supposed to be solely for sending Documents through email like in the case of you working for a company in California that has an office in New York for example (or vice versa). That way the documents get to the other office quickly with no loss of any of the data. Some PDF files read well enough on Kindle but others are a real burden to read, so I usually use pdf converter or Calibre to convert them if I want them on my Kindle reader or Tablet (i.e. Kindle Fire).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
RTF is a very complex, recursive format...
Actually it's just ascii with a bunch of formatting marks embedded. It's really simple.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The format that gets me is PDF (Personal Document Format) which was never intended as an ebook form
Minor nit. The P stands for Portable not Personal. So Portable Document Format.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit. The P stands for Portable not Personal. So Portable Document Format.
Yep, minor slip on my part. Of course I wager that a lot of people have had that same slip in the past and will yet in the future.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #22
GalaxyMan
GalaxyMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
The latest version of what? What error message? How do you convert them and why?
My apologies for not being more informative.

I'm using calibre 3.27 to convert the files. I'm converting to AZW3 because that's what my Kindle seems to like the best. It certainly doesn't display RTF files. I get error messages about this or that marker missing in the file. My workaround is to convert them to PDF. Calibre then has no problem converting the PDF to AZW3.

I agree with the poster that it's far more fun to answer based upon speculation.

Last edited by GalaxyMan; 07-20-2018 at 12:54 AM.
GalaxyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #23
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyMan View Post
...I get error messages about this or that marker missing in the file...
Sounds like the RTFs are faulty. Perhaps the program that created them is not following the spec well.

Another possible workaround, would be to open them in a good text editor that supports RTF (Windows' Wordpad, ...) and then resave them using a different filename. You may need to "touch" them (add a space somewhere in the text and then delete it, ...) to get the app to treat it as a "new" file.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:50 AM   #24
GalaxyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Sounds like the RTFs are faulty. Perhaps the program that created them is not following the spec well.

Another possible workaround, would be to open them in a good text editor that supports RTF (Windows' Wordpad, ...) and then resave them using a different filename. You may need to "touch" them (add a space somewhere in the text and then delete it, ...) to get the app to treat it as a "new" file.
Occam's Razor! The simplest solution turns out to be the best. Opened one of the RTF files that Calibre rejected and changed a single character space and then just saved the file. It then worked correctly in Calibre. Clearly this was/is a case of the RTF files that I'm using not having been properly compiled.

Many thanks!
Old 07-29-2018, 05:54 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What actually are the files that you're trying to convert? If they're something like Word documents, you'd be a lot better off saving them as DOCX files than RTF. Calibre does an excellent job of converting DOCX.

PDF is the last format in the world you should be converting from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #26
GalaxyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What actually are the files that you're trying to convert? If they're something like Word documents, you'd be a lot better off saving them as DOCX files than RTF. Calibre does an excellent job of converting DOCX.

PDF is the last format in the world you should be converting from.
It's a hodge-podge of formats. I 'found' a Sci-Fi library that's comprised of a little bit of everything in terms of formats. I'm converting everything to azw3 for my Kindle.

PDF isn't ideal, but sometimes it's the best quality iteration of whatever book it is that I'm converting, so...

Thanks again for the help/idea.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You will not get help here with pirated books. Please don't ask again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote