Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
And with that, initial voting is complete and we have a three-way tie! This means we'll have a run-off between:

-The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
-The People in the Trees
-Green Mansions

This being the first month of our refresh and under the circumstances, this run-off will last two days instead of the customary one.

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

Please refer to the first post for all other information, and any questions feel free to ask.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
To clarify, can we still give 2 votes to a single item of the 3 books in the list?

For example we could vote

A 2, B 0, C 0

Or,

A 1, B 1, C 0

Or, if you don’t want to use 2 votes,

A 1, B 0, C 0
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes to all those!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I’ll start with one vote for The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and mull over what to do with my other.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm giving one vote to Green Mansions and reserving the other until tomorrow.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 AM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was waiting to see if anyone else voted. If I give one vote each, then there will still be a tie! So, I will give 1 vote to Green Mansions since it was the book in the first poll that seemed to appeal to everyone.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
In truth, I was holding out because I didn't want to be the deciding vote as a newbie. But I am glad for Green Mansions as I would have voted for that .

Manybooks has the epub here and Librivox has a recording by Mark Smith (who is pretty decent) here.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

About an hour left to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was waiting to see if anyone else voted. If I give one vote each, then there will still be a tie! So, I will give 1 vote to Green Mansions since it was the book in the first poll that seemed to appeal to everyone.
I’d have to look up what our run off tie breaker is. If I’m not mistaken I think it’s now the first book to receive all its votes... so if you voted for both and no other votes were cast then it would depend on how you’d listed your votes!

I was leaning toward The Unlikely Pilgrimage mainly because it seems a little more different than the kind of selections we’ve had in the past (you did much better than me with that this month!) so apropos for our first month with the refresh and for New Beginnings, but of course I’ll be quite happy with either of the others too; they also fit well and I did nominate them after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
In truth, I was holding out because I didn't want to be the deciding vote as a newbie.
Don’t let that hold you back! We love newbies or drop-ins to have as big a say as they can, including being the deciding vote, as long as they plan to participate in the discussion. We’re a small club so it’s inevitable that anyone who nominates or votes can wield a large influence on the results.

Last edited by sun surfer; 07-11-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Run off voting is over and the winner is Green Mansions! I’m looking forward to it.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Well, I’m reading both! I am 20% through The Unlikely Pilgrimage. It is different than what we’ve read before, but I think Green Mansions might lead to better discussion material. I’m looking forward to it too!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Green Mansions was made into a movie in 1959 starring Anthony Perkins and Audrey Hepburn.