Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 04:15 AM   #1
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Question: Calibre on RaspberryPi

Hi All,

With the recent addition of metadata editing on the content server, I was wondering if it would be possible to setup Calibre on a Raspberry Pi device?

I searched and I can see a couple of threads from 2013 but none that say either way if it will work.

Has anyone managed to get Calibre working on a PI? If so can you post instructions/link to instructions?

I run my PI in headless mode and command line only, but I am not a Linux user, I just follow guides

Appreciate any advice.
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Here's a more recent threat ==>> How to get Calibre 3 running on Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Jessie?.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Thanks, looks like it’s not possible at present which is a shame, maybe someone will come up with a repo in the future.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Arch linux has up to date calibre versions and can be installed on a RPi, see for isntance https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Thanks kovidgoyal unfortunately I use minibin as the footprint is smaller, if I ever wipe the os I will look to switch.

That’s one of the things I find annoying in Linux, multiple os’s with multiple distribution packages that only works on certain systems.

Oh well.
Advert
Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi All, just wanted to provide an update for anyone finding this topic and wanting help.

first Buster which is in testing has 3.27 available, at time of writing. Sid has 3.28 I used Buster to install.

1) Edit your sources.list from /etc/apt directory to include
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster main

2) run apt-get upgrade and apt-get update
3) Now you can run the install as
apt-get install -t buster calibre

4) It takes awhile to install including all the dependencies
5) Now you can start the content server (BTW it took me awhile to find the install under usr/share directory)
6) type crontab -e
7) enter a line
@reboot calibre-server --log=pathtolog pathtolibary --daemonize
replace pathtolog and pathtolibary with your locations

that should be you up and running.

I still need to see if it is possible to run the wireless device to sync the changes back or if I still need to do this via a PC.

hope this helps someone else.

Tags
arm, calibre, raspberry pi