Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Calibre and Kindle Fire not showing new books

Hi
Quick question, I have a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle Fire HD. When I plug the keyboard in it detects any new books I have downloaded from Amazon.

However when I plug the Fire in it just shows existing books in the library and not any new books.

I checked the settings but I don’t see anything obvious can any help fix this?

Also slightly lesser question on the keyboard when I send a book it also sends a file that gives me page numbers, can the fire also get this file to show page numbers?

Thanks for the help and advice
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi Can anyone help me with getting Calibre to detect the new books on the fire please?

Thanks
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
kopinaton
kopinaton began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Fire
Same problem for me!
kopinaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click the device icon in calibre and select the appropriate folders to scan for books. Presumably the downloaded books are somewhere the driver does not scan by default.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi Kovidgoyal,

I had initially thought of that, and set it for testing to scan all folders, but the issue remains.

Thanks
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you actually see the files on your device, say using windows explorer?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi Kovidgoyal,

Yes I can, not sure if this is anything to do with it or just how a Fire works but with the Kindle Keyboard I can see the files and the date they were added, with the fire it shows the date as 1 Jan 1970 once a book has been added, it looks like 0 unix time.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Where on the device are they located? i.e. post the full path and filename for one of these books.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi the folder is /sdcard/android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/books then a folder made up of ASIN which has a prc file inside it.

Double checked and android is enabled in the scanned folders list

thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button) and post the debug log after connecting to the fire.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually, never mind, I see that the path starts with the "Android" folder. The Android folder is force ignored regardless of the ignored folders setting, as it often contains a large number of files that can slow down scanning the device a lot. You will have to move the files out of that folder, somewhere else to have calibre see them.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Thanks Kovidgoyal,

as this is the default download folder now will this be changed (even with a warning of slowness) or can we change it ourselves?

Will try moving the books tonight and post my success/failure.

Appreciate the help
Old 08-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi Just so everyone knows, moving the files to a new folder manually allowed them to be imported, not a great solution but manageable. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in future.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
Hi Just so everyone knows, moving the files to a new folder manually allowed them to be imported, not a great solution but manageable. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in future.
Go back and read Kovids answer. It is not something that can be fixed.
ANDROID rules Excludes that folder. Them's the rules
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Hi theducks,

Kovids answer implies that it is blocked by Calibre not ANDROID if it is calibre then it can be fixed; surely even with a warning message that scanning this folder will cause slowness.

Plus if the folder is always com.amazon.kindle/files/books then surely an exception can be made to this block for this one subfolder in the code assuming it is calibre block?

As this is the default download location for Fire HD then it either needs fixed or a warning message displayed otherwise people will wonder why calibre will not see their books on a fire.

thanks

Tags
books, calibre, detection, fire hd