Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
renatopdalencar
renatopdalencar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Boyue Likebook Mars and ghosting

Hello there!

In this video, it's pointed out that he Mars displays some heavy ghosting of previous pages when reading comics, something that apparently doesn't happen on the Kindle Oasis. I wonder if this problem is inherent to the Likebook Mars, or a matter of configuration and/or using an e-ink friendly reading app. I understand that KOreader is one, so maybe using it, I could set the device to refresh after every page turn and so get rid of the ghosting showed in the video? My main use for the device would be reading .cbz manga and black comics, along with ebooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHat2omvR1U&t=212s
renatopdalencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatopdalencar View Post
Hello there!

In this video, it's pointed out that he Mars displays some heavy ghosting of previous pages when reading comics, something that apparently doesn't happen on the Kindle Oasis. I wonder if this problem is inherent to the Likebook Mars, or a matter of configuration and/or using an e-ink friendly reading app. I understand that KOreader is one, so maybe using it, I could set the device to refresh after every page turn and so get rid of the ghosting showed in the video? My main use for the device would be reading .cbz manga and black comics, along with ebooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHat2omvR1U&t=212s
It is a matter of both the screen setting and the app selection.
Mars can do A2 mode (fluent but not completely refreshing) - something the Oasis can't
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
renatopdalencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It is a matter of both the screen setting and the app selection.
Mars can do A2 mode (fluent but not completely refreshing) - something the Oasis can't
I see. A2 mode isn't something that particularly interests me, because I much prefer a "perfect" and clean image, than a fast page turn. Do you think that using an app like KOreader (which is intended for E-ink screens) along with the right settings (like refresh after every page, if possible), I could get a clean image with no ghosting in every page?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see. A2 mode isn't something that particularly interests me, because I much prefer a "perfect" and clean image, than a fast page turn. Do you think that using an app like KOreader (which is intended for E-ink screens) along with the right settings (like refresh after every page, if possible), I could get a clean image with no ghosting in every page?
I had a Mars and was able to sell it with a clear conscience.
Now I have Ares and Alita and of course you can generally set both so that each page is refreshed.
I don't know about Koreader because I don't use it.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Now I have Ares and Alita and of course you can generally set both so that each page is refreshed.
I don't know about Koreader because I don't use it.
Yes, you can set KOReader for Android to refresh after every page.

Hopefully helpfully,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #6
renatopdalencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Yes, you can set KOReader for Android to refresh after every page.

Hopefully helpfully,

[INCANUS]
Yes, you were indeed extremely helpful. Thank you so much! Now the only thing that makes me wary of getting the Mars is the number of people reporting about having dead/frozen units after not using them for a while or after a firmware update. Since you got a Mars yourself, what's your take on this matter?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Yes, you were indeed extremely helpful. Thank you so much! Now the only thing that makes me wary of getting the Mars is the number of people reporting about having dead/frozen units after not using them for a while or after a firmware update. Since you got a Mars yourself, what's your take on this matter?
I've never had any issues with firmware update and freezing after on my Mars.

For the other bit, I read daily so I really couldn't tell you.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Enviado desde mi SM-P350 mediante Tapatalk
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:28 AM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
I have the Alita and my general take is that without A2 activated the reading experience is slow. With it activated you get ghosting. As for viewing comics having tried a few apps they all disappoint. First of all these devices lack a colour screen so you lose all the life and joy of the comic experience. Secondly, I've been spoilt by reading them on a PC using YAC which is brilliant. On Android e-readers there is no YAC (Yet another comic reader) application or anything that comes close. No way would I recommend an e-reader for those into comics/mangas etc. For some time now I've struggled to find anything Boyue e-readers are good at.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
For some time now I've struggled to find anything Boyue e-readers are good at.
Then read outside or even in the sun.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #10
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

True, but not a very useful factor considering that my Kindle and the wife's Kobo can be also be used in bright sunlight. They were a fraction of the price of these Boyue units. The Kindle and Kobo devices are also dead easy to use - they've had the bugs ironed out by the developers.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
True, but not a very useful factor considering that my Kindle and the wife's Kobo can be also be used in bright sunlight. They were a fraction of the price of these Boyue units. The Kindle and Kobo devices are also dead easy to use - they've had the bugs ironed out by the developers.
But neither with Kindle nor with Kobo you can see comics properly and apart from that there are other applications that process comics quickly and cleanly
Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
bazz2004
Groupie

True again but I'm saying that all these devices are a poor choice for reading comics which are seen at their best in colour. Until there is a colour screen device available from one of the established names like Apple, Kindle or Kobo you are much better off with a computer or iPad to enjoy reading comics. It looks unlikely to happen though. So, if you think reading comics is a good reason to buy an e-reader prepare to be disappointed.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
True again but I'm saying that all these devices are a poor choice for reading comics which are seen at their best in colour. Until there is a colour screen device available from one of the established names like Apple, Kindle or Kobo you are much better off with a computer or iPad to enjoy reading comics. It looks unlikely to happen though. So, if you think reading comics is a good reason to buy an e-reader prepare to be disappointed.
Of course, a colored device is better for colored books.
But color devices have major disadvantages in the gray scale range - eInk is optimal here.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
bazz2004
Groupie

We'll have to agree to differ. This isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I read comics on an Onyx Nova 7.8". The Onyx is the best device I've ever owned to read comics. I bought it mainly to read comics and also to read pdf files, particularly scanned pdfs. I cannot read comics on an LCD screen; they hurt my eyes. I can read all day on e-ink.

The Onyx allows me to set how often to refresh the screen so I can balance between ghosting and screen-flashing and speed.

The Onyx Neoreader app allows me to divide large pages into separate panels in a number of different configurations, and also to define what direction to read between panels. I think this software is essential if one is reading on a screen smaller than 9.7".

I can also move quickly in and out of a dictionary when I am reading comics in a foreign language.

The Onyx screen also seems to be particularly clear when reading comics. The Neoreader app also has a lot of image processing options, like contrast and sharpening.

I don't wish to be an Onyx fanboy, but the device is excellent for reading comics, both because of hardware, and also because of software.

Edit: I do get ghosting on the Onyx. There are pretty easy ways to flash the screen manually and automatically per app (though I'm still trying to work that latter method out). I must admit, a little ghosting doesn't bother me that much. The only time it does bother me is when it interferes with the black background in reverse night mode when reading books.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 05-28-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote