Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
ulrichhoffmann
ulrichhoffmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on iPad
trying to create enhanced Kindle edition / multimedia eBook

Hi,
I am trying to embed audio and video in an enhanced Kindle edition eBook to be sold on Amazon. It must be possible somehow, because there are enhanced editions on sale (like this FREE one http://www.amazon.com/Vampires-Bansh...ees+and+angels or this one http://www.amazon.com/Haven-Kindle-E...9405370&sr=8-1).
I am able to create a valid EPUB either with Legend Maker software (from an RTF) or by making a HTML-file an converting it with Calibre.
I am going to attach the newest set of test files created with Textwrangler (HTML) and Calibre (conversion into EPUB and MOBI).
I understand that the Desktop-Apps do not play multimedia, but Kobo and iBooks on my iPhone open the EPUBs just fine and play the audio/video.
What never works - but is crucial to me - is the MOBI file. In this case, it just displays an empty page, no multimedia elements at all. In other cases there was some kind of thumbnail, accompanied by an error message. Either way, my media did not play.
I also created AZW3 files, but they did not open in the Kindle App on the iPhone. I renamed them MOBI to force them to open, and then they looked just like the original MOBI-files (empty).
Does anyone here know how to end up with a functional enhanced (multimedia) Kindle eBook? Is there a problem with my HTML-files to begin with?
(I understand that there's rumors that only big publishers are allowed to upload these to Amazon - that might or might not be true - right now I am only trying to create the file locally, which should be possible either way, even if it could not be sold through Amazon via self-publishing.)
Thanks so much - if you need any additional information, just let me know!
(Oh, I am working on a Mac, OS X Mountain Lion.)
Best wishes, Ulrich
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre Forum.zip (7.22 MB, 192 views)
ulrichhoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichhoffmann View Post
I am trying to embed audio and video in an enhanced Kindle edition eBook to be sold on Amazon.
Only publishing houses can upload Mobi7 Kindle books with embedded video and audio files. (AZW3 doesn't support embedded video/audio files.)

You cannot created them with Calibre nor with KindleGen.

See this post for details.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
ulrichhoffmann
ulrichhoffmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Only publishing houses can upload Mobi7 Kindle books with embedded video and audio files. (AZW3 doesn't support embedded video/audio files.)

You cannot created them with Calibre nor with KindleGen.

Hi Doitsu,
in that case, how DO publishing houses create these files? They must come from somewhere?
If you google how magazines are made, you quickly stumble upon InDesign and such ... in this case: nothing.
I understand that I might not be able to upload and sell the file.
What I don't understand is: The enhanced ebooks are still (called) MOBI files - what's the difference to unenhanced ebooks, why can't they be made from enhanced EPUB files, and how *can* they be created (even if I don't necessarily have the tools at my disposal)?
Thanks so much, Ulrich
ulrichhoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
in that case, how DO publishing houses create these files? They must come from somewhere?
No idea.

Some time ago I did some experiments exactly following the code in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines and never got it to work, however, this might have been due to an outdated Kindle for iOS version. (Enhanced Kindle books only work with iOS Kindle apps and current Kindle Fire models.)

Have you tried to implement the code examples from the guidelines?

Quote:
What I don't understand is: The enhanced ebooks are still (called) MOBI files - what's the difference to unenhanced ebooks, why can't they be made from enhanced EPUB files, and how *can* they be created (even if I don't necessarily have the tools at my disposal)?
The official Amazon compiler, KindleGen, always creates hybrid AZW3/Mobi7 files with the extension .mobi regardless of the content and adds the proper extension depending on the device/app of the buyer upon delivery.

Since this is an Amazon/Kindle specific question, you may want to re-post it in the Kindle formats forum.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Austwriter
Austwriter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I use a streaming technique for video. One problem is including large videos (Bandwidth) with the book file and of course at the moment mobi won't allow embedding.

The Great Space Race

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8A73IO

http://www.thegreatspacerace.com.au
Austwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert