Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Trying out the pre-rooted 1.1 update

I was also curious about the 1.1 update but didn't want to lose root, so I went ahead and tried out the pre-rooted update. Turned out to be very painless -- all my apps and their data were maintained.

[The notes say adb is lost, but seems to work for me. I did use adb wireless though (and then checked usb). Shrug. Update: they don't say it anymore, the report of adb failure was user error]

But, I'm not sure I find the advantages worth it. The pinch-zoom in stock browser is indeed not as smooth and responsive as it should be. First boot is slow, but subsequent ones went faster.

I am happy to have now switched to clockworkmod and to have a nandroid backup, though.

Last edited by zartemis; 01-28-2011 at 04:18 AM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

In case others want to try it out and don't know how to get clockwork mod installed:

Download Rom Manager from the market and then follow these instructions starting from the second image. It used to be that the market Rom Manager didn't know about the Nook Color clockworkmod image, but now it does, so no need to manually install Rom Manager or download clockworkmod separately (Rom Manager will do it for you).

Note that if you do this you will no longer be able to reset your device using the 8-failed reboots. Your only recovery will be through either 1, clockwork recovery or 2, booting off of the SD card (say, using Nookie Froyo) and fixing it from there (dd-ing a good image or even just putting back the BN recovery).

Clockwork is a replacement for the BN recovery method with more features, including making full system level backups of your device (nandroid backups).
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
So it sounds like it's not worth the trouble.....especially for those who are less familiar with the process, and are happy where we're at anyways....

How does the pinch to zoom compare with dolphin.....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
I am pretty content with what I have going on right now, so as long as the disable auto update fix holds, I am happy! I may rethink it when they do the "big" update, but for now I am just crossing my fingers that my nook won't auto update.
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
So it sounds like it's not worth the trouble.....especially for those who are less familiar with the process, and are happy where we're at anyways....

How does the pinch to zoom compare with dolphin.....
I never rooted so I can't compare to Dolphin, but suffice it to say the pinch to zoom in the stock browser is nearly useless. It is jumpy and jittery and makes the web page look like an epileptic seizure. Whatever the opposite of smooth is, that describes the PTZ!

Last edited by jswinden; 01-28-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict

With this update you can upgrade to Dolphin 4.3 and pinch-zoom now works. But.

I've downgraded Dolphin HD back to 4.2 since the pinch-zoom is as bad as the stock browser. I suspect Dolphin 4.3 is using a native android function instead of a prior method and this native function is what BN added in 1.1, enabling pinch-zoom in both the stock browser and Dolphin 4.3, but badly implemented.

The Dolphin 4.2 zoom is much better.

I don't use this as a reader (that's what my Kindle3 and Nook Classic are for), so the screen brightness adj in stock reader isn't a big deal for me, nor do I use the speaker.

The Android market that gets installed with the pre-rooted update on XDA is the new market. It's snazzier and folks who don't use a front-end like appbrain might like it. The top install button does get cut off, but that's cosmetic, not a functional problem.

It was a really easy process, though. Took about 10 minutes, 5 of those to make the nandroid update. I had no permissions issue or shop issues as others report on XDA, other than having to install the youtube.apk since it's not currently included in the download.

Last edited by zartemis; 01-28-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I did this prerooted update as well and it was indeed painless. I had been running the 1.1ghz kernel and it reset that back to 800, but besides that everything was good. The new market is nice because there is the install all button which was missing in my old market.

I think the new update is a little bit faster but that is extremely subjective.

I imagine if one didnt want to install CWR they could do the sdcard install of CWR and update the firmware from that, but dont know if anyone has tried that.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I did this prerooted update as well and it was indeed painless. I had been running the 1.1ghz kernel
Which one are you using? Have you tried it out yet on the 1.1.0 update? Now that I have nandroid backups, I'm interested in checking out the OC kernels.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Which one are you using? Have you tried it out yet on the 1.1.0 update? Now that I have nandroid backups, I'm interested in checking out the OC kernels.
I lied. It turns out I did have problems with button savior and usb debugging, titanium backup AND youtube, but it appears that I have that all worked out.

In anycase I am running the kernal-1100mhz-omap3630.zip from this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Ive run it on both 1.0.1 and 1.1.0 with 0 problems. It makes the NC a BEAST its so fast. You do sacrifice battery life however. I also ran the 900mhz from another thread for a while but think this is the way to go. You need SetCPU or equiv to rachet up the processor though.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
In anycase I am running the kernal-1100mhz-omap3630.zip from this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Ive run it on both 1.0.1 and 1.1.0 with 0 problems. It makes the NC a BEAST its so fast.
I've just installed it (already had SetCPU installed, just updated the settings to take advantage of the higher speed). It makes the pinch-zoom in the stock browser much smoother. I've re-updated Dolphin HD to 4.3 and its pinch-zoom is better too (I'd say it is still less smooth than 4.2, but I can live with it now).
Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I've just installed it (already had SetCPU installed, just updated the settings to take advantage of the higher speed). It makes the pinch-zoom in the stock browser much smoother. I've re-updated Dolphin HD to 4.3 and its pinch-zoom is better too (I'd say it is still less smooth than 4.2, but I can live with it now).
Try xscope trial.. its unbelievably smooth (and FAST) http://www.appbrain.com/app/xscope-browser-trial/sui.m

You will think you own an ipad In fact a friend and I ran speed tests, and xscope consistantly beat or tied his ipad for speed in loading pages.

Last edited by volwrath; 01-28-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Try xscope trial.. its unbelievably smooth (and FAST) http://www.appbrain.com/app/xscope-browser-trial/sui.m
Yes, it's nice. But I'm dependent on my lastpass plugin for Dolphin and wouldn't want to give up definable gestures.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Please help!

Went through the pre-rooted process, but no matter what I do Market just force closes. Also, after I log in to my account in Youtube, it works fine, but after I reboot it force closes too. If I clear the data for Market and Youtube, Youtube will let me sign in again, and the Market will ask me to accept terms, but then they both force close. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling them.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #14
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Please help!
You could restore your nandroid backup and get back to your working, rooted 1.0.1 state and then try again. Clockwork mod makes it reasonably fast to start over (although if you have a lot of apps, the restore can take 5 or more minutes).
Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Please help!

Went through the pre-rooted process, but no matter what I do Market just force closes. Also, after I log in to my account in Youtube, it works fine, but after I reboot it force closes too. If I clear the data for Market and Youtube, Youtube will let me sign in again, and the Market will ask me to accept terms, but then they both force close. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling them.
Are you wiping data with Titanium or clearing cache with NOOkcolor Tools? Check your permissions.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote