Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #61
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
slickferret page does NOT work.There are NO links on linnks page and I had problems trying to leave ANY comment on it. If someone can reach owner, tell them. A
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #62
slickferret
slickferret began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
slickferret page does NOT work.There are NO links on linnks page and I had problems trying to leave ANY comment on it. If someone can reach owner, tell them. A
You told him! Thanks, and fixed! Sorry about that!
slickferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #63
saugen48
saugen48 began at the beginning.

Pooh.....are you the same Pooh over at gardenweb computer help forum

GeneS
saugen48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #64
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickferret View Post
You told him! Thanks, and fixed! Sorry about that!
Hi
Tried your site on Kindle - just kept getting a whole blacked out block obscuring the links.
alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #65
slickferret
slickferret began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alban View Post
Hi
Tried your site on Kindle - just kept getting a whole blacked out block obscuring the links.
Can you please send an email to slickferret@gmail.com, so we can troubleshoot this away this forum? I don't want to take bandwidth away from this thread. Once I have your email address, I will ask you some basic troubleshooting questions to see what's up.

Thanks!
slickferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
infosprt
infosprt began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, HTC8100, Kindle 2, iPad
Hi,

I put a change in yesterday (Feb 12, 2011) so that panning and zooming the map is easier. To do that I had to move the pan and zoom controls off the map. Also, I simplified the home page to make things quicker to access.

-Al, www.kindlemap.net
infosprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #67
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
www.kinstant.com (formatted for K3)
http://kinstant.com/k2/ (formatted for K2)

Links to various sites made kindle-friendly.

http://kinstant.com/maps/

Kindle-friendly Google Maps directions

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-18-2011 at 09:46 PM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #68
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Don't see that this has been posted before...Sorry if it has!
Kindlefish - http://kindlefish.t15.org/ - languge translation site for Kindle. It's a 'front end ' site for google translate which doesn't work well on Kindle browser...I just tried it and it is very cool!! Here's a link to a description and review- http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...al-translator/

EDIT: Currently for 3G on 3.1 (and a patch for DX), not K2 or K2i ....Bummer

EDIT: 4/5/2011 Now works with the K1, K2, and DX.....very cool!

Last edited by GoSharks; 04-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #69
tempname2001
tempname2001 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
yeah,a good thread!
tempname2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #70
pfogarty
pfogarty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hundreds of Kindle ready sites for you!

I took your idea really to heart and so I built this unique website called http://www.anysubjects.com which is I believe the first website designed to provide the world with hundreds of Kindle ready links.

I set myself the challenge of finding as many websites as I could which I could use on my Kindle browser. The restriction I set myself was only websites which did not need me to change any of the settings on the Kindle such as the font or screen orientation could be included.

I have listed hundreds of sites, far more than my Kindle bookmarks could hold. The idea being people bookmark this site and then work from there. Any websites I have missed, they are free to tell me, and I will add it in so that everyone sees all their favourite Kindle ready websites in one place.

I hope other people like my efforts!
pfogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #71
Pollik
Pollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-books

Search on the Kindle

I apologise because I am sure this must have been discussed, but I can't find it (probably too impatient).

I have the Kindle 3 (I think, leastways it was new 5 days ago). Using Calibre, I have sorted 3000 books into collections based on Dewey and accepted Literary Genres. Done all that, made a few mistakes on the way, but it good now.

The problem I have is the Search facility. I expect search to be slow, but I am finding it problematic in actually finding the search target.

For example, I search on "Adams" and after about 3 minutes it produces a single result. I have about a dozen books by Douglas Adams, most of which do not appear in the search. Is this par for the course? Are there any tips or tricks that might help?

What I feel at the moment is that I have an unreliable search that is also very slow...or, in other word, no use at all.

Polly
Pollik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #72
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can rebuild your search indexes.....

7. Open the System folder on the Kindle disk
8. Open the Search Indexes folder inside the System folder
9. Select all files inside the System Indexes folder and move them to the
Recycle Bin [I.E., delete them]

11. Safely eject the Kindle
12. Disconnect the Kindle from the computer

Restart the Kindle, for good measure.

Then, the search indexs will be rebuild...plug it into power, and wait a few hours or so.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #73
Pollik
Pollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-booksPollik has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
and wait a few hours or so.
A few hours?

That might be my problem in the first place, then. I was expecting to be able to search after sideloading 3,000 books.

I will try again.

Thanks for the tip
Pollik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #74
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollik View Post
A few hours?

That might be my problem in the first place, then. I was expecting to be able to search after sideloading 3,000 books.

I will try again.

Thanks for the tip
If you are sideloading 3000 books all at once (), I can almost guarantee that your indexing will get "stuck" on one (corrupted book file).... the way to know is to do a search on a gibberish word. You will see a screen that will tell you if your Kindle is still indexing and how many...if that number doesn't change in a few minutes, it's stuck and you need to try to find which book it is stuck on, which is a REAL pain. I would recommend only loading 10-20 books at a time to make it easier to isolate if you have a problem. I sideloaded 200 books at once and then I had to delete them gradually until I found the corrupted one.

If you are still having problems, start a new thread in the Kindle forum rather than in this thread...this one is for 'links' people have found.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #75
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollik View Post
Using Calibre, I have sorted 3000 books into collections based on Dewey and accepted Literary Genres. Done all that, made a few mistakes on the way, but it good now.
The Kindle is an Ebook-Reader, not a library. What the hell are you doing with 3000 books? Reading all? I don´t think so.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote