Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
How to make listlike hanging indents for KFX (example code in post)

Hi all. I am making a prayer book. Many prayers have portions known as "versicle" and "response" (think call-and-response). Traditionally, they are designated with "V." and "R." to the left of the versicle or response text, like so.

I am referring to this as a "hanging indent," which may not be the correct term, because in word it is accomplished by setting a hanging indent, typing "V." or "R.", and pressing tab. I'm calling it "listlike" because we most often see it in numbered lists. For example:
  1. This item is to the right of a piece of text (in this case "1.") and has a flush left margin. This item is to the right of a piece of text (in this case "1.") and has a flush left margin. This item is to the right of a piece of text (in this case "1.") and has a flush left margin.

The trouble is that KFX does not support any of the features that I would ordinarily use to achieve this effect. I have spent a few hours with Sigil and Kindle Previewer trying to find a solution.

I've been using the following html:

Code:
<h1>Version A</h1>

<div><p><span>V. </span>Text of Versicle. This should wrap and have a flush margin when it wraps to make everything nice and pretty and I'm really not sure why I keep typing except to make sure I have a large enough test paragraph.</p></div>

<h1>Version B</h1>

<div><span>V. </span><p>Text of Versicle. This should wrap and have a flush margin when it wraps to make everything nice and pretty and I'm really not sure why I keep typing except to make sure I have a large enough test paragraph.</p></div>

<h1>Version C</h1>

<div><span>V</span><p>Text of Versicle. This should wrap and have a flush margin when it wraps to make everything nice and pretty and I'm really not sure why I keep typing except to make sure I have a large enough test paragraph.</p></div>
Note that version A has the "V. " <span> inside the body <p>, whereas B and C have it outside. Version B and Version C differ in that Version B has "V. ", whereas C has "V" with no punctuation or spacing.

I've tried a lot of different approaches. The obvious one, using a custom list-style-type, doesn't work because KFX doesn't support the required property value.

Code:
/*Doesn't work because KFX doesn't support strings for list-style-type property.*/
p {
  display: list-item;
  list-style-type: "V. "
}
Another obvious one, which was meant to work with Version A, also fails because KFX does not support "display: inline-block". This CSS would have set up a normal hanging indent of 2em, and made the "V. " <span> 2em wide so it took up that whole indent.

Code:
span {
  width: 2em;
  display: inline-block;
}
p {
text-indent: -2em;
padding-left: 2em;
}
The least-kludgey solution is this:

Code:
div {
  margin-top: .5em;
  margin-bottom: .5em;
  position: relative;
}
span {
  display:block;
  position:relative;
  float: left;
  width: 1.25em;
}
p {
  display: block;
  position: relative;
  padding-left:2em;
  margin: 0;
}
My understanding is that on a device that handles CSS correctly, the foregoing code would achieve the desired result. It looks right in the Sigil preview. It looks almost right on Kindle, but unfortunately, this code creates a normal firstline indent with width equal to the width of the <span> (so, in this case, 1.25em). I don't understand why it would do that. I have tried forcing the <p> to ignore the <span>, using things like "position: absolute" and "position: relative," to no avail. I also tried and failed to set the <span>'s height to equal the height of the <p> element, which would give me a flush margin, to no avail. Weirdly, if I increase the padding-left property enough, for instance to "padding-left:4em," the firstline indent goes away. But 4em is a much larger left margin than I want.

After a lot of trial and error, I found a solution that works, but only with Version C.

Code:
div {
  margin-top: .5em;
  margin-bottom: .5em;
}
span {
  display:block;
  width: .001em;
  height: .001em;
}
p {
  text-indent:0;
  padding-left:2em;
  margin: 0;
}
If used with Version B, the "." wraps onto the next line, like so. And if the text in the <p> is only one line long, the "." that wraps will mess up the alignment of the following paragraph.

For several reasons, then, the solution I've found is not ideal. It feels very kludgey and has significant limitations compared to a more natural solution. But it is also the only solution that I have found that works on Kindle. Is there a better one?
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Two workable solutions for this sort of problem are to either use "float: left;" or a table with two columns.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Never use tabs, ever, except maybe in programming (contentious many say spaces) or on a mechanical typewriter.
Use a pair of styles for call and response in the wordprocessor, use docx import to Calibre. Convert to epub2 and then use the epub2 as the conversion source for old mobi or azw/KF8 depending on Kindle. Only use dual (also called joint) if sending to someone and you don't know which era of Kindle it is. Or uploading "Kindle" format to stores OTHER THAN Amazon. It's best to upload the epub2 to Amazon KDP. Gives the best / most accurate conversion for flowed layouts. Fixed layout "ebooks" are a can of worms.

No need for lists or tables. I have used "float: left;" when manually fixing exist ebooks with incorrect image formatting.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-18-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Never use tabs, ever, except maybe in programming (contentious many say spaces) or on a mechanical typewriter.
Use a pair of styles for call and response in the wordprocessor, use docx import to Calibre. Convert to epub2 and then use the epub2 as the conversion source for old mobi or azw/KF8 depending on Kindle. Only use dual (also called joint) if sending to someone and you don't know which era of Kindle it is. Or uploading "Kindle" format to stores OTHER THAN Amazon. It's best to upload the epub2 to Amazon KDP. Gives the best / most accurate conversion for flowed layouts. Fixed layout "ebooks" are a can of worms.

No need for lists or tables. I have used "float: left;" when manually fixing exist ebooks with incorrect image formatting.
Hmmm....that won't work for KF7. Sadly.

The only way I've found to use what are effectively custom list tags (the v and the r, with "." each), and have left-aligned hanging content to a box of text that is then indented, is with tables. No, that won't work on a Kindle 1, the first-ever released Kindle, but it will work on everything else.

HTML doesn't take kindly to custom list identifiers (e.g., A) instead of 1.) and we all know that tabs don't work at all. If you use required spaces, then the space in the first line will always get distorted, by the justification algorithms (but, btw, that's what we do and that's what we tell the clients, unless they want to pay us for table-making).

If it has to be perfect; if you don't care about the money paid to a formatter or are DIYing, two-cell tables are the only answer I've ever found that works on EVERYTHING.

The only reason that works in Word, at all (unlike Wordperfect, fwiw) is because you're effectively outdenting the list tag (v/r), then tabbing over to the actual margin. There isn't, afaik, any viable way to do this in the HTML and CSS that drives eBooks. (As you see, if you try a negative indent for the first line you'll have slightly misaligned first letters on the first line after the faux tab.)

Sorry.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
** WARNING ** The solution doesn't work for the KF7 format, but should work for .kf8 and .KFX and ADE.

In your .xhtml file write the following:

Code:
  <p>This is the lengthy prayer that will be followed by a versicle and response. It is flush left because I did not set a hanging indent.</p>

<p class="hanging">V.<span class="preserve">&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;</span>This is the versicle. Observe how, apart from the V. tag, the left margin is flush. In Microsoft Word, this is achieved by setting a hanging indent, typing "V.", and then pressing "tab."</p>

<p class="hanging italic">R.<span class="preserve">&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;</span>This is the response. It, too, has a flush left margin.</p>
And in your .css file write:

Code:
p {
   text-indent: 0;
   text-align: justify;
}

.hanging {
   text-indent: -3em;
   margin-left: 3em;
}

.italic {
   font-style: italic;
}

.preserve {
   white-space: pre;
}
Here you can see how it looks as .KFX:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	350
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	179326

and here as .epub:

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	350
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	179327

I can't attach the .kfx output but is ok. Below you can check the respective .epub.

Regards
Rubén

PS: Note to the administers of the site: maybe could be a good idea to allow to upload .kfx files. I wanted to upload one, and I receive the message of format not allowed.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Hanging text.epub (2.3 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-18-2020 at 10:09 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And maybe odt too.

Sorry, I missed out the indent between initial and sentence. So a simple style won't work. The tables will I guess. I'd just have had a single space and tried a larger indent after the first line. Doesn't that work? Of course the text in the first line won't line up with wrapped lines.
I read some kinds of non-breaking space to fake a tab don't work?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
** WARNING ** The solution doesn't work for the KF7 format, but should work for .kf8 and .KFX and ADE.

In your .xhtml file write the following:

Code:
  <p>This is the lengthy prayer that will be followed by a versicle and response. It is flush left because I did not set a hanging indent.</p>

<p class="hanging">V.<span class="preserve">&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;</span>This is the versicle. Observe how, apart from the V. tag, the left margin is flush. In Microsoft Word, this is achieved by setting a hanging indent, typing "V.", and then pressing "tab."</p>

<p class="hanging italic">R.<span class="preserve">&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;&#x2002;</span>This is the response. It, too, has a flush left margin.</p>
And in your .css file write:

Code:
p {
}

.hanging {
}

.italic {
}

.preserve {
   white-space: pre;
}
Here you can see how it looks as .KFX:

Attachment 179326

and here as .epub:

Attachment 179327

I can't attach the .kfx output but is ok. Below you can check the respective .epub.

Regards
Rubén

PS: Note to the administers of the site: maybe could be a good idea to allow to upload .kfx files. I wanted to upload one, and I receive the message of format not allowed.
That looks really good! Did you pick the number of en spaces manually based on the width of the "V." and "R.", or is there something about whitespace: pre that makes it line up correctly?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here you can see how it looks as .KFX
I converted your EPUB using the Kindle Previewer and everything lines up nicely for me also...until I change the font size or switch to landscape mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	179329  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I converted your EPUB using the Kindle Previewer and everything lines up nicely for me also...until I change the font size or switch to landscape mode.
Indeed. Something has changed since you posted this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=30

Now spaces are not more of fixed width. Because a margin of 3em must be the same in portrait or landscape mode (the same should happen with a negative indent of -3em).
Old 05-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJohnAdams View Post
That looks really good! Did you pick the number of en spaces manually based on the width of the "V." and "R.", or is there something about whitespace: pre that makes it line up correctly?
The property "whitespace: pre" doesn't affect the output; it's only usefull for ADE. On the other hand, the chars "&#x2002;" (a half em space of fixed width) doesn't have any effect in ADE, there only works the property "whitespace: pre". So, I combined the two procedure to have a solution for both plataforms, Kindle and ADE. But now it seems that Amazon changed something, because the fixed width spaces are not any more "fixed width"
Old 05-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was wondering if there's some way to control for each item what what a list (ol, ul) uses instead of the bullet or number. I looked but didn't find anything.

My other idea was a definition list (dl, dd, dt). I didn't find anything for that either.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Indeed. Something has changed since you posted this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=30

Now spaces are not more of fixed width. Because a margin of 3em must be the same in portrait or landscape mode (the same should happen with a negative indent of -3em).
I took a look at the book and the problem has to do with how margin and indent are handled during conversion to KFX format. Your CSS:

Code:
.hanging {
}
translates in KFX into:

Code:
  text_indent: {
    value: -9.375,
    unit: percent,
  },
  margin_left: {
    value: 9.375,
    unit: percent,
  },
So the indentation is being rendered as a fixed percentage of the screen size in KFX.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast

A few people now have mentioned tables. I tried that as well, but at least on my Oasis, using a table—even a small one—results in a clickable button on the page itself. The button brings up table controls (e.g. zoom) and is intended to make it easier to read tabular data in an ebook. But since my goal is the elegant presentation of a paragraph of text, having a button pop up would defeat the point.

Is there a way to disable that button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I was wondering if there's some way to control for each item what what a list (ol, ul) uses instead of the bullet or number. I looked but didn't find anything.

My other idea was a definition list (dl, dd, dt). I didn't find anything for that either.
Good instinct—that would be "list-style-type." In my case, I would want:

Code:
p.listlike {
  display: list-item;
  list-style-type: 'V.'
}
("display: list-item" means "treat this item as if it were in a list," which lets us (a) use tags that are appropriate for the type of content, i.e. <p> rather than <li>, and (b) avoid all the <ul> or <ol> cruft.) Unfortunately, Kindle supports a fairly limited set of list-style-type values and does not support strings.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hmmm....that won't work for KF7. Sadly.

The only way I've found to use what are effectively custom list tags (the v and the r, with "." each), and have left-aligned hanging content to a box of text that is then indented, is with tables. No, that won't work on a Kindle 1, the first-ever released Kindle, but it will work on everything else.
Then that solution of Mobi is no good. Is there a solution that will work on a K1? It's things like this is the reason why I think Mobi needs to go. Amazon having multiple version is not good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Ok, the OP wanted a solution for .KFX and here there is a solution for .KFX (not for ADE, not for .kf7).

1. In the .xhtml file:

Code:

<p class="hanging_tag">V.</p>

<p class="versicle">This is the versicle. Observe how, apart from the V. tag, the left margin is flush. In Microsoft Word, this is achieved by setting a hanging indent, typing "V.", and then pressing "tab."</p>

<p class="hanging_tag italic">R.</p>

<p class="versicle italic">This is the response. It, too, has a flush left margin.</p>

<p>This is another lengthy prayer that will be followed by a versicle and response. It is flush left because I did not set a hanging indent.</p>
2. In the .css stylesheet:

Code:
p {
   margin-bottom: 0;
}

.italic {
}

.hanging_tag {
    display: inline;
    text-align: left;
    width: 1.5em;
}

.versicle {
    display: block;
    padding-left: 18%;
    text-align: left;
    width: 81%;
}
This code works fine both, in portrait and lanscape mode, except with font size "10" in portrait mode (but is difficult to think that somebody wants to read with such font size). Also with smartphones and font-size "9" or "10" (again, those are huge font-size to read in a smartphone; I think nobody will use those sizes to read in a phone) it can be some issues with the alignment.
In landscape mode all seems to be ok. Below I attach the respective epub (by the way, .KFX has some serious issues with the property "float" —but not with the present aproximation—, that property works much better in .kf8).

Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: epub Hanging text Bis.epub (2.3 KB, 165 views)