Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
University of Adelaide Ebook Library seems to be gone

One of the great ebook libraries seems to be gone. It hadn't been maintained for a while, but was still accessible. Now, when going to

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/

I get nothing but a "page not found" notice from the Univ. of Adelaide.

Great loss if that resource should really be gone for good.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
It's still potentially accessible via Wayback Machine. It looks like you can't read online though but I got a download link. However, the download itself is garbage, so no joy there.

Last edited by maddz; 01-05-2020 at 02:57 AM.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 04:03 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Great loss if that resource should really be gone for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
It's still potentially accessible via Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180327...elaide.edu.au/

This link seems to work for the titles I tested.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:56 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that seems to be working. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes, that seems to be working. Thanks!
I'm trying to figure out why they disappeared. Seems like an awful lot of work was put into this collection to just let it go. Maybe the person who maintained it moved on?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Or there's issues with copyright and non-AUS access. (Or possibly the server has been burnt out.)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Beancounters.
I've seen loads of University web resources vanish. Like Ancient Irish Literature at UCC in Ireland.

Universities seem to care more about image and revenue now. See Dundee and the great Space Radio Astronomy scandal where they claimed they couldn't afford it etc.

The University in my home town has cared more about Empire Building and status than education for 20 years here.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Beancounters.
I've seen loads of University web resources vanish. Like Ancient Irish Literature at UCC in Ireland.

Universities seem to care more about image and revenue now. See Dundee and the great Space Radio Astronomy scandal where they claimed they couldn't afford it etc.

The University in my home town has cared more about Empire Building and status than education for 20 years here.
Got to pay for the assistant to the assistant to the assistant associate administrator of building aesthetics some how. I read an article that said that the average university now has more administrators than professors now.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Another contributing possibility is that as time has moved on from the change from being a +50 year country to being a +70 one around 15 years ago, as a result Australia's concession to that in their free trade agreement with the USA, the Adelaide collection has become increasingly irrelevant.

Project Gutenberg and Project Gutenberg Australia with an Australiana collection more than fill that +70 space already, but perhaps not so tidily. I have never checked to see if PG Australia provides for the non retrospective nature of the Australian copyright change.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #10
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
PG Australia conforms to Australian copyright: authors who died before 1955 are in the PD. The switch was non-retrospective, as you say, and the transition to L+70 has been edging along a year at a time. The current state is effectively L+63 or thereabouts.

PG Aus has among others Olaf Stapledon, PD in Oz but not L+70 until next year.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:15 AM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm trying to figure out why they disappeared. Seems like an awful lot of work was put into this collection to just let it go. Maybe the person who maintained it moved on?
The last update according to its News page was October 2016. I'm guessing that he moved on or maybe his boss did and his new boss said to stop working on it.

Regarding remarks like "assistant to the assistant to the assistant associate administrator" I worked at a university as a web site administrator in addition to other duties and sometimes fiats come down from on high that all web pages must have a consistent appearance; same header and footer, etc. Sometimes it's done at the web server level rather than page by page. Or the whole site is put under a new content management system. These pages had obviously not been integrated into the rest of the site.

Last edited by hobnail; 01-07-2020 at 12:21 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 AM   #12
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

To get such a huge number of books proof-read and formatted, there must have been many people working on it over the years, putting in hundreds, probably thousands of hours. And then someone decides to nuke it -- all that work just up in smoke... It's such a shameful waste.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:10 AM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
To get such a huge number of books proof-read and formatted, there must have been many people working on it over the years, putting in hundreds, probably thousands of hours. And then someone decides to nuke it -- all that work just up in smoke... It's such a shameful waste.
I checked several books and they were all available from Project Gutenberg and/or other sites. So it may have only been the formatting that was done. I'd also read his pages on how he set up the formatting/css and my impression was that it was a one man job.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:17 AM   #14
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

I never read those pages about the formatting. I'm pretty sure, though, that I've found books there over the years that were not available from Gutenberg, and only as scans elsewhere. I might be wrong though.

I sure liked the formatting, because it could be very quickly cleaned up to produce an epub the way I like it.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 PM   #15
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
tis official https://www.adelaide.edu.au/library/...icially-closed
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote