Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
T-bag
T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Hanlin V3
FB2 & DjVu is available for V3 update

FB2 and DjVu format can support by V3 now. I just upgrade my V3 device it really nice. I leave a message at jinke forum about CHM ZIP RAR . the good news is all the those fomat vill coming soon.

http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ice/devres.asp
T-bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What DRM format(s) does the V3 support?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The only DRM format supported by the V3 (and V2, V8...) is WOL.

However, since Mobipocket DRM is now cracked...
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
The only DRM format supported by the V3 (and V2, V8...) is WOL.

However, since Mobipocket DRM is now cracked...
We know MobiPocket and MS Reader are cracked. But that's not the point. For the average person who is not savvy enough to know all this and wants to just go online, purchase a book, load it on the V3 and just read it, WOL format is going to be useless. So for the person who is not doing content conversion, the V3 is not a device of choice.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Is it possible to convert a cracked/drmless mobipocket book into rtf or lrf?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Is it possible to convert a cracked/drmless mobipocket book into rtf or lrf?
Yes it is possible. I've converted a MobiPocket with DRM into an LRF with no DRM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We know MobiPocket and MS Reader are cracked. But that's not the point. For the average person who is not savvy enough to know all this and wants to just go online, purchase a book, load it on the V3 and just read it, WOL format is going to be useless. So for the person who is not doing content conversion, the V3 is not a device of choice.
It doesn't look like HanLin is marketing to the average user, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It doesn't look like HanLin is marketing to the average user, though.
True. But I would not want to purchase a reader that does not allow me to go to an ebook shop and purchase an ebook for the reader. If say I was to get a new model Sony or a Cybook and wanted to give that to my mom, it would be a hell of a hassle if I was giving her a V3.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Well, I would not buy an overpriced device that doesn't allow me to view PDF and djvu files freely (as well as other ordinary formats) but simply forces me to keeping paying for the problematic DRM formatted materials which deprive me of much user's right.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdevil View Post
Well, I would not buy an overpriced device that doesn't allow me to view PDF and djvu files freely (as well as other ordinary formats) but simply forces me to keeping paying for the problematic DRM formatted materials which deprive me of much user's right.
I don't think you get it to be honest.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #11
zdevil
Enthusiast

The thing is: why must I go to an ebook shop and purchase an (DRM-ed) ebook for the reader?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
The thing is: why must I go to an ebook shop and purchase an (DRM-ed) ebook for the reader?
Zero reasons.

What does it have to do with eInk readers?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You personally don't have to go to an online shop to purchase ebooks with DRM. But the average non-techie type person will want to be able to purchase the latest best seller and if he/she cannot, then the device is worthless.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
zdevil
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You personally don't have to go to an online shop to purchase ebooks with DRM. But the average non-techie type person will want to be able to purchase the latest best seller and if he/she cannot, then the device is worthless.
It is sad reality to tie up the latest best seller to the DRM format.
There are definitely great alternative sources of electronic documents other than the DRM-ed stuff, like RSS newspaper, free (non-pirated) ebook found in Project Gutenburg and other great sources, electronic journals, personal scanned material (for fair use and not for distribution), to name but a few.
DRM is technically much more advanced and sophisticated than traditional printing, but is surely functionally behind times and fares worse than ordinary paper.

Last edited by zdevil; 10-01-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is sad reality to tie up the latest best seller to the DRM format.
There are definitely great alternative sources of electronic documents other than the DRM-ed stuff, like RSS newspaper, free (non-pirated) ebook found in Project Gutenburg and other great sources, electronic journals, personal scanned material (for fair use and not for distribution), to name but a few.
DRM is technically much more advanced and sophisticated than traditional printing, but is surely functionally behind times and fares worse than ordinary paper.
But, most average folks will want to read the latest bestseller or recent paperback. So yes, they'll need to deal with DRM and if the device won't allow them to do that, then it won't sell.