Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
daithi81
daithi81 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
New Scientist latest news garbled

Hi, just checked out the updated NS feed, but if you go to page 31 you see a few dozen pages of HTML text. Just thought I would let ya know!
daithi81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
link??
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I haven't downloaded the calibre feed this week, but I used to listen to their Podcast on iTunes when suddenly it disappeared from both the iTunes store and the NS website. I love NewScientist, and have an online subscription in order to access their magazine only content, but they often seem less than enthusiastic when it comes to extending their reach beyond the magazine and website.

In short, the fault may lie with NS, not with calibre.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I just glanced at the new recipe in calibre 0.6.23 added as part of ticket #3964.

Is there some reason New Scientist is categorized as "sex"? or "computer software"? or "depression"?

Quote:
category = 'science news, science articles, science jobs, drugs, cancer, depression, computer software, sex'

troymc
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You'd have to ask darkom, New Scientists is his baby.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Sure. Understood.

It just surprised me when I saw it, so maybe I'm over-reacting.

But, my first though was "Good grief, the last thing we need is some New Scientist editor getting offended that Calibre classifies them as a 'sex magazine' and turning their attorneys loose on Kovid."

In the US, in this day & age, who knows what that could devolve into.

I must admit I'm being purely selfish - I want you coding! not answering subpoenas.

troymc
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
daithi81
daithi81 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
link??
Erm,

run -> calibre.exe -> fetch news -> english -> New Scientist -> Fetch news now

daithi81 is offline   Reply With Quote