Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
No More Free Amazon Cloud?

Near as I can tell from the email I received this morning, there is no more free cloud (I use it to read samples).

Quote:
Thanks for being an Amazon Cloud Drive customer! Amazon Cloud Drive is introducing new unlimited storage plans.

You can now save all your photos in one place with the Unlimited Photos plan for $11.99/year, plus 5 GB for videos and files. Or, if you have more than photos that you need to keep safe, the Unlimited Everything plan is perfect for all your photos, video, files, and documents, for $59.99/year.

[button] Learn more

What happens to my current plan?
Your 5 GB plan is no longer available and has been replaced with a free 3-month trial of one of the Unlimited plans. Access to your existing files has not changed. You can continue to download and view your content. In order to upload new files you will need to pick one of the free 3-month trials.

Manage your Cloud Drive account
I can still access what I already have up there (couple of books that were free that I decided not to read). I find it interesting they don't offer ANY space for free. Are there other cloud drives that still have some free space?
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks - that's interesting news, and ties in with an issue just reported in the Kindle forum. Seems reasonable that Amazon are going to try to monetise personal document storage, and $12/year seems reasonable enough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hard drive storage is so cheap, I just use that. I only recently started using the cloud because of sampling. It was RIGHT there and they kind of pushed it--Want to start reading now in the cloud???

No big deal, but I was surprised they didn't leave 2 GB or something for free to get people into the habit of thinking they couldn't live without it.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
No big deal, but I was surprised they didn't leave 2 GB or something for free to get people into the habit of thinking they couldn't live without it.
I guess the idea is perhaps that people find Cloud storage of Amazon-bought books so useful, that they're going to pay to store personal docs. Even 2GB is still an awful lot if we're talking books: 1000 or so typical novels.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess the idea is perhaps that people find Cloud storage of Amazon-bought books so useful, that they're going to pay to store personal docs. Even 2GB is still an awful lot if we're talking books: 1000 or so typical novels.
Probably so. I never thought about it. I just started using it since it was sitting right there. It's not a huge loss or even a really noticeable one. And apparently if you are a prime member you get storage so for a lot of Amazon users, they won't notice the change unless they cancel their prime.
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Probably so. I never thought about it. I just started using it since it was sitting right there. It's not a huge loss or even a really noticeable one. And apparently if you are a prime member you get storage so for a lot of Amazon users, they won't notice the change unless they cancel their prime.
That's good to know. I never use personal docs myself (I sideload all my books via USB from Calibre), but the fact it's still available for Prime members is perhaps another "incentive" to join Prime.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Note that the Unlimited Photos plan (plus 5Gb for videos and files) is included with Prime.

Not that that's very helpul for non-Prime users, but for Prime members like myself (who may have deleted that email without reading it and panicked a little when they saw this post), nothing is really changing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
realthk
realthk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Seems reasonable that Amazon are going to try to monetise personal document storage, and $12/year seems reasonable enough.
I don't think it reasonable at all: free cloud for personal documents (and sync between several devices) was a strong selling point of Kindle e-book readers. This will produce lot of angry customers, and much fewer future Kindle buyers.
realthk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
So if I'm reading this right, emailed news from calibre will still work, but there will not be a copy on amazon's servers?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
realthk
realthk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
So if I'm reading this right, emailed news from calibre will still work, but there will not be a copy on amazon's servers?
It does not work at all since they announced this service won't be free anymore...
realthk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by realthk View Post
I don't think it reasonable at all: free cloud for personal documents (and sync between several devices) was a strong selling point of Kindle e-book readers. This will produce lot of angry customers, and much fewer future Kindle buyers.
I wonder how many people buy a Kindle specifically because of free personal document storage? I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect the answer is "very few".
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KVoyage, KOasis 2, KPW4, FHD8
I was just thinking I haven't received an email but as I'm on Prime does that mean I won't?

I don't save photos at all but I do use the Cloud for personal documents. I have about 390+ stored and that's probably going to go up. I read on both my Voyage and my HDX so I need the Cloud as I have a couple of thousand non Amazon bought books.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder how many people buy a Kindle specifically because of free personal document storage? I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect the answer is "very few".
I did. I like whispersync and on holiday I'll be reading the same book on my H20 and my Voyage and probably my HDX depending where I am.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Josieb1
Wizard

Actually this doesn't seem to have hit the UK yet.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
andyh2000
Guru
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact / Kindle 4 Black / Paperwhite / Onyx Max Carta
If this does hit the UK and it disables free whisper-sync of "personal docs" (i.e. books not bought from Amazon, emailed web articles etc.) I'm going to be a bit upset.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote