Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Gigahawk: The version in my snapshots handles the Wario range of devices properly.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #32
Gigahawk
Nameless Being

Oh wow your code is looks far more complicated lol.

I was just thinking of unpacking it and changing one of the variables to run a cat on the KT2 charging directory.

Slightly off topic, but what language is all this written in, and how would I go about debugging other stuff thats crashing?

Thanks for all the stuff you do in this community man.
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Gigahawk: This, specifically (as well as a number of KUAL extensions) are basic shell scripts. (The keyword being 'shell', not 'bash', the Kindle bundles a terribly outdated version of busybox ash).

In the case of the RP/CRP, there's also an upstart job in there. Which, funnily enough, includes a shell script part xD.

I honestly don't remember how the original code looked, but it's basically three lines, so... .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-06-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #34
Gigahawk
Nameless Being

Ah thanks, that makes sense.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what exactly is "RP/CRP"?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahawk View Post
Oh wow your code is looks far more complicated lol.

I was just thinking of unpacking it and changing one of the variables to run a cat on the KT2 charging directory.

Slightly off topic, but what language is all this written in, and how would I go about debugging other stuff thats crashing?

Thanks for all the stuff you do in this community man.
Shell scripts?

enter:
sh -x script
on the command line.
or
put a:
set -x
line in the script itself.

Same-Same as Bash in this respect.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Gigahawk: RP: RescuePack; CRP: Coward's Rescue Pack.

(I tend to use a *lot* of acronyms, hopefully most of them should be transparent when used in-context, but don't hesitate to ask if something looks fishy ^^).
Old 05-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #37
cr@ss
cr@ss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error attempting to install kindle-crp-3.N-r18910.tar.xz

When trying to install kindle-crp-3.N-r18910.tar.xz on my Kindle PW1 using MRPI, the install fails and this is the MPRI log.

Code:
MD5 Hash       135ceb36303ce695d8652051d3caf342
Metadata       7
Metastring     PackageName=CowardsRescuePack
Metastring     PackageVersion=3.N-r18910
Metastring     PackageAuthor=dsmid, NiLuJe
Metastring     PackageMaintainer=NiLuJe
Metastring     PackagedWith=KindleTool v1.6.5.256-geff2b3d built by portage@localhost on Gentoo
Metastring     PackagedBy=niluje@tyrande
Metastring     PackagedOn=2022-04-30 @ 18:00:48 UTC
x libotautils5
x cowardsdebrick.conf
x run.ffs
x libotautils5.sig
x cowardsdebrick.conf.sig
x run.ffs.sig
x update-filelist.dat.sig
x update-filelist.dat
--
Running 'run.ffs' for 'crp 3.N I' (Update_crp_3.N_install.bin) @ Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:23:22 -0742

system: I crp:install::Removing deprecated content
system: I crp:install::Copying cowardsdebrick job to main partition

Hu oh... Got return code 1 . . . :(
The output on the kindle screen disappears quickly, but I believe it says: "Unable to make old cowardsdebrick job mutable"

Looking at the run.ffs script, it looks like its failing at line 33
Code:
[ -f "/etc/upstart/cowardsdebrick.conf" ] && make_mutable "/etc/upstart/cowardsdebrick.conf" || otautils_die "Unable to make old cowardsdebrick job mutable"
Since, I haven't installed CRP yet, it looks like this code should fail because "/etc/upstart/cowardsdebrick.conf" doesn't exist and thus the other side of the || will run. (iow "true && false || exit 1" will run "exit 1".

So did this version ever work?
cr@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:04 AM   #38
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr@ss View Post

"Unable to make old cowardsdebrick job mutable"
This sound similar to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110

And see NiLuJe's reply https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=111
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr@ss View Post
Since, I haven't installed CRP yet, it looks like this code should fail because "/etc/upstart/cowardsdebrick.conf" doesn't exist and thus the other side of the || will run. (iow "true && false || exit 1" will run "exit 1".
Yet another example why I shouldn't try to fix stuff in a hurry without a 12H block of sleep.

Pushing fixed builds right now, thanks .
Old 05-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #40
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
What is the last model of Kindle CRP works on?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
What is the last model of Kindle CRP works on?
Code:
# Install (< Zelda, because no more diags)
kindletool create ota2 "${KT_PM_FLAGS[@]}" -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d basic -d voyage -d paperwhite3 -d oasis -d basic2 -C ../src Update_${PKGNAME}_${PKGVER}_install.bin
PW3 & KT3
Old 05-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #42
Frz
Frz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7 (KT2)
Unhappy

Just installed the May 8th version of CRP, and my Kindle 7 is stuck on the "tree" boot screen (I didn't install RP in the first place---I was a jerk).

It tried to boot into system on the first reboot even when it was plugged in, but then it rebooted again when the progress bar was half full, and stuck at the "tree" boot screen, without the progress bar.

Now it does respond to long pressing the power button and tries to restart, but it can't boot into system or diags, no matter plugged in or not. I'm sure my kindle is properly jailbroken, and SCP was installed successfully.

What are my options?
Frz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That would imply that it's failing to boot into diags, somehow :?.

That probably only leaves serial (if that's actually a thing on the KT2, I can never remember).
Old 05-09-2022, 11:23 PM   #44
Frz
Frz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7 (KT2)
I don't have the TTL dongle with me so I guess I'll leave it bricked for now :(

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, I shall provide logs if I get my hands on my TTL dongle.
Frz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:16 AM   #45
Tamschi
Tamschi began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hm... either the forum ate my message or it still has to be approved. Sorry if this shows up as duplicate, I'll keep it short. Just reconfirming something, anyway.

I successfully jailbroke my PW2 after updating to 5.12.2.2, installed some other things successfully, tried to install RP and CRP with MRPI (RP failed, CRP went through), rebooted, now I'm stuck at the tree. Which I assume means one more reason to finally learn soldering

It's not a high priority since the device was collecting dust already and I did this randomly on a whim, but if/when I get around to fixing this, I'll try to remember to post the crash log. Cheers and thanks for the helpful resources so far!
Tamschi is offline   Reply With Quote